Author Topic: Another Range Report  (Read 3304 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
Another Range Report
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
I apologize in advance, and don't wish to violate any protocols of which I'm not aware. This is a new 'Range Report' so I add this as a new topic. If I should have added this at the end of previous reports, I apologize again, and please just inform me.
Anyway: trip to the range to 'sight in' the LaserMax sight on my Sig P250 (sweet), and to run two more mags thru the Pup. OK, please excuse me from looking thru all the previous posts, and explain why this superlative pistol is referred to as "the/a pup", as if it is a child of... what? A Seecamp?
Using exclusively 115gr Speer Gold Dots which the R9s seems to like just fine, absolutely no problems again.
FIRM grip (repear FIRM!) seems to help with all aspects of recoil and muzzle flip. I painted some BrightSights green/orange on the rear/front sights of the R9s which makes it easier to acquire the sight picture visually. If they wear off, I can just repaint them, big deal.
When seated, using a couple of sandbags, this pistol shot leetle tiny groups at 25 feet. (Like, who or what would you shoot at, with this pistol at greater distances?)
I also broke down/cleaned this one for the first time, and found it rather difficult. I'm not the strongest or most dextrous of people. However, I found that if you look at the photos on the Rohrbaugh website, the position of holding the pistol while disassembling/reassembling makes all the difference!.
In the computer world, the acronym for this, is "RTFM". Feel free to contact me directly for an explanation if really desired.  :)
Not technical or subjective details follow:
I really love this pistol. The heft, the feel, the evident workmanship, all of it. I carry it every day (with the Speer Gold Dots) in a pocket holster, and I've never felt better.
Here is a question for the real, experienced users however:
I carry the R9s without a round chambered, which means I'd have to work the slide to chamber a round prior to the pistol being able to be used.
What are the upsides/downsides of this behavior, and is it safe (enough, relatively) to carry a round-chambered R9s in this situation. We all fervently wish we will never, ever have to use this weapon for the express purpose for which it was designed, but if called upon to do so, the additional action of chambering a round with the possibility of failure (likely by the user) might make a life-saving difference.
Thanks for your help and information.
As always, peace and happiness to you and yours.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Another Range Report
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »
Welcome and thanks for your report. You're on the right track except for the empty chamber; there are all kinds of things that can go wrong in a self defense situation and you really need one in the pipe to eliminate the variable of not chambering the round under great stress and also the time lag disadvantage of racking the slide. Others may differ but this is based on some research and a lot of discussion. Having a good pocket holster as you probably do greatly enhances the safety of carrying one in the chamber.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:17:36 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
whkrog.  Thanks for your very good report.  No apologies necessary.  I agree with tracker with having a round in the chamber.  That's really no different than carrying a revolver fully loaded.  With each, all you have to do is pull the trigger.  In a defense situation, time is of the essence, so to speak; and like tracker says, having a good pocket holster enhances the safety issue.

Again, thanks for your report.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
Thank you all. It's great having the opportunity of interacting with peers. There is, of course, the possible mandatory "lawyer-included-langauge" ( incliuded in the Rohrbaugh literature) concerning "any handgun being dropped is subject to firing" or some such language. So the question remains, is this a 'real' risk based on technical and factual field-testing, or a 'legal risk' based on the avoidvance of all possible claims?
All the best, and peace to you all and your families.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »
whkrog

I adopt the remarks of the gentleman from Texas.

In my opinion, carrying a pistol without a round in the chamber is only a little better than carrying a rock of comparable size.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
+1 for a round in the chamber.
NRA LIFE MEMBER