Author Topic: My R9S doesn't like the new Corbon 80gr DPX  (Read 28452 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
Re: My R9S doesn't like the new Corbon 80gr DPX
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
I received a UPS call tag today.

Offline USAF_Retired

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
So that's where all the "smileys" come from?

Sorry to say, I've got to add today's range performance to the "unfavorable column."  I'm just a novice but, I've been taking classes and shooting regularly for about a year and a half now -- and just love my R9!  However, today's effort to "select" a personal defense round -- failed.  I know on any given day, there are numerous factors that influence performance -- but, the 80gr DPX rounds just weren't happy.  I had three "double-stuffs" (FTF) in only two clips;  but my practice ammo (Remington 115gr JHP) -- worked like a champ.  

Guess I'll keep lookin...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »
welcome to the forum, enjoy. try Gold Dot 115 or 124, Winchester Silver Tips 115 or 124.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
Welcome USAF_Retired.  Other succesful ammo are Golden Sabres 147 gn. hp per Richard and ACP here on the Forum and Hornady TAP per ACP.  Hornady Critical Defense has had success as well.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
USAF_Retired:

Welcome to the campfire! When you find the load which you and your R9 prefer, just stock up on a reasonable supply and you should be good to go until we get past this current ammunition shortage.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
It is almost two month since Corbon received the 80gr DPX I returned to them.  Are they going to do something like send us new ammo or give us a credit, etc.?

Thank you

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:38 AM »
I bought four boxes from Maria about six months ago.  FINALLY got an address to return them to Corbon a while back.  I included the shot brass /FTE/FTF.

HAVE HEARD NOTHING from Corbon.

Mike Shovel, if the 80 grains are an issue, just replace them with something (roughly equivalent value) I can shoot in my Glock 22C/27 and I will be happy.  (glocks will shoot anything, even turds molded in the shape of bullets...)

Enough time wasted trying to remember to follow up on the four boxes of not inexpensive ammo.  Every day, the price of ammo escalates...
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline TeamCORBON

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
We rushed the 80 gr load out after they performed as we liked.  Excellent terminal ballistics and functioned perfectly in our test gun (Rohrbaugh R9).  All of the returned ammo we received back also fuctioned when fired thru our test gun???  We requested and received another test gun for future testing.

We are currently working on a load to replace the 80 gr.  It will be a 95 gr standard pressure load.  Terminal ballistics are the same.  This load should function better from the R9 pistols.  The main problem we're running into is lag time in getting R&D bullets and getting the performance where we want it.  In the crazy ammo world today, everything is running slower due to the extremely high demand.  I assure everybody that we are working as quickly as we possibly can on this.

Thanks,
Mike Shovel
Sales Manager
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »
I think TeamCorbon's response is a reasonable one in which they admitted that demand is driving their priorities. This is not to say that 4 boxes of ammo that does not work, (and having waited over 2 months), is not frustrating.

I have first hand experience in production. It is marketing's role to appeal to their demographic at individual and collective levels. Production's ability to keep pace in a high demand environment is altogether a different matter. Thus, with all companies.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
I can appreciate the delays in this ammo-challenged time.  

Combine the time that I waited to return it with a call tag that never came, the time and repeated (patient and respectful) attempts to get a confirmed address to ship it on my own, and no updates on the process throughout, and I have been rather patient for the WHOLE six+ months.

I knew going in that this ammo was (what we in the software business would call) "beta" release and was glad to commit my time to test it and provide a report and spent brass.  

Updates here are a much more efficient vehicle than pestering Mike with individual e-mails from every concerned party.  So I have watched the forum for updates all this time, before finally commenting yesterday.  

And, I remain willing to try a box of the new load as a field test, once it is released.  I think a controlled release of the new product in "alpha" form would save Corbon time and money.

We maintain 9 different software testing environments for essentially the same operating system (big iron, not PCs), and STILL have unexpected results when our software is released in the field - every time.  

The key is communication and setting customer expectations.

So, I appreciate the update on Plan B, Mike.
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »
Slashspat:

Your ordeal is longer and more entailed than I realized. However, I stand by what I said as to what makes companies work: Quest for Revenue.

Let Corbon speak for themselves but their priority is meeting demand. I hope for your sake, and obvious patience, that Corbon steps up to the plate.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »
02 August 2009 -- Since the "quest for revenue" seems to be precluding the development and testing of an alternative round for the R9, seems like it is time for Corbon to provide a replacement for the rounds returned.  I made a good faith investment in Corbon by paying a pretty penny for four boxes of the 80s, just to try them.  Eight months is long enough to make a Corporate decision as to the resolution.

I have other 9mm and .40 handguns, **ANY** replacement ammo would be acceptable and appreciated.
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 07:40:45 PM »
Sorry to say Corbon dropped the ball on this by any reasonable standard. I would ask for my money back since Corbon specializes in hot rounds.

For me, I only shoot 147 grain bullets out of my R9. I am convinced that the heavier bullet facilitates slide travel. I bought 147 grain Golden Sabre and Hornady TAP when that was all that was available several months ago. In my area, 9MM shortage is over, and I am sticking with the winner bullet.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
Four months today since I returned the ammunition.  I would think it reasonable if Corbon at least offered us a credit to purchase an equal dollar amount of ammunition of our choice through their website.  It would be cheaper than returning our money and I'm sure many of us have found R9 ammo we are happy with over this long period of time.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:24:56 PM by MurrayNevada »

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
OK.  I am ready to drop this and forget about the four boxes of ammo that I shipped back.  Life goes on.  

Note that my goal was to simply replace the returned ammo with ANYTHING 9mm or .40.  If and when a 95gr. Corbon is birthed, we can re-engage...

Any final word of direction/guidance/hope/plans, Mike?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:01:26 AM by slashsplat »
Μολὼν λαβέ