Author Topic: Sharing My Ammunition Tests  (Read 4979 times)

Offline steve_of_jackson

Sharing My Ammunition Tests
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
I have been in search of a dependable range ammunition for my R9 Stealth.  I have relied on what has been written in the forum but often could not easily find in my local market the ammunition that was discussed.  Due to availability I have tested a wide variety of ammunition and thought I would share my results.

The following is a description of my methodology:
  • Never fired more than 25 rounds in a session.
  • Kept up a slow rate of fire and made sure the gun did not get overly warm.
  • Thoroughly cleaned and lightly oil the gun after each session
  • Used a two handed grip to help prevent any limp wristing
  • Changed the recoil spring after 220 rounds
  • Kept detailed notes of each session
  • Fired only one type of ammunition at a session but mixed ammunition types across sessions

These are my results summarized by ammunition type:
  • 150 rounds Magtech FMJ => 5 FTEs (3%)  
  • 20 rounds Lellier & Belliot 115gr. FMJ => 8 FTFs (40%)
  • 75 rounds Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ => 12 FTEs (16%)
  • 50 rounds American Red Eagles 115gr FMJ => 3 FTEs (6%)
  • 20 rounds Speer Gold Dots 147gr => no problems
  • 25 rounds Speer Gold Dots 124gr => no problems
  • 25 rounds Remington Golden Sabres 124gr => no problems
My gunsmith pointed out that the FMJ copper sheathed rounds were leaving behind copper fragments and some unburnt powder.  He pointed out the scoring, clearly visible on the shell casings, as evidence of this debris and the potential to slow the ejection process.  Maybe this debris and the R9s tight tolerences are a source of the FTEs.  

The FTFs are a common problem with the Lellier and Bellioit rounds and their notoriously hard primers.

My conclusion is that these puppies like defense ammunition as I never had a problem with a single round.  

Hope this was helpful.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:41:44 PM by steve_of_jackson »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Sharing My Ammunition Tests
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
Steve.  Thanks very much for that detailed report; very informative.  It speaks how important it is to use the recommended ammo as in the Gold Dots and Golden Sabres.  Again, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:02:14 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »
Thanks for the excellant report!

It would be interesting to have those loads chronographed for comparison.
I wonder if the more reliable loads are hotter?

Also it would interesting to see if there are any differences in measuremnts in the bullets in critical areas- between the the FTF/FTE and no problems.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:02:46 AM »
Steve_of_Jackson:
Great info.  Those of us who have been R9 owners / shooters for some time have also come to the conclusion that that our pups like choice steak, not kibbles & bits.
Your gunsmith has finally provided the answer to those pesky copper fragments fouling up our guns. Practice FMJ ammo sometimes isn't really jacketed, but merely copper plated.  That thin plating just gets peeled off the round during its (rough) trip from the magazine to the chamber.  
Personally I use 115 or 124 grain GDHP for carry and WWB for practice.  I have been experimenting with Hornady Critical Defense and it seems as reliable as the GDHP ammo.  So I've begun to accumulate a supply of the CD stuff.

Steve (in MI)

Offline ChasenGreen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for that excellent range / ammo report.  I just ordered my first R9 and am begining the 3 month wait.  I've also ordered 100 Silvertips and 100 Gold Dots.  Both ammos are 115 Grain.

I've been on the sidelines for a couple years now and am finally jumping in.  I have Seecamps in all flavors and know what finicky ammo is all about.

I just want reliability.  I will do all the scheduled maintenace.  I'm looking forward to trying this gun.  If reliabilty is not there someone with more patience than I will get a great deal on a used one.

I'm enjoying the forum, a lot of good people and great info.

Green

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
Green.  You will like the R9.  This is a great place to learn about the Rohrbaugh, as you have discovered.  I like the Silvertip 115 gr. ammo, for sure.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
Steve:

Thank you for posting that detailed and informative range report. Your "pup," like mine, seems to thrive on the "gold standard" -- Gold Dots and Golden Sabers.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »
Steve, again thanks for your time and energy doing that fine ammo/range report.

Like Steve in Mi said, I stick with speer Gold Dot 124.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
  Steve, thank you for the very good and very detailed range report. Like you, I've had excellent results with Gold Dots. I have'nt tried the golden sabers, primarily because I prefer the lighter bullets and also because I just don't like Remington cartridges. Too many bad experiences. I rate Gold Dots and Silvertips about equal but I can find Gold Dots so that's what I use. It's ironic, but I live 80 miles from Lewiston, Idaho where Gold Dots are made and I usually buy them from a place in Texas. Ain't this a great country!!      Gene
birdman

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
  Steve and Green, welcome to the forum! I think it's a wonderful source of helpful information  and friendship. post often and enjoy your pups.    Gene
birdman