Author Topic: Need your input please  (Read 22021 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: Need your input please
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Dissatisfaction is a part of the problem and yes buying it back may solve that. However that fact that Rohrbaugh allows this to happen, is not acceptable. That barrel should not have left the factory period. I have never seen any other pistol with marks like that.
  You could argue that that for close up a "pocket pistol" could be smooth bore and it would still function and work as intended.        That does not mean it is quality workmanship. For the price of this pistol the the bore should not look this way.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »
I do agree, however, this is something that has to be taken up with Rohrbaugh on an individual basis; the barrel shouldn't have left the factory that way, in my opinion, yours, and others.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
I sent pictures to Maria asking for the barrel to be replaced.  Eric looked at them and had Maria tell me that is common with their " Old World Broached Rifling Method" and if the gun functions, why would I care what it looked like.  The gun did not function and I asked to speak to Eric.  Maria asked what I paid for the pistol and when I told her she said she would buy it back.  I jumped at the offer.  Never did they admit that the barrel was defective or offer to replace it.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:01:20 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
Spare me from the "old world broached rifling method" explanation. As some one told me a long time ago if you think it is a problem it is a problem. Some here would not criticize an R9 if it blew up in their face; they would simply say: "call the factory."  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:11:48 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
All I am doing is quoting what I was told and I thought it was a stupid answer to give to a customer.  I know it pissed me off.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
Spare me from the "old world broached rifling method" explanation. As some one told me a long time ago if you think it is a problem it is a problem. Some here would not criticize an R9 if it blew up in their face; they would simply say: "call the factory."  

tracker.  Does it help to criticize the R9 individually?  Calling the factory is the only way to get help or one's own satisfaction.    :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:14:22 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »

This is more than a one-off event and should be addressed as such other than a denial. Owners have called the factory and it has been swept under the rug, apart from the buy-back which has a dismissive characteristic of its own.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
This is more than a one-off event and should be addressed as such other than a denial. Owners have called the factory and it has been swept under the rug, apart from the buy-back which has a dismissive characteristic of its own.

So because you're saying the above, is going to fix the problem?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »

No, but drinking the kool-aid doesn't either. Recognition of a problem is the first step in a solution; that hasn't occurred yet.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
No, but drinking the kool-aid doesn't either. Recognition of a problem is the first step in a solution; that hasn't occurred yet.

How do you propose to make that happen?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:42:59 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »

Call the factory.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »
Call the factory.

You've got it!    ;D

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
Call the factory.

;)

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
thnx guys.

my buddy has read your replies and we agree: although there is no functional problem here, it's very disturbing to pay over a thousand dollars for a high-end firearm just to get poor quality like this.

he will call maria this week and send her the photo.

we'll post the result here too...

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
 Eric saw the pictures when I asked for a new barrel on warranty and had Maria tell me that all their barrels looked like that and if the gun functions, it is not a problem in their opinion.  Is this a common problem or did it just occur in guns in the early 4000's?  Does anyone else have this problem?
Man!  I've got to stop visiting here.  I just read this thread and the previous one linked by Cory (partially quoted above.)

This caused me to carefully inspect my barrel and it has heavy "tool marks" on the lands it's entire length.  >:(  Now I'm really bummed out.  (I was happy as a clam with my R9s before reading this thread.  It just goes to illustrate the point I suppose, that ignorance is indeed bliss. :(

BYW mine was purchased new, 32xx serial number and has been pretty much a "safe-queen" with only a total of 50 rounds through it, a combination of Speer Gold Dot and WWB.
It's been 100% perfect with those.  Never a hiccup.  So, while I'm not happy about the crappy finishing of the rifling I suppose that I'll just live with it.  

But, I agree with Tracker and others.  This is a problem and should be corrected.  There's obviously a problem with their rifling process.  I've never seen this on any other barrel.  They should be smooth, polished and shiny.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum