Author Topic: Ammunition failure to ignite  (Read 4353 times)

Offline kawasaki1

Ammunition failure to ignite
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
    I have tested several brands of 9mm in my R9S.  While testing Hornady's  "Critical Defense" cartridges I was pleased with its accuracy.  However, with tese cartridges - only - I have experienced one out of every 5 to 6 cartridges failing to go off.  About half of the time, the cartridges will go off with a second pull of the trigger.  While checking those that fail to fire, I found light strikes on the primers.  Does anyone know if Hornady's primers are slightly too hard, leading to the occassional failures?  (Or is my pistol defective).  These bullets expand reliably through heavy or light mediums, but the failures to ignite would throw them out the window for reliable defense purposes.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Ammunition failure to ignite
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
kawasaki1.  Welcome to the Forum.  There's been alot of talk about Hornady ammo here on the Forum.  Here's a link to the thread.  It's long.  Again, welcome.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1254080760;start=
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »

Kawasaki1,

The bottom line is: don't use Critical Defense in the R9. The primers can be hard and result in too many FTFs. It is not worth the risk to have even one FTF.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
   I have tested several brands of 9mm in my R9S.  While testing Hornady's  "Critical Defense" cartridges I was pleased with its accuracy.  However, with tese cartridges - only - I have experienced one out of every 5 to 6 cartridges failing to go off.  About half of the time, the cartridges will go off with a second pull of the trigger.  While checking those that fail to fire, I found light strikes on the primers.  Does anyone know if Hornady's primers are slightly too hard, leading to the occassional failures?  (Or is my pistol defective).  These bullets expand reliably through heavy or light mediums, but the failures to ignite would throw them out the window for reliable defense purposes.  

Kawasaki1.  It would be interesting to know the lot no. of the Critical Defense that is giving you problems.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kawasaki1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
     Just for interest, the Hornady "Critical Defense" 9mm which often fails to go off on a single trigger pull, is lot #3091299.  (Some have expressed interest in this information).

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »
I delved into many of these different lot nos. and thought I could visually discern the difference between good and bad primers; that was a mistake. Forget the Critical Defense in the R9.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:08:00 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
This discussion prompts me to repeat something which every member of the Forum will know but which should nonetheless be always borne in mind. Whenever a failure to fire is experienced at the range, it is important to keep the muzzle of the gun pointed safely down range for several seconds just in case a "hangfire" is in progress -- a delay between the moment the firing pin strikes the primer and the ignition of the powder in the cartridge. Although "hangfires" may be rare, usually being caused by old or contaminated primer/propellant, if not handled correctly one can result in real tragedy.

Thus endeth the lesson for the day.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »
Richard.  That lesson can't be mentioned too often.  Good to be reminded.  Thanks.