Author Topic: Covert to the range today  (Read 5421 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Covert to the range today
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
If you've followed the "Help Please, Karl Called" thread, you are familiar with the saga of my Covert.  It's back from the factory with a new frame provided by Karl due to the stripped screw that nobody could get out.  Took it to the range today and put 50 rounds of Lawman and 13 rounds of Gold Dot 124 through it with absolutely no problems.  Used a "bad guy" target and turns out that two hand point and shoot rapid fire in three round bursts seems to be my best technique other than slow aimed fire at 7 - 8 yards.  I don't trust one handed shooting right now...I tend to get failures to feed due to somewhat weak wrist (arthritis) but I'm going to start wrist strengthening exercises and see if that helps.  Grip screws were tightened firmly when I put the VZ's on last night and all 4 were loose after the range session today.  Still waiting for Yankee to get his act together and send me the rubber grommets (Yes, John, you!). Letting the EEZOX dry tonight and will start carrying it tomorrow.  I'll put out some size comparison pictures in the next day or two with the Seecamp .32, the Boberg XR9, the Beretta Bobcat and a Kimber CDPII. 

So far, my opinion:
1.  The Seecamp is by far the best pocket pistol...best used at 4 yards or less with no sights.  OK on a belt holster, but harder to get at because it's so small.  I like the Meco Billy holster for for belt wear (OWB or inside the belt) but recommend the lined holster to prevent scratches on the jewel-like finish of the slide.  Ammo sensitive.  Seems to be best used one handed at close range...point and shoot.  Recoil is sharp but manageable.
2.  The R9 is equally at home in the pocket (front) or IWB/OWB in a good holster, and for me is the best compromise for daily carry...it's just plain comfortable to the point I've almost entered a Post Office armed because I forgot I had it on.  Best at 4 to 10 yards but rapid fire, for me, 8 yards is best.  Can be ammo sensitive in some cases.  Also better two handed (at least for me).  Recoil is sharp and it bites my trigger finger...best used with a leather glove on the range, or a band-aid on the forefinger if many rounds are to be fired.
3.  The Boberg is an incredibly nice pistol, shoots +P 9mm, is larger and thicker than the R9, but is much more accurate and easier to shoot at greater distances....feels a lot like my Kimber .45 Ultra CDPII, but with minimal recoil.  The adjustable white dot sights make it feel like a much larger pistol than it is.  Can be pocket carried, but best IWB/OWB.  A great primary carry and hides easily.  Somewhat ammo sensitive...needs crimped cases mostly due to the rearward extraction from the magazine (can get case separation).  Sometime this year there should be a replacement barrel available that will allow +P+ ammo to be used.
4. Kimber as above is larger, heavier, but carries great with proper clothing...would be my preference by far in a stressful social engagement.  Eats Golden Sabres, but also most decent ammo that I've used (WWB for the range).
5.  Beretta Bobcat .22 is my wife's...amazingly accurate at 7 yards, but I suspect it would be most effective at 2 yards or less.  Main benefit is you can load without racking the slide due to the tilt barrel.  No recoil of course.
6.  S&W 642 .38 snubby:  beautiful piece with laser sight.  I can't shoot it worth a darn...at 10 yards, 5 shots two hand rapid fire I may get two center mass, one left elbow, one right shoulder, and one God knows where.  Have an SP101 .357 with a 2" barrel that is quite effective, but the 642 thing just doesn't work for me.  Too nice to trade...it is my car gun around town.  I figure even I can make it work at point blank range!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Covert to the range today
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

Great summary and thanks for the update; there is, indeed, something for everyone.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »
backup.  Glad the Covert is home and everything functioned as it should.  Continue to enjoy. 
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:52 PM »
Thanks for ther observations.

My number one choice to carry is the Rohrbaugh.  If I happen to be wearing pants with the pockets too shallow to completely hide it, I carry the Seecamp.

Both of them are a masterpiece of engineering and industial design.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
Thanks for ther observations.

My number one choice to carry is the Rohrbaugh.  If I happen to be wearing pants with the pockets too shallow to completely hide it, I carry the Seecamp.

Both of them are a masterpiece of engineering and industial design.
I like the Seecamp....have carried one since 1985 when they added the 32acp...never thought much of the 25..........
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
Don't see how you can go wrong with either pistol...both superbly engineered and comfortable to carry.  I've read that statistically, most forcible felony events requiring discharge of the weapon occur at a range of about 4 yards and are completed with either 2 rounds fired, or the weapon is fired until empty.  Reloads are basically never needed (darn good thing if Seecamp or R9 is the primary weapon!).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis