Author Topic: Scratch removal from R9 G10 grips  (Read 4427 times)

Offline PocketRocketLover

Scratch removal from R9 G10 grips
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:41 PM »
Hello Fellow Pocket packers , As my user name reflects . My carry method for my R9 is my front or rear pocket . While in this carry mode . I do not place anything else in said pocket with my pup . However I have noticed that one grip panel has become the victim of light and heavy scratches . From WHAT ? I don't know . I would like to know if anyone has found a way to buff out even the deep marks on G10 material ? If not , I will just go with CF grips or wood or a harder material . Thanks

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
Re: Scratch removal from R9 G10 grips
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
Do you have a picture?  Are the scratches on the smooth or textured part of the grip?  It'll be fairly easy to clean up the smooth part, with some very fine grit abrasive, followed by a buff. But G10 dust is extremely dangerous, you don't want to inhale that stuff...  If it's scratched through the textured area, I'm not sure there is a fix for that.

G10 is pretty hard, much harder than wood, although I'm not certain how it compares in hardness to carbon fiber.  Maybe other will be along to answer that.  Good luck :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:59:22 PM by xaman »

Offline PocketRocketLover

Re: Scratch removal from R9 G10 grips
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »
Hello X , Thanks for your input . All of the marks are above and just below the logo . I wish I could post photos . But in this case , photos would only show fine paper cut like lines in the grip panel . And since I am a south paw . Only the right grip panel is effected . But I now figured out what is the cause of the lines . I carry a two mag pouch in my off hand pocket and when removing that at the end of the day . I must be swiping the mag floor plate against the exposed G 10 as I lay them to rest for the night . I had "thunk" G 10 was more durable then what I now see is the case !
Thanks for the heads up on the toxic nature of G 10 . I am aware of other resin dangers . But never took the time to look into the makeup of G 10 material . I would think that you have to be correct on both the compound and buff as well as the toxic issues . Now I guess I will wait to hear back from the other crew members as to what creams or abrasives to use . Thanks again to all .