Author Topic: new owner, first range test  (Read 3826 times)

Offline rohrbo man

new owner, first range test
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »
Decided I wanted an R9 for my first pocket carry after doing much research. Was lucky to find a local dealer who has sold many, and had one in stock. It's almost Xmas, and I deserve it, but if my wife finds out what it cost, I may not see another Xmas.
Went to the range yesterday, shot 70 rounds of Federal Classic. I definately agree I need some grips with a grip! I will be ordering the Hogue's for sure.
By the end of the practice I felt comfortable with it and really like it alot.....but, after the first 3 magazines which worked fine, it would not let me rack the first round of a full magazine. The round would not go up into the chamber. I have not seen anyone else discuss this problem in what I've read on this forum so far (which is great by the way), anyone have any insight?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: new owner, first range test
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Welcome aboard, rohrbo man, and thanks for the first post with a range report. There can be one of several things that contributed to your problem:
             1. Lubrication
             2. Heat--wait to cool between magazines
             3. Use a sling-shot slide release, i.e., be aggressive.

I suspect that with more range time this problem will disappear and you will have flawless performance.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:35:32 PM by tracker »

Offline rohrbo man

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »
Thanks, did lube it before I used it. When I cleaned it after the first use, there was noticable metal shavings but no wear & tear on anything like I had read on some other postings. I just wondered whether or not it had anything to do with the particular ammo I used. Will try something else next time and post the results.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »
rohrbo man.  Welcome to the Forum from me as well.  Sounds like #2 of what tracker said.  Let it cool down between magazines and try it again.  Enjoy the R9.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
welcome, go easy and slow at the range and pay attention to what is happening while you are shooting. it'll work out.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
rohrbo man:

And a welcome from me as well.

I endorse Tracker's diagnosis. (I am assuming that the magazine which caused the problem had previously performed as expected.)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »
Did you eliminate the problem ...?

Offline rohrbo man

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »
Yes! Shot about 40 rounds yesterday using Gold Dots. Not one problem. Loaded everytime I racked a round with a full clip. Internals still look like new after cleaning.
Put thte Hogue grips on it also, which helped alot. thanks

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »
Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln