Author Topic: Do it yourself grip reduction. Done.  (Read 2169 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Do it yourself grip reduction. Done.
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »
Well I spent a good portion of the evening performing my first Glock grip reduction. I think it turned out handsomely. Almost as handsome as Richard and MRC's collection... Ok well maybe not. It is still a Glock.

Tracker mentioned a few months ago the idea and peaked my interest. So I have been researching it on good old you tube. There are some that filled the hollow portion with epoxy and then grind it down, but I went with the heat method. Just heat and then roll the bump on a table and it reduces it. Then I sanded and stippled it.

I was too chicken to do it on the 4th gen 27 I favor, so I did this one on a old gen 3 23 that was an LE gun I gave $425 for. I will shoot it tomorrow hopefully next to the 27 and see which I prefer, but I think the reduced will be the favorite.

Maybe I'll post some pics and let you fellas know how's it feels while shooting it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:54:03 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Do it yourself grip reduction. Done.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
A couple of pics.

I still need to either touch up the area around the mag release where I carved a bit of a relief or stipple the entire grip.

It feels a bit different. A little more of the hand seems to make contact with the grip
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:53:51 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »

Looks good, Josh, especially for your first one. If I tried to do that it would turn out to be an irretrievable disaster.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks. Also, thanks for the idea.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »
Josh,
The ones you invest time, effort and sometimes tears in oftn become your favorites.  I rebuilt a beater Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage caliber with an antique Lyman Alaskan scope on a Stith mount a few years back...probably 70+ hours invested.  It is still my favorite deer rifle.  Life is too short not to enjoy your goodies whether you polish and fondle them or, as is my wont, use them as the tools they were built to be.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »
Wow that's impressive. I don't compare Backup, but it has a bit of my sweat in it I guess : )

Anyway I like it alright. Just a cheap Glock, but it's somewhat improved.

John Stuart Mill