Author Topic: New user impressions  (Read 6127 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
New user impressions
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
Apologies for any technical/social faux-paus (new poster/person). Went to 'Church' (the gun range) with my sister and brother-in-law, to pickup and shoot their new  SIGSAUER P250 compact in 9mm (I likewise own a P250  9mm compact and a full-size P226 9mm), and brought along the new R9s for a first-time shooting.
The SIGs were as expected: first-rate, highly-accurate, just-as-advertised well designed firearms (I'm predjudiced since I lived in Switzerland for a coupla years, and yes I know they're all owned by Germans now. Walther's not a bad mark, either, btw).
In any case, the R9s Ser #4039: Just, such a joy. It's a joy to look at, it's a joy to hold and feel, it's a joy to anyone who appreciates a combination of human intelligence and CNC milling and engineering (thanks, AutoCAD). This would not be possible nor meaningful without the guidance of the designers. Like those who 'built' the space shuttles, and the lunar and mars landers, these are high-water-marks in human engineering, which necessarily means, the recognition of these achievements are limted.
So, back down to earth: shot 3 magazines (18 rounds) of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. though the firearm. No problems of any nature at all encountered, although the impression possibly colored by my sheer exhiliration of firing this piece of art. I am not qualilfied to give anything but feelings and limited performance data (I'm a liberal-arts/philosopy graduate OK?) but here's the deal: recoil is "snappy/robust/wakes your ass up/not be be ignored/yada yada). Significant muzzle flip requiring conscious bring-the-muzzle-down-and reacquire-the-target action on the part of the shooter. I am officially an old-person (60 yrs), and don't have great upper arm/body strenth, and in addition have an old unhealed injury to right-hand; this results in making one-hand firing of pistol a bit tiring.  Ow. The rear/front sights are INHO not that great or visible (I also need reading glasses) but have bought some Bright-Sights paints to make my own dots, as it were. So, despite being an educated but true amateur: multiple shots with that little tiny std. orange bullseye from 25 feet.
I and my nakl account are feeling contented, happy and fulfilled. Now I am off to break down, inspect and clean this work of techincal art. I will pass along any information -- although it's likely just to be humorous -- resulting from this latest.
All the best to you all, now and in this Season; with the one wish: "Peace".

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
Re: New user impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:48:50 PM »
omg, where did 'nakl account' come from? duh. The real phrase was "bank account".
Ok, so who said we all could spell, read and type at the same time? Sheesh...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »

A very kind and gracious welcome to you. Thank you for one of the most descriptive, sensitive, and intuitive first impression range reports I have had the pleasure of reading.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
whkrog.  Enjoyed reading your report.  Thanks for your insights.  It's really good to use recommended ammo, and your results show the facts.  Thanks again.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »
I for one did enjoy your range report. Keep trucking on with the pup and it will get easier as you gain more experience with the pistol. take your time cleaning the gun and you will enjoy that learning experience also.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
omg, where did 'nakl account' come from? duh. The real phrase was "bank account".
Ok, so who said we all could spell, read and type at the same time? Sheesh...

I have that same trouble!   ;D    ;D

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
YAARR (Yet Another Amateur Range Report): 1/3/2010.
100+ rounds of WWB 9mm through The Two SIGS (P226 and P250) - very fine pistols, whose accuracy seems only to be liimted by the skill of the user pulling the trigger.
3 mags/18 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. through the R9s: no problems of any kind, and considering the design parameters for the pistol's purpose and use, pretty damn accurate too. I find that when shooting this guy one-handed, though, the recoil bruises my hand between the thumb and first finger, a ways up the fleshy part. It's not uncomfortable and not noticed until later, and the recoil doesn't make me flinch or otherwise act adversely: it's just something to recognize and not to be surprised by. Also may be due to improper grip or just plain inexperience with the weapon: I'll seek some personal and professional help with this from the instructors (although none of them have ever fired a Rohrbaugh - heh). Same impression as before, although this is 'preaching to the choir': this is one FINE piece of design and engineering, and you don't really need to even shoot it to tell -- just hold it, examine it and feel it. If you can't tell the immediate difference between this pistol and a S&W .380 or a Kahr or whatever, then you likely will find the enthusiam of others pretty mysterious. Same way, if you're 'into' audio recording -- and you've never used a NAGRA -- then officially don't 'get it'.  :)
PS: the sights on the R9s are hard for me to see and use: I am just trying the BrightSights paint on them as the first step to help. Then, on to ScotchBrite reflective adhesive tape (and an Exacto knife) if that doesn't work out. Then maybe having the sights milled to create a place for more permanent painting.
So, summary: my hand hurts a little, my bank account also hurts, a couple of paper targets have lots of nice, closely-paced holes in them, and I basically couldn't be happier.
PPS: although the factory doesn't mention it, can I use my Raufoss-type 9mm incendiary tracer rounds in the R9? JUST KIDDING! Jeez...   :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Again, a great summary.  Glad your experience was good, except for the sore hand.  It'll get better, I'm sure.

Offline CarolinaDuke

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
I found the same pain problem with extended shooting with the R9.  Went to Dick's Sporting Goods and picked up a set of good quality fingerless weight lifting gloves.  Tended to help with the recoil pain when practicing.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »
Welcome aboard.

And welcome to the fraternity.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:28 PM »
The basic design purpose was as a defensive tool. Draw, point to center of body mass and shoot. If and when you ever use it to save your life, the sights wouldn't even be noticed. But I'm sure that you know that and just want to pretty up the pup. ;) :D   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
Yes, indeed, Tom, and thanks. It's really only for the occasional range shooting -- when it makes me more confortable with my presbyopia (old farts not being able to focus eyes as well as they used to) and easier to line up the sights on targets, really just for 'sighting in.'
As you may have gathered, I very much like this pistol: it'll like be my only carry gun. Except in the rare cases I feel two guns would be better than one: then it would be the SIG P250 compact and the R9s.
Best of 2010 to all of you and your families.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
whkrog:

Welcome to the Forum and thanK you for the illuminating range report. (A man of your eloquence needs to be encouraged to post more often.   8) )
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:45:10 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"