Author Topic: "Condition Five" for 1911s  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
"Condition Five" for 1911s
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »
I mentioned last December that for Christmas my wife had given me one of the SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) kits designed by William R. Laughridge of the Cylinder & Slide Shop.  The kit is now installed in my Colt 1911 (more accurately, M1991A1 Series 80), and it works like a charm!

This is a photograph of the pistol in what Jim Gardner called "Condition Five" in his article for the July/August 2005 edition of American Handgunner -- cocked and locked with the hammer down:

But disengage the safety, and the hammer springs smartly back to full-cock:

When you are ready to make the pistol safe, you just push the hammer forward and the safety engages again.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs.shtml

This is one "widget" that really works!  I can understand why the American Pistolsmiths Guild named Laughridge as "Pistolsmith of the Year" for 2005.  

http://www.americanpistol.com/Pistolsmiths/poyth2001.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:15:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
Re: "Condition Five" for 1911s
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 06:50:49 PM »
Very nice Colt, Richard!

I’m intrigued by this mod. It’s not something common like slapping on new grips, adding ambi-safety, or melting all the sharp edges! :-) This one actually changes the action of the gun and added another dimension into its operation! Laughridge is a genius. It seems he solved the condition-1 dilemma which scares a lot of people. Although new to the 1911 world, I am surprised that I haven’t heard about this new mod.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:51:21 PM by cuteo100 »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »
very nice! ;D
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:17:39 PM »
Very nice Colt, Richard!

I’m intrigued by this mod. It’s not something common like slapping on new grips, adding ambi-safety, or melting all the sharp edges! :-) This one actually changes the action of the gun and added another dimension into its operation! Laughridge is a genius. It seems he solved the condition-1 dilemma which scares a lot of people. Although new to the 1911 world, I am surprised that I haven’t heard about this new mod.

Cheers!

Cuteo:

In my not-so-humble opinion, Laughridge has created one of the few meaningful improvements on Browning's classic 1911 design.  

My beloved and gun-toting little wife was always a little bit "nervous" when I carried my 1911 "cocked and locked."  That wasn't really a problem for me, since one of my former commanding officers -- curiously -- had the same phobia and forbade anyone in his command to carry a 1911 in "Condition One" within his headquarters compound.  

Safe is safe.  I have comfortably carried a 1911 in what Colonel Cooper describes as "Condition One" for many years.  But Laughridge's SFS system sacrifices nothing in speed while giving comfort to those who, upon seeing a 1911 holstered and hammer-back, get a bit nervous.

I like it!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:38:05 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
That has to be the one modification that is all but ideal.

Hard to see it being bettered, tho I have no idea of the mechanics involved in achieving it.  Lovely gun Richard. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:43:00 AM »
Years ago Larry Seecamp's father designed a small double action .45acp pistol. We are trying to get Larry to build some for sale.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:15:46 PM »
Larry's father also designed a small double action 9mm pistol just slightly bigger than the Rohrbaugh. I'd like to see that in production as well.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:27:50 PM »
I recently took a different approach to cocked and locked safety.

When I first got my Kimber 1911, using the original extended left side only safety, I had the safety wipe off while carrying the gun in a fanny pack with a built-in holster with a thumb-break safety strap set up to pass between the hammer and firing pin.  Later, after installing an ambi safety, I had the safety wipe off while carrying the gun in one of the best IWB holsters I have seen.

So, I had Matt Del Fatti make an IWB holster with an upwardly extending tab on the inside of the holster.  Picture a sweat guard but one that doesn't extend up all the way.  The tab includes a thin metal reinforcement covered by a thin piece of leather, in much the same manner as a reinforced IWB top, but the reinforcement is for the tab only and the mouth is otherwise unreinforced.  The tab extends up under the left side safety lever, making it impossible for anything hitting the right side safety lever to wipe off the safety with the gun in the holster.

I can now carry a 1911 without occasionally looking for opportunities to check my safety's position when no one can see what I am doing.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »
That's one reason why I dumped the ambi-safeties both my Springfield’s came with.  The modification posted above is pretty neat indeed.  Seems a little pricey though at $165+.

I carry the Micro-Compact in a Milt Sparks VM-II and have never had the safety accidentally swipe off.  The holster is solid and the gun simply does not move.  It also has a nice "channel" that keeps the safety in the "on" position and it's absolutely rock solid.

Heck, the Micro-Compact actually "snaps" into the VM-II, and it's leather!  You'd swear it was kydex by the way it functions.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:59:00 PM by TXAGGIECHL »

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 10:03:32 PM »
Here's the MC Operator.  This thing is stupidly reliable and is my go everywhere, back-woods gun.  After looking more into the design of C&S's "Condition Five" setup, I'm almost tempted to order those parts for this gun as there are times when holster carry isn't practical, yet cocked & locked is a must.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 10:32:46 PM »
That's one reason why I dumped the ambi-safeties both my Springfield’s came with.  The modification posted above is pretty neat indeed.  Seems a little pricey though at $165+.

I

I thought about dumping it as well, but even though I am right handed, there are reasons I put it there in the first place.  Part of my training has included drawing and shooting the gun with either hand alone (drawing from a right side holster with my left hand), including manipulation of the safety, reloading, and clearing malfunctions with only one hand.  It is much faster to swipe the right side lever down with my left thumb than to reach around the pistol with my thumb to hit the left side lever.  All things considered I decided I needed a solution that accommodated both full manipulation of the gun and complete assurance that the safety would not be wiped off.

Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
Great looking gun pictures.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 07:41:49 PM »
Here's the MC Operator.  This thing is stupidly reliable and is my go everywhere, back-woods gun.  After looking more into the design of C&S's "Condition Five" setup, I'm almost tempted to order those parts for this gun as there are times when holster carry isn't practical, yet cocked & locked is a must.

"Stupidly reliable" is what keeps one alive when the proverbial dreck hits the proverbial fan.  

Great looking gun!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"