Author Topic: Recommendations?  (Read 4811 times)

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
Recommendations?
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »
Was invited today to go dove hunting (when the season begins) here in TX.  Have never been before so I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality, doesn't break the bank, shotgun to use/purchase.  What is the best guage - 12 or 20 or?
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Was invited today to go dove hunting (when the season begins) here in TX.  Have never been before so I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality, doesn't break the bank, shotgun to use/purchase.  What is the best guage - 12 or 20 or?

I used to use an over and under 28 gauge for doves......12 gauge is to much gun for them...but needed for ducks and turkey....JMO
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

A twenty is good, too.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:30 PM »
I do use a twenty; Remington auto; and have used it with the 16 ga. barrel.  Prefer the twenty for doves.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Kevin:

I prefer a 20-guage side-by-side shotgun for dove hunting. The CZ Ringneck (Stock # 8217) at this link would appear to offer good value for money at $849.00:

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/usedshotguns.html

I have no experience with or knowledge of the seller.

Good hunting! Or, as we used to say in Germany, Weidmannsheil!

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions/info, everyone - much appreciated.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
Now, good luck with those doves!   
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Kevin:

A day of migratory dove hunting in Texas should be a very enjoyable experience. The birds will be moving fast, often high, and from every direction.

I've related this story before on the Forum, but the best wing shot I ever made was accomplished with an old Stevens 20-guage side-by-side double. I was hunting migratory doves with a retriever I owned at the time, a very talented Vizsla named "Gypsy" (the dog I mentioned on Adam's recent thread on "Dozer"). The land on which we were hunting bordered the James River in Goochland County, Virginia, and was owned by one of my old Army buddies.  "Gypsy" and I were on the north bank of the river looking upland when a pair of birds came straight at us, high and fast. The dog was sitting on her haunches just to my right. Somehow, I managed to lead the pair exactly right and they fell alomost together literally at the dog's feet. She looked at the birds, which were both cleanly killed and not moving, looked up at me, looked back at the birds, and finally looked up at me again as if to say, "What am I supposed to do now?"

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
Ahh, the James River.  I used to live beside it in Newport News, Va. as a kid; the fishing stories I could tell on and at that river, however, this is about doves.  Great personal story, RS.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Kevin:

A day of migratory dove hunting in Texas should be a very enjoyable experience. The birds will be moving fast, often high, and from every direction.

I've related this story before on the Forum, but the best wing shot I ever made was accomplished with an old Stevens 20-guage side-by-side double. I was hunting migratory doves with a retriever I owned at the time, a very talented Vizsla named "Gypsy" (the dog I mentioned on Adam's recent thread on "Dozer"). The land on which we were hunting bordered the James River in Goochland County, Virginia, and was owned by one of my old Army buddies.  "Gypsy" and I were on the north bank of the river looking upland when a pair of birds came straight at us, high and fast. The dog was sitting on her haunches just to my right. Somehow, I managed to lead the pair exactly right and they fell alomost together literally at the dog's feet. She looked at the birds, which were both cleanly killed and not moving, looked up at me, looked back at the birds, and finally looked up at me again as if to say, "What am I supposed to do now?"

I could just see that.  Too funny.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
Ahh, the James River.  I used to live beside it in Newport News, Va. as a kid; the fishing stories I could tell on and at that river, however, this is about doves.  Great personal story, RS.

I trained in Richmond and most of us in internship and residency had zero money ($300/month and free laundry for our whites).  Used to fish the herring run in the James for sustenance...full of dioxin but we didn't know that then.  Lived otherwise on poker winnings and donating blood (donated a pint of blood for the cash to take my honey out on our first date).  Things were simpler then...it was all ahead of us.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
If you get lucky, look for a used superposed - I picked up a field grade one for $600 before, then spent about another ~$400 on having a pad installed, and chokes installed from Briley. 

If you go w. the CZ, and it doesn't have interchangeable chokes, check how tight the barrels are.  I had a 410 SXS, which was choked extra-full. 
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.