Author Topic: New guy looking for something unique to carry  (Read 11007 times)

Offline cadillacguy76

New guy looking for something unique to carry
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
I am new to this forum and not a current R9 owner.  A good friend of mine purchased a R9S new about 6 months ago and I have had the pleasure of using it a few times.  I love it.  

I would love to find a unique Rohrbaugh to carry.  I love the looks of the Robar but I am open to any ideas.  If anyone has any suggestions or knows of someone who has something different that they are looking to sell, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any help!!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New guy looking for something unique to carry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »
cadillacguy.  Welcome to the Forum.  See (cwc) Corey's Farmingdale in the Classifieds.  Just what you could be looking for; early models of the R9.  Again welcome.  Here's the threads:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Classifieds;action=display;num=1290266350

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Classifieds;action=display;num=1289586914

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:41:51 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
kjtrains both are now on Gunbroker and have been lifted from the forum for sale for the time being.

cadillacguy76 welcome to the forum.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
cwc.  I looked earlier and didn't see them; should have looked again.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
I edited my last reply on both adds for sale here that both were put on gunbroker and not for sale on the forum any longer a few hours ago when I listed them on gunbroker.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
cwc.  I looked earlier and didn't see them; should have looked again.

And my fault; I didn't read your last post before the one above to New guy.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
cadillacguy.  The Farmingdale doesn't come along very often.  I'd go for it.  You can't go wrong, if it's an early one you want.  Oh; and for me, you can't go more unique, than a Farmingdale!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203066443
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:00:32 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
cadillacguy76,
First let me welcome you to the group.
    I agree the Farmingdales are wonderful and collectable, but other than the Farmingdale engraving on the slide and blue CF grips they are stock R9 pistols. I would go for a new model which will have all the latest revisions and tweaks and have it done the way you want.
 Just like I wouldn't buy a classic car for an everyday commuter I wouldn't buy a Farmingdale for everyday carry.
  There are some members on here who purchased there R9s when they first came out in 2004 and have used them for everyday carry since, but if I were to get one now it would be as a collectable piece. But this is just my opinion. :D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum, cadillacguy76. John responded very well to your query of "a unique Rohrbaugh to carry." The operative words in your question are, "to carry." Keep it simple and buy the new gun of your choice to function as a self-defense weapon and not a collectible. When some of us bought Farmingdales in 2004 they were also new guns at the time. Some have become unique with time and many function quite well today as carry weapons. One of mine has never seen the light of day and I treasure it, and the other has been upgraded as my carry weapon. However, if I were to consider an initial purchase now as a shooter it would be a new one; it just depends on your priorities.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
John and tracker are correct in the word "carry".  The Farmingdale would be the collectible and you may not want to carry it, however, unique, I know it is.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:58:02 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »

"Collectible" is also a good thing.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »
CG76:

And a welcome from me as well.

I am one of those who own and have carried a Farmingdale since 2004. However, I know this gun like the back of my hand. As Tracker and John have recommended, if you are going to use a Rohrbaugh as your EDC weapon, I would get one of the new ones. The company has "tweaked" the pistol a bit over the past six years further to insure strength and reliability.

Good luck with what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol there is.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
 cadillacguy76, welcome to the forum/family as well, pull up a log and sit by the fire. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
cadillacguy76 Welcome,

I was at the Birch Run gun show here in MI today.
Randys of Bad Axe MI had 3 Rohrbaughs on his table.
R9 sites two tone $1000.00 +
R9 sites stealth (Black)$1000.00 +
R380 two tone  $900.00 +

http://www.randyshuntingcenter.com/
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
WOW, I have been to many gun shows and never seen a Rohrbaugh once. It's luck if anyplace I have called and asked about a Rohrbaugh knew what they were.
   Once I called a place that did custom gun work and was asking about porting and when he asked what make of gun, after my reply and a pause he said Oh one of those imported German made guns. :o I ruled him out. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson