Author Topic: WINCHESTER 9MM SILVERTIPS AVAILABLE  (Read 19616 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: WINCHESTER 9MM SILVERTIPS AVAILABLE
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »
Well, that was another reason I tried the Silvertips first and they worked.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
I think the average shooter would certainly lean towards what was suggested by the factory, that being said there is nothing saying you cant fire old WW II surplus ammo if it works in your gun. As long as you don't try +P ammo, there is no reason not to shoot the HydraShocks, I have fired them in my R9 and they preformed flawlessly.
   There's nothing wrong with using one brand if your comfortable with that, but supply is spotty at best for Silvertips.  Unless your willing to pay crazy gun show prices or order case lots (when available) and then you have shipping that adds to the cost.
   I don't like the thought my weapon is 100% with only one brand of ammo, that is hard to come by. That's just me

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
kj, thanks again. It makes sense.

John, thanks as always for your thoughts. It's comforting to know that your R9 digested the HydraShocks without a belch, as I really like the round, and it's relatively affordable. But like you, I would like to think the pup can handle most of what it's offered, problem free.

And John, your finger extensions are just great. Along with the Hogue checkered grips, they afford a much more stable platform for me. I can get all three fingers below the trigger guard. I have put money up on a second R9s, and will be back to you for finger extensions for it when I get it.

I think these little things really are addictive. The new one will go to Cogan or someone to get tricked out, then back in the box and into the safe. I think I'm hooked.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
4mallard.  Thank you!  The addiction just lingers and has to be fed.  I've got a new one also that's either going to Robar or Cogan when I decide; not in any hurry.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Uh-oh, kj. I think this is contageous. Did I get it from you, or did you get it from me? Either way, we got it. When you decide, please get back to me as to where the pup goes for mods. I'm leaning toward Cogan, because they have a well-defined set of modifications, but Robar does some really special things, too.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »
Yep!  4mallard.  They're both so good, that's why my decision is so hard.  I like Robar because they coat the internals as well as the outside.  The internals with the coating make it so much easier to keep clean.  I asked Cogan about doing it and he said they couldn't; didn't have the provisions for doing it.

So I'm leaning more towards Robar because of that.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »
I received my 380 Silvertips from Cabela's today. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
Mine have shipped, but not received.   :)  Ahh, but I still have those I got from CCW.  I'll have some time to wait, though, for the Phil .380 to return.    :)