Author Topic: Not happy with aluminum grips  (Read 5175 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: Not happy with aluminum grips
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
Dino,

There are other posts with wiser counsel than me and I will defer to them as to maintenance with aluminum grips

I have aluminum grips on my Stealth and I have no problems with them but I have very few rounds fired; something all the more difficult with present ammo shortage.

The long term question, as I perceive it, is will Rohrbaugh continue offering aluminum grips? For myself, aluminum is "okay", G10 is a material I hate and Micarta is something that I would love as an option.

From what the factory told me, Micarta was considered but nixed. I can only speculate that cost was a factor as Micarta is one of my favorite materials and can be made from different catalyst materials and different colors.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
Dino:

With that many rounds fired, I would assume that any potential problem with your set of grips would have manifested itself by now.  Regarding the source, the Administrator's post at this link may be of interest:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Water;action=display;num=1202020145;start=7#7

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
I believe the key is, are your grips solid on the frame prior to installing the screws?  In other words, are the pins assisting the screws with the side forces or not?

I suspect with that many rounds you're fine.  Next time you disassemble it, see if your grips fit the pins well.  I suspect they do.

My G10's are solid, others have said their aluminum grips are solid as well.  My aluminum grips slid around a little without the screws.  Within 30 rounds the screws had backed out.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
From what the factory told me, Micarta was considered but nixed. I can only speculate that cost was a factor as Micarta is one of my favorite materials and can be made from different catalyst materials and different colors.

Here's our version of a "micarta" grip:

Blue:

Pink:

We're currently working on a set for the R9.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 12:43:57 PM »
Interesting!!   :)    ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
Thanks men for the feedback, I am sure my aluminum grips are tight with the screws off, as I have a hard time still seperating the grips from the frame.
I will keep them unless something changes, I like the look and the checkering is sharp and keeps my sweaty hands in place.  

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
K-Man

Please post micarta grips for R9 when ready.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
I just purchased a Hogue Handall Jr (grip sleeve).

It provides a very good, almost sticky grip.  It also fattens up the grip a bit.  Considering how hard it was to put on, it will also prevent any loose grip screws from becoming a problem.

It would make pocket draw slower, but is fine for holster carry.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/