Author Topic: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rounds.  (Read 36190 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rou
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
thats why there are Fords and Chevs.  Tom

And Ferraris.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
 robfxlr, though I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the Rohrbaugh and am glad the Kahr makes you happy, but the Kahr 380s are not without problems. Here is a post from a P380 owner
Here are excerpts from a letter I sent to Kahr:

Enclosed herewith please find my Model P380 serial # RA05xx in the original hard case, along with the two original magazines. This item was bought by me new (yesterday) on June 24, 2009. I went to the range the next day (today) to put the recommended two hundred rounds through it in order to properly break it in. (I used ball type ammo. for the entire incident). I must say that it was a very discouraging experience. Right from the first round, I experienced jams with numerous failure to feed instances. At first, the magazines would not feed with more than four rounds loaded. They seem to have loosened up after a while, to actually feed while loaded with six rounds. Upon closer inspection, after a while, I was able to observe that as one inserts a loaded magazine, the end of the slide stop was protruding into the magazine well, and contacting the top of the round, basically obstructing it and thereby preventing the round from loading into the barrel chamber properly. Also at the range, as well as later on the phone with your tech. support department, while attempting to chamber a round from the magazine, I also experienced several instances where the round would jam at about a 45 degree angle between the barrel and rear of the slide. Occasionally the round would make it further into the barrel before jamming with the slide stuck partially back. This necessitated a sharp blow to the rear of the slide with the palm of the left hand to get the slide closed properly.

After researching my problem and symptoms on the internet, I read that there are others who experience the same type problems with this model and they mention who by name at the company (Sean) helped them resolve their problem. There is also a lot of Kahr bashing and experiences described followed by suggestions that one should not buy a Kahr pistol due to reliability issues regarding jamming, FTF's, etc..

I decided on going with your brand yesterday, I hoped to find quality in your product, but was quite a bit put off by the problems I encountered. I had hoped to carry this pistol with me everywhere, and never have to worry about it, but as of now, this is not the case.

I appreciate your quick assistance on the phone, and hope you can get this pistol to load, shoot, eject, and cycle properly. It is a bad feeling to have paid quite a bit more for a Kahr P380 than for a P-3AT or an LCP. I would like this beautiful little gun to get working properly. am going to post my experience with your company on the internet, and I would really like to show all the Kahr-bashers that they are wrong, and that your service is above Kel-Tec and Ruger, and indeed if you spend the extra cash to get the Kahr, it is worth it, and you get what you pay for.

His issues were taken care of but only because he returned it to the factory, which you did not do with the Rohrbaugh and had you purchased the P380 he had you would have sold it and what would you be shooting now?
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
I think i would find a functioning .9mm instead of a .380 for self defense purposes.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 06:47:32 PM »
I'll 2nd that!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:05:39 AM »
utter malarchy. I had no specific issues with the R9 other than it is not a reliable gun and is more of a dewsigner safe queen. I could cut and paste blogs from dissatisfied R9 buyers and range reports but I would probably run out of space on this forum.
Even an ardent supporter such as yourself has to see that is the truth.

Great answer, Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o ;D ::) :P
"I'm a cunning linguist and a master debater!"..............Austin Powers

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 01:08:55 AM »
Agree with that, a "functioning" 9mm, key word. I love the Kahr for its size and weight, couldnt even imagine a far fetched reason to carry a Rohrbaugh over a comparable Glock other than for the size. But then again, huge huge sacrifice on reliability and dependability.
I have seen many a Rohrbaugh issue and the name "Maria" bandied aboiut on this forum. There are more disappointed reports from first range oputings than I have ever seen on any other forum..........
"I'm a cunning linguist and a master debater!"..............Austin Powers

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
A lot of this has to do with stuffing a 9mm into the smallest package available.  I bet experience will show the Rohrbaugh 380 runs like a top forever.  I am going to start shooting mine and try to wear it out.  ;)  Depends on what you looking for -- a 9mm or a .380.  Very different animals from an engineering perspective.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline musicman

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Agree with that, a "functioning" 9mm, key word. I love the Kahr for its size and weight, couldnt even imagine a far fetched reason to carry a Rohrbaugh over a comparable Glock other than for the size. But then again, huge huge sacrifice on reliability and dependability.
I have seen many a Rohrbaugh issue and the name "Maria" bandied aboiut on this forum. There are more disappointed reports from first range oputings than I have ever seen on any other forum..........

hi Rob, somehow i think you have the completely wrong idea here....

The R9 is superior to the Kahr on so many levels... the number of Kahr problems is staggering...

i have PM 45 from Kahr, and it is the most problematic weapon i have ever encountered. Having said that, i do love it, as it packs a great punch for its size but it does have some issues to overcome in the quality department.

My R9 has been flawless from the box... its gone bang every single time i have pulled the trigger.  At this time i have around 100 total rounds through it.  

Its very simple, it only likes certain ammo... once you find that you are golden... Like Mr R says, shoot it a little and carry a lot...its certainly not a range gun.  I love my Glocks too...and those are the real battle weapons, but they cannot be compared to the R9, its like saying you dont like your BMW sportster cause you cant carry around a load of Firewood in it...

Every couple of weeks i rock a couple mags and the one in the pipe, just to be cerain it fires, and it always does...

As for take down, its not hard at all, i have Sigs that are more of a pain than this...how hard is it to pop out a little pin ?  

I of course think to each his own, and can understand why you would feel the way you do... but this is the R9 site, and as you can expect, we love our little pups here...

I encourage you to try it again, if you have any Ammo questions, there are tons of experts here that can help you get it rolling...

If not, i tried... all the best

Offline Evan

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
Musicman,

I have the R9S and love it, but I cannot knock Kahr, I have a PM9, it is also an excellent gun, they are both great, although I have never had my Kahr refuse ANY ammo. And the Kahr is very accurate. Again I rate them both very high, with a plus on the Rohrbaugh only because it is not poly.

Offline Stonebender

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »
Any of you guys "tired" of your R9's "acting up",  let me know...   I'll be GLAD to take them off your hands.  ::)
Oh, yeah...  Uh, I was going to do that but...  I just carried on with my life...

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
robfxlr, though I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the Rohrbaugh and am glad the Kahr makes you happy, but the Kahr 380s are not without problems. Here is a post from a P380 owner
Here are excerpts from a letter I sent to Kahr:

Enclosed herewith please find my Model P380... snip  yada yada yada...  

Hey Yank, i started reading your post and thought that letter writer writes exactly like me. Then i realized i wrote it two years ago, long before I joined this forum. What site was it on? i forgot I posted it.  BTW the Kahr has been flawless for over a thousand rounds since they tweaked it at the factory.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:51:20 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
Joe,
   I couldn't tell you if there was a million dollar prize for the right answer. It was two years ago and I probably just did a search of Kahr problems.
  I have a P380 and a PM 40 and have had no problems with either and like them very much but neither will replace my R9.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »
"I could cut and paste blogs from dissatisfied R9 buyers"

That is  true of every make and model of gun, including Glocks and Colts and Kahrs and all the rest.

My R9 has been fine for over 4 years. I carry it everyday and I bought the little sucker used.  

John

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
"I could cut and paste blogs from dissatisfied R9 buyers"

That is  true of every make and model of gun, including Glocks and Colts and Kahrs and all the rest.

My R9 has been fine for over 4 years. I carry it everyday and I bought the little sucker used.  

John

The author of the quoted line claimed in post # 12 above to be a "retired NYPD Detective."  Perhaps, then, he knew the legendary Jim Cirillo who, before his untimely death in a motor vehicle accident, lent the following endorsement to the R9:

[size=10]"Your Rohrbaugh (R9) 9mm is the greatest backup gun in the world."
Jim Cirillo,
NYPD Officer and writer, instructor [/size]

http://rohrbaughfirearms.com/testimonials
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"