Author Topic: Former Rohraugh owner/ new Kahr P380 owner!!!  (Read 12505 times)

Offline robfxlr

Former Rohraugh owner/ new Kahr P380 owner!!!
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:03 AM »
 ;D
I bought a Rohrbaugh R9 in April in Delray Beach, Fl. Immediately after using my Amex fror the "mortgage like" payment, I went into the range in the gun shop and immediately realized the temperamental Rohrbaugh is not meant to fire practrice ammo as I had all sorts of FTFs and double strikes. This was corrected when I used the recommended ammo and I was able to put 25 rounds thru it with no issues.
Once I got home I realized that the Rohrbaugh is not so easy to disassemble and re assemble and actually requires some dexterity.
After my initial disappointment, I always felt that this was not a gun I would "stake my life on" I am a retired NYPD Detective  of 20 years, half of that time was with a wheel gun and half with a Glock 9mm. I would NEVER put the Rohrbaugh in either of these leagues in reliability and for my personal opinions, could never carry this gun as a primary carry/life saver.
With that said, I sold the Rohrbaugh to a local dealer, lost a bit, but not bad, and was able to get my hands on a Kahr P380 and still get some $$$ back from my trade. I previouslly owned a Ruger LCP which I loved but sold for the Rohrbaugh (big mistake). Anyway, it is a happy ending, if I hadn't traded my Ruger LCP for the Rohrbaugh, I never would have wound up with the Kahr. It is an amazing gun, put 75 rounds thru it out of the box, with cheap target ammo and expensive ammo - the gun performed flawless! It is amazing, it not only has a slide lock, but the slide locks when empty. The little gun does not operate like a mouse gun- blowback, it works like the bigger semi autos, and ejects rounds with an extractor- sorry-not a gun expert here.
Anyway, from what they say, a Kahr is not "broken in" until about 400 rounds- I am confident enough to carry it now, after 75 rounds and a good cleaning. I cannot say enough good about the Kahr, flawless precision, impeccable quality- actually like a shrunken biugger semi auto instead of a tiny compact pistol. There is no difference and no sacrifices. The sights are "real" and I can shoot it as accurately as a large frame gun. Design characteristics are such that recoil is much less than a Kel tec or Ruger .380 and the gun is so light that I never carry the North American Arms 22 mag I also own-this gun is as light and small.
Although I am sorry to be a "former" Rohrbaugh owner, I cannot stress enough the comfort I now feel that I have a "real" dependable pocket pistol.
I highly recommend the Kahr, although aboput twice the price of a Ruger LCP.
I know it will not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I am one of a few here that probably owned a Ruger LCP, Rohrbaugh R9 and a Kahr P380- in my mind, there is no doubt I made the right decision. I am thoroughly convinced I could put 1,000 rounds thru the Kahr in one range session, without incident- no grip screws to tighten, no spring to replace-sheer nonsense for a supposed high end, designer gun.........
"I'm a cunning linguist and a master debater!"..............Austin Powers

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
Re: Former Rohrbaugh owner/ new Kahr P380 owner!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »
Good report, it always come down to personal opinion and experience and I can't deny  what you are saying.  From my side I can agree with some of what you say and disagree on a number of points.  Thanks for your perspective.  Popular doesn't matter but  accurate does.....Please report back when you have shot 1000 rounds in a single session.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »
I wish I would've known about robfxlr's dislike for the R9 and love for the LCP......I would've gladly made the trade.  Anyone else hate their R9 and think the LCP is a better gun please PM me for a trade, I'll throw in .380 ammo, crimson trace, and other accessories for you're POS R9  ;P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:12:57 AM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline robfxlr

Re: Former Rohraugh owner/ new Kahr P380 owner!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 07:39:51 PM »

i gladly would have made that trade- throw in  $600 and it would have been a deal, knucklehead!!!

I traded in the LCP for the Rohrbaugh (plus cash-obviously) and realized I had just purchased a designed gun not meant to be carried.
It is nice to dream, but I would not have traded for your LCP straight up, I am a day trader and doing well at it, it is nice to dream though Einstein!!!
The Kahr P380 is a much, much better more reliable carry gun- did I say MUCH! Also, getting the extremely difficult to obtain KAHR and 50 rounds of target and 50 rounds of carry ammo plus $500 really made the deal a no brainer.
I am happy to add it to my collection:

S & W 340 PD-357, NAA PUG 22 mag, Glock 27, Glock 30 45 cal, glock 33 357,Kahr P380, Taurus "The Judge"-3 "

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:37:59 AM »
I just got done reading your 12 posts and I would definitely agree with your 5th post where you say...
"I am not a shooter, more of a collector though"
seems like you need to get a better handle on things and get out and shoot more and purchase guns that you're a little more knowledgeable about if your going to be a collector type.  Good luck with your Kahr and hope you don't have to throw in the towel on that one in three months and do an about face.  When I bought my R9 I did a ton of reading here and all over the net.  Reviewed good and bad points, examined the gun throughly over time and several models, and then made the knowledgeable decision that this was a great gun to carry.  I've got no regrets and not a single failure with my ammo of choice.  You seem to have a lot of regret about guns you've bought and sold.  I have yet to be disapointed in a single gun I have ever bought including my LCP......but it is not even close to the class of the R9.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:41:22 AM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:53:04 AM »
No regrets abouyt selling R9 or LCP, if I didn't sell the LCP I would never have wound up with the Kaqhr P380.
I do have regrets about selling a 2001 Jessie James Soft tail though but after 30 years and 150,000 miles of accident free riding I felt my luck may eventually run out. That, and good investments made me venture into the four wheel market - I bought a 69 Chevelle convertible and a 2009 Porsche Carrera coupe which fill the slot nicely.
I am not re3ally a collector, I have carried a gun every day for 30 years, in the mean streets of NY and the palm tree lined streets of south Florida- I personally did not want a designer gun or a safe queen, I buy guns for purposes-specifically self defense. Nothing against R9, I do like the way the small Kahr P-380 locks the slide open when empty, just like its big brothers. I carried a Kahr 9mm for my last 5 years as a NYPD Detective and have never had an issue, the smaller P380 is exactly like the bigger Kahrs which I like.
I lovede the way my Rohrbaugh LOOKED, especially with the wood grips I put on it, just not the kind of gun I want, all my guns are specifically for carry and self defense, not stored under a counter in a store or in a safe. Just personal preferences, no matter how you slice it. Best of luck.

NAA Pug .22 mag, Glock 27, Glock 30 Glock 33, Taurus "The Judge", Kahr P380

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:59:52 AM »
I stand correct5ed, I really dont consider myself a pure "collector" I dont shoot more than every couple of months at a range, but have carried a gun every day for 30 years, thru my 20s, 30s and 40s-I do believe that puts me in a different league than the average "collector." My handguns are for self defense. I learned the hard way, that I am not a big advocate of ankle holsters, but luckily am around to correct that mistake (mid 80s). I honestly feel comfortable carrying any gun I now own and stake my life on it. Obviously the NAA PUG, 22 mag is more of a backup or a carry when you abgsolutely cannot carry another gun, or as a backup, that is probably the only gun in my collection that, although thoroughly reliable, being a smaller caliber and especially single action, is more of a novelty- I sometimes carry it on a necklace holster inside a shirt.
No offense meant, one's gotta speak their own view dont ya think?
One recommendation, buy "C" Citigroup, stock is going up. I bought in at $4.03

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:02:50 AM »
You did have a sweet looking gun.  I totally agree that it would be great to have a slide lock and that it would lock open on the last round, nice job on the kahr.  The other issue of the magazine release is a regret as well BUT for me these were not deal killers and I really enjoy the overall carry of the R9.  How are you carrying the Kahr, pocket, iwb or owb?
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
"No offense meant, one's gotta speak their own view don't ya think?"

Absolutely!  this helps others make better decisions down the road when they hear others on both sides of the fence stating their opinion.  I just hate it though when there is ranker.  You've presented it well and targeted the areas that every future owner of the R9 should know going in so to be prepared an take advantage of the positives on this gun.  Again good luck and good shooting.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
I carry the Kahr, strictly pocket, when  going for waistband carry, I would certainly opt for either my Glock 30 or 33.

I forgot to mention my S & W 340 PD .357 previously. That is a monster liteweight gun that I carry either in pocket, ankle or bellyband.

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
 I mostly carry the R9 in the pocket as well but occasionally I will carry owb for a little change.  very rarely I will put it in my sport coat pocket as a cross draw, again just for a little change.  I like the pocket the most because in situations or locations where I feel it is high risk environment I put my hand on the gun ready to pull instantly........I like that a lot.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »
* * * I am a retired NYPD Detective  of 20 years, half of that time was with a wheel gun and half with a Glock 9mm. * * *
_____

* * * I have carried a gun every day for 30 years, in the mean streets of NY and the palm tree lined streets of south Florida- I personally did not want a designer gun or a safe queen, I buy guns for purposes-specifically self defense. * * *

robfxlr:

First, I thank you for your prior service in law enforcement.

Second, although I neither understand the reason behind nor agree with the thesis underlying your decision to launch a two-thread crusade against the Rohrbaugh R-9 on this Forum, I certainly do not dispute your right to express your opinions.

Third, in one of your posts above, you referred to another member of this Forum as a "knucklehead". Without intending in any way to preempt the authority of the Administrator, I respectfully suggest that such ad hominem abusives are out of place in this venue.

Fourth, since you served as a NYPD detective for 20 years, you may have worked with and certainly must have known of the legendary NYPD officer, writer, and instructor, Jim Cirillo, who was tragically killed in a traffic accident on July 12, 2007. Mr. Cirillo, author of the excellent book from Paladin Press, Guns, Bullets and Gunfights, had this endorsement for the pistol which you seem so intent here on disparaging:

“Your Rohrbaugh (R9) 9mm is the greatest backup gun in the world.”

Similar public endorsements have been provided by other distinguished members of the law enforcement and firearms training, manufacturing, and publishing communities:

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/testimonials/testimonials_set.html

Fifth, given your obvious admiration for Kahr and Glock pistols, you will probably have noted that there is gathering place specifically created and maintained for people of such persuasion:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Again, thank you for your long years of service in law enforcement, and stay safe there on "the palm tree lined streets of south Florida."  

_________

[size=10]Note: Because this discussion was launched on two separate threads, I am posting a link to this post on the other thread. [/size]
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
Yes, lets not lose sight of the fact that this is a gathering place for Rohrbaugh enthusiasts.  While we are welcoming of questions and comments and sharing our knowledge, at some point one has to wonder...

Would you walk into a Jets bar and start crowing about how much better the Miami Dolphins are?

Better yet, would you come into my living room and start complaining about my neighborhood or my furnishings?

Glad you are happy with your Kahr .380.  I like mine too.

Thanks.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »
There must be some other issue here than the perceived shortcomings of an R9. Surely, this is not the only problem that would generate such vehement and copious comments, especially after having sold it.