Author Topic: "New" AMT .45 Backup offered by High Standard  (Read 6707 times)

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
"New" AMT .45 Backup offered by High Standard
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned on the forum before, but I was just made aware that High Standard is offering the AMT .45 Backup as a "new" gun. I've heard that they're actually made from left over parts from when Galena was making them.

http://www.highstandard.com/weapons-a-products/weapons/107.html

Mark
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:56:59 PM by scar2783 »
Mark

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
Re: "New" AMT .45 Backup offered by High Standard
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
Found this photo on another forum...

Mark
Mark

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »
It sue is a small .45.
I don't think it would fit in my pocket though.

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:21:45 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone here own a Backup to tell me how the trigger pull is on it..... is it smooth like the
R9 and how's the recoil.... 45 in such a small size would have a large recoil I would guess.

Thanks
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »
Buffalo, here's the trend from another forum where I found the comparison chart. A couple of the guys there said the trigger pull was VERY heavy. Most like it and stated that for what it is, it's very accurate. I've never fired one myself but wouldn't mind owning one.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/120325-amt-45-backup-rises-ashes-now-available-again-3.html

Mark
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:32:26 AM by scar2783 »
Mark

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone here own a Backup to tell me how the trigger pull is on it..... is it smooth like the
R9 and how's the recoil.... 45 in such a small size would have a large recoil I would guess.

Thanks

I have never owned a 45 Backup but I had a friend who had both the 380 and 45.  It has been about 15 years since I fired his and the only thing I remember about them is how horrible the triggers were on both guns.  Although my friend carried ever day up until he died, he never carried either of those guns.

Also, I have never shot a DAO hammer-fired pistol with a trigger as smoth and light as the R9.  The new  striker- fired compacts do have very nice triggers in my opinion.  Boberg is getting a lot of complaints on his trigger and he just brought out a "drop in short stroke" trigger as an accessory

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
I never owned an AMT but often thought about acquiring one. It's good to see that the old girl is being brought back in some new "livery." One thing remains the same, though. She's no better looking than she ever was. But then, her looks were never her selling point.   ;)

[Edited typo.]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:33:49 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
I fired one of the original AMT back-ups.  It was a handful and had one of the worst triggers I've ever pulled.  I was always under the impression that they were not great running guns.  Nevertheless, kind of interesting.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
With regard to my earlier comment regarding the "Ugly Duckling," I do note that High Standard elected to eliminate that gaping hole on the original AMT that exposed a portion of the trigger mechanism. I never understand the purpose of that lint catcher.

Also, a trigger pull that approaches 20 pounds, according to some reports, is astounding.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"