Author Topic: Feed Problems  (Read 6814 times)

Offline steel714

Feed Problems
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:20:27 PM »
Well I put 2 magazines of Gold Point and 2 magazines of Federal Premium through my R9S today. No failure to fire or failure to eject. NOW I am having a problem with the first round I try racking into the gun. It gets hung up on the bottom of the ramp. Only on the first round. No problem after that, but every time the first round in the mag gets hung up on the ramp. Any suggestions short of sending it back to Rohrbaugh? I am very disaqpointed with the performance of this gun after spending so much money on it. ???
Why is it called "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot at them?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Feed Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
Here are my thoughts.  You've tried Fiocchi 115 gr FMJ, 14 rds and got 1 ftf and 1 fte.

1.  Not the recommended ammo.
2.  Did you let the R9 cool down between magazines.  However, you stated you you got the failure to rack the first round every time, even with the first mag.  Which leads me to #3.
3.  Have you cleaned the R9 since firing the Fiocchi.

You've also tried Remington UMC 115 gr. MC, and got ftf and fte, and in your words, terrible.

1.  Fiocchi and UMC are not recommended ammo.
2.  Same as #2 above.
3.  Have you cleaned the R9 since firing the UMC.

You may have done all the above.  If not, take down the R9  and clean it, using BALLISTOL LUBE, or another.  Richard here on the Forum has recommended this, and now I use it.  Great stuff.

You may have dreck, powder, and other foreign matter preventing the R9 to work like it should.  Hence, the importance using excellent ammo.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline steel714

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Yes I agree. I clean my guns as soon as I get home from the range. I am very meticulous about cleaning my guns. It seems to like the gold point and the federal ammo ok.. It makes no difference whether I am using the hollow point or the ball ammo, that first round gets hung up on the bottom of the ramp everytime.  I just cant believe all the problems I am having with this gun. I love the gun, but I don't feel comfortable depending on it if I have to use it. You would think that with the kind of money I put into this gun that it would work and not leave me wondering if it was going to fire or not when the time comes.  >:(

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
This will probably work out with use even though it is very frustrating. I would make certain that the last round is firmly seated in the magazine and lightly buff the feed ramp with "Maas" or some very benign compound. Are you giving the slide a hard, positive sling-shot rack?

Offline steel714

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
yes I do give it a good hard snap when I rack it. I sent away for some snap caps so I can get a better idea of what is going on without using live ammo at the range. I can sit down at home and take my time and analize the whole thing. :-X

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Have you tried a different magazine?

Offline steel714

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
I have tried both magazines that came with the gun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:52:35 PM by steel714 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:58:25 PM »

If this persists please call the factory as this is probably not the first rodeo on this issue.

Offline steel714

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
Thanks, Dr. Phil....  :D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
I have tried both magazines that came with the gun.

Looks like you're doing all the right things.  There is just a little glitch somewhere.  Continue to use the ammo that works best in your R9 and with some more break in time may solve the problem.  Wishing you the best.  Keep us posted.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
I sent away for some snap caps so I can get a better idea of what is going on without using live ammo at the range. I can sit down at home and take my time and analize the whole thing. :-X

Good idea.  I have used the snap caps just to get used to the gun.  Works.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »

Snap caps are great for dry firing but they may not address your specific feed problem.

Offline steel714

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »
Right! but I may be able to get a better idea of what may be happening. And I would feel a lot better than doing it with live ammo in my house. I was planning on getting the snap caps anyway, so I will give it a try
Thanks 8)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
tracker.  The snap caps can be used to rack the slide and see if they hang up on the first round.  And you're right, they will not tell what the problem is, but as steel stated, he can better analize, without using live ammo.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:20:50 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »

Happy New Year, gentlemen; this forum is a a great sounding board where we all try to help each other with suggestions, ideas, and helpful hints. I always look forward to our communications.