Author Topic: Who Really Invented The Safety Trigger ?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Who Really Invented The Safety Trigger ?
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Here is an old H&R -  Harrington and Richardson, breaktop pocket pistol in 32 S&W .

If you look at the trigger, you will see that it has a trigger safety.

This gun was made in the late 1800's, as I was told.  I have not researched it myself.  The latest may be early 1900.

Years ago a great Weaponsmith (the top of the foodchain among gunsmiths) told me, "when it comes to guns, there is rarely anything new.  It has already been done or tried; and usually by the Germans".
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Who Really Invented The Safety Trigger ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

Years ago a great Weaponsmith (the top of the foodchain among gunsmiths) told me, "when it comes to guns, there is rarely anything new.  It has already been done or tried; and usually by the Germans".

That certainly rings true.

I believe it was in 1974 that I happened to meet Dr. Wernher von Braun at a reception in Alexandria, Virginia, hosted by one of my corporate clients.  Von Braun, as I recall, had retired from NASA around 1972 and was working at the time for Fairchild Industries in Germantown, Maryland.

It was in some ways almost a surreal experience to meet that man. I could not help reminding myself that had he and his team at Peenemünde in WWII been given a few more years to continue their development of rocketry . . . .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:16:02 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"