Author Topic: What's your R9's round count?  (Read 15418 times)

Offline Tim B

Re: What's your R9's round count?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
I have exactly 213 rounds through my Stealth. I fired the first 200 within a month of receiving the pistol, just because I felt I needed to shoot it about that much to familiarize myself with it and to "bond" with it.  I also stopped at that point because it was time for a recoil spring change and I wanted to carry with a fresh spring.

A couple of months ago I took it out and fired the 7 rounds in the pistol and the other six in the spare mag I carry.  Everything worked perfectly.  Once I got home I gave my R9 a good cleaning and a fresh lube and put it back on duty.

Like John, I keep a record of rounds fired in my Rohrbaugh for the sole purpose of recoil spring management. I have plenty of other guns to shoot, but in my opinion life is way too short to be so meticulous as to keep round counts on them.

Since retiring last month I find myself carrying the Rohrbaugh more and more.  It has replaced the J-frame as the gun I carry when I really don't feel like carrying. I trust my R9 and look forward to getting another as soon as I am able to. I Never have ONE of anything... my wife says it's a sickness :-)

-Tim

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
I have exactly 213 rounds through my Stealth. I fired the first 200 within a month of receiving the pistol, just because I felt I needed to shoot it about that much to familiarize myself with it and to "bond" with it.  I also stopped at that point because it was time for a recoil spring change and I wanted to carry with a fresh spring.

A couple of months ago I took it out and fired the 7 rounds in the pistol and the other six in the spare mag I carry.  Everything worked perfectly.  Once I got home I gave my R9 a good cleaning and a fresh lube and put it back on duty.

Like John, I keep a record of rounds fired in my Rohrbaugh for the sole purpose of recoil spring management. I have plenty of other guns to shoot, but in my opinion life is way too short to be so meticulous as to keep round counts on them.

Since retiring last month I find myself carrying the Rohrbaugh more and more.  It has replaced the J-frame as the gun I carry when I really don't feel like carrying. I trust my R9 and look forward to getting another as soon as I am able to. I Never have ONE of anything... my wife says it's a sickness :-)

-Tim

Thanks for the good report, Tim. And as for that so-called "sickness" of never having just ONE of anything, there's nothing wrong with it at all -- as long as it doesn't include wifes.   ;)

_____

Edit: The whole subject made me so edgy that I misspelled the operative word -- so . . . strike the word "wifes" and substitute in lieu thereof the word "wives."  ::)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:44:40 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Tim B

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »

Thanks for the good report, Tim. And as for that so-called "sickness" of never having just ONE of anything, there's nothing wrong with it at all -- as long as it doesn't include wifes.   ;)

Richard,

I was going to say something witty about my wife and my ex-wife both agreeing with you on that, but I decided against it :-)

-Tim

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
Great report Tim.  Thanks.  Having two or more Rohrbaughs is a good thing.  My wife doesn't understand that either!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »

Richard,

I was going to say something witty about my wife and my ex-wife both agreeing with you on that, but I decided against it :-)

-Tim

Tim:

In such matters, discretion is inevitably the better part of valor.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
85 rounds without a single problem in my Robar edition. This was on one cleaning on two different range dates. Today is cleaning day with David's new take down tool.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »
Tim welcome to the group and post often.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
I have 2 customers that told me they fired over 5000 rds thru their R9s. This was some time ago. Neither reported any problems.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Today is day three since I brough my little Pup home, 170 rounds so far, two cleanings and inspections and still shooting on the first recoil spring with no failures.

I've noted significant wear at the rear of the frame, which completely removed the finish at the rear end of the guide rails, but other's reported this to be self-limiting and I would suspect this is the case.  The R9 is a tight little design and some break-in wear is to be expected.

I have nothing remarkable to report, the R9 performs like any other pistol, no bad habits, no difficulties, just press the trigger and she barks on command.  I honestly expected some teething issues, as a design this small was bound to have some compromises.  That assumption seems to be proved wrong.

So, now I've had two days at the range and several boxes of ammo to adjust my "love at first bang" opinion.  Here's the adjustment:  The PM9, LCP and P3AT are in the safe, the Pup is in my pocket, and that's the way it's gonna be.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
Great results, Relic.  The wear you noticed is normal, and should not be worrisome.  This will subside and as you have stated others have reported.  Continue to enjoy the great small wonder.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »
240 rounds on the original recoil spring.  The spring is 3/16" shorter thaqn a new spring, but still feels as stiff as the new one.

No failures, no issues.

Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
I'm thinking if you keep shooting with the old spring, it's going to beat itself up and finally do some damage; just my thoughts.    :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:44 AM »
Length and stiffness do not always correlate into the same thing.
You would be surprised how much your spring "shrinks" just after 50 rounds or so.

With Relic's experience, I thinks he will actually feel the gun getting pounded as the spring gives way. Not that I would reccomend going that far.  Nor would I reccomend pocketing the piece as is at 240 rounds for EDC.  But for goofing around, curiousity, testing - WTH.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
I do agree.  With the small price of these springs, I sure wouldn't risk damage.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:15 AM »
Understood.

Especially considering we are talking about an aluminum frame gun here.

But out of curiostity- is it ThaT hard on the gun; to keep the sping in it until  consistant malfunctions present themselves ?

Might not be a bad one time test, just to get to know the gun a little bit more in depth.

Getting knocked out in a boxing ring by a pro once may be rough.  But you sure wouldn't want to do it repeatedly.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE