Author Topic: An Hour at the Range With My New R9s  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Writer_Ron

An Hour at the Range With My New R9s
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
When my new R9s arrived, I disassembled it (easy), applied a few dabs of oil, and reassembled it (PITA; but now I've climbed the learning curve). FWIW, German-made Knipex self-locking slip-lock pliers do a better job than Channel-Locks of gripping the recoil spring assembly.

I brought four different kinds of 9mm ammo with me to the range:

Winchester WWB
Fiocchi 115 JHP
Blazer Brass 115
Federal Hydra-Shok 147

I fired 14 rounds of each -- 7 from each of the two magazines that came with the R9s.

I'm delighted to report NO FTFs or FTE, no stovepipes, and no keyholes in the targets. I was equally pleased that recoil was "snappy" rather than painful. The R9s is actually more controllable than my Seecamp LWS32, but you guys probably knew that!

The Fiocchi's definitely felt hotter than the other cartridges. Surprisingly, the most comfortable to shoot were the Federals.

I've ordered some "premium" 124 grain rounds, but for now, the big Hydra-Shoks are my favorites. (I buy into the notion that heavier bullets lose less velocity when fired from a short barrel -- although I know that many people hate 147s in 9mm.)

Incidentally, where can I find the list of "Rohrbaugh-recommended" rounds? Has anyone put together an authoritative shortlist? If so, what's the link.

Incidentally, incidentally -- I joined the forum the other day (in anticipation of receiving the R9s). I've enjoyed reading the forum posts. To complete the introduction, I live in North Carolina.

Ron

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: An Hour at the Range With My New R9s
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »

Welcome aboard, Ron, and congratulations on your successful trip to the range with your R9. A very short list of generally recommended premium ammo is Winchester Silvertips 115 gr. and Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. or 124 gr.. Silvertips have been almost impossible to find in .9mm but Gold Dots have been available lately.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
Good report!

Cabela's has 115g gold dots for 15.99 and 147g for 19.99. 115g gold dots seem to be the most popular and/or reliable.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:31:10 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »

Additionally, WWB is generally accepted here on the forum as good range ammo. There are many others but just stick with what works for you.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
Incidentally, incidentally -- I joined the forum the other day (in anticipation of receiving the R9s). I've enjoyed reading the forum posts. To complete the introduction, I live in North Carolina.

Ron

Ron.  Welcome to the Forum and a great range report.  There may still be some Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips on GunsAmerica, old stock, for $29.95 a box.  Here's a link in case you're interested.

Hey!  I'm in North Carolina as well.  Again, welcome, and post often.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977002065/Non-Guns/Ammunition/Winchester_9MM_115Gr_Silvertips_50_Rd_Boxes.htm
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
Ron, welcome to the forum. Good range report and it sounds like you had a good time. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Writer_Ron

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

I did have a good time -- even though my initial groups were rather "spread out."

One thing that did surprise me was the R9s' long (but smooth) trigger pull. My pistol doesn't fire until the trigger is full back (or maybe a fraction of an inch from full back) and it must move almost fully forward to reset. On two occasions, I didn't let the trigger return sufficiently before trying to pull it again.

Ron

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
Ron.  Pull the trigger like you mean it, very crisp.  You'll get use to it.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Writer_Ron

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Ron.  Pull the trigger like you mean it, very crisp.  You'll get use to it.  

Interesting! I see what you mean -- at least when dry firing. Of course, this approach goes against the grain, because I'm a slow-pressure-on-the-trigger person. I suspect the "crisp" technique will send lots of bullets to the left -- and least when I fire the gun.

Ron

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »
Not really.  You shouldn't jerk the gun or pull it to the left when pulling the trigger.  You're pulling back, crisply, with your finger.  Notice, pulling back and releasing.  That's just how this gun is meant to be fired.  There are some other posts here on the Forum that address this issue as well.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Ron:

Welcome to the campfire, and thank you for the fine report!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"