Author Topic: Meco Elephant R9, WOW!  (Read 14269 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Meco Elephant R9, WOW!
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 12:09:15 AM »
I think it was about four weeks, and I believe that is there current turn around time.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:19 AM »
Thank you.
It may be just the thing to do.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
In the interest of "putting my money where my mouth is,"and to show support for Robert and the other holster makers whose excellent work is pictured above, I'm posting this photograph of my R9 with its black CFs in my own elephant-hide holster.

The man whose name appears in the maker's mark on the back of this holster has passed away, but he was a legendary artist in gunleather. I'll withhold his name to prevent any harassment of his heirs by some self-appointed "Holster Material Police" who may be lurking around the fringes of the Forum.

Some of these "Holster Material Police" need to read the strict permit requirements of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).

[size=10][Edit: The usual typos.][/size]  :-/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:31:03 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
Very nice, Richard, and like the Rohrbaugh knife as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
Thank you, KJ. The knife is one of the Kershaw "Leek" designs by Ken Onion.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
I do like the Kershaw "Leek".  These have the Safe Speed, which is spring assist.  Amazing.  Acts like an automatic knife.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
I have some Rohrbaugh knives in stock, PM with interest.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
This from the Kershaw website:

[size=10]Is a SpeedSafe® knife a switchblade?

NO! There are many unique features of SpeedSafe® knives that make them quite different than knives that are considered switchblades. Unlike a switchblade, SpeedSafe® blades DO NOT deploy with the push of a button in the handle or by gravity alone. Instead, the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance—using the thumb stud or protrusion on the blade itself—in order to engage the SpeedSafe® system. Because the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance, SpeedSafe® knives fall fully outside the Federal definition of a switchblade. However, due to the complexity and constantly changing nature of these laws and regulations, it is impossible for Kershaw Knives to be aware of every restriction in every location in which our knives are sold or carried. It is the responsibility of the buyer to investigate and comply with the laws and regulations that apply in his or her specific area. [/size]

www.kershawknives.com
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
I don't think I said anything about a switchblade, Richard.  I said acts like an automatic knife.  Mine has a push at the top of the handle opposite the blade (Kershaw calls it a protrusion on the blade itself) and you just push that with your index finger and the blade flies out with lightning speed.  They also have a thumb push as well, which only requires a gentle nudge and it flies out the same.

If I pull mine out of my pocket, and push the index finger push, which only requires slight pressure, the blade flies out and you would think it was automatic.  The finger push requires the same pressure as the button on a switchblade.  I do have some switchblades and these are just as fast.

In fact, some of the reviews I read before purchasing, was exactly what some others had said.  The Kershaw safespeed acts like an automatic knife.

Some thoughts from a fully satisfied Kershaw Safespeed owner.      
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:34:46 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »
KJ:

I know you didn't. It's just the Second Amendment lawyer in me, which I hope you will forgive.  Some juriisdictions equate the terms "automatic" and "assisted opening" with the term "switchblade." The American Knife & Tool Institute works tirelessly to educate the public and the federal government and state legislatures on the difference. I was just attempting to eliminate any confusion which someone new to the concept might have as to the SpeedSafe® system.

http://www.akti.org/

And by the way, that's a beautiful trio of "Leeks" you have there!

[size=10][Edit: Typos. (This does it -- I have to start using glasses when writing these posts. Getting old is for the pits, except it does beat the alternative.)][/size]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:58:25 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
All forgiven, Richard.  I was trying to make it clear that the Kershaw acted like an automatic knife, not that it was one.  Glad you cleared that up.  Thanks!

And thanks for the comment on the trio!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:23:04 PM by kjtrains »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 08:17:28 AM »
That Elephant pocket holster is gorgeous and from a well known maker that we all love and miss is something that will keep his memory alive.
You can pass that down through generations.

Offline robertmeco

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
I had a busy weekend

robertmeco

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:55 PM »
I had a busy weekend

Dang Robert I bet them fingers are tired!   GREAT LOOKING STUFF,  there are gona  be lots of happy people checking the mail box in a couple days!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »
And I thought that was pictures of Corey's last order.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson