Author Topic: Saint Petersburg, Russia  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Saint Petersburg, Russia
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:58:43 AM »
Just got back -- very nice city, very pretty -- if any of ya'll are into paintings/have wives who are -- I can't reccomend the Hermitage highly enough -- amazing collection, and no glass, ropes, barriers etc, just you and da Vincis, Picassos, Rembrants, etc hanging on a wall.  It seemed like quite a safe city -- far more than Frankfurt, or Chicago, Detroit, etc -- I wanted to check out a Russian gun store, but "good" Russians, like the ones I stayed with, don't have anything to do with guns, even though it's pretty simple to own them under Russian law  (you can't own pistols, and have to have a special permit to have a rifle, but you can keep a shotgun in your house, and can keep this AK-47 based shotgun in a car, provided you keep the clip out of it.  I saw a billboard for crossbows, but I couldn't find the store -- I wanted to check out their electronic rubber bullet revolvers -- seemed like an interesting idea.)  As far as not being armed, it didn't bother me, but I think I had 6 inches and at least 150 pounds on the men walking around -- I did get to terrify a pickpocket that I caught w. his hand in my coat pocket -- not too much since I didn't want to upset the girl I was with.

Sorry for the novella -- if anyone is thinking about going to Russia, send me a PM -- I have some suggestions that would probably be helpful
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Saint Petersburg, Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:59:03 PM »
Aglifter, tell us more, very interesting!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »
Interesting trip.  All I think of initially - is the number of hours in the air:D

I have wondered how much things may have changed over the last few years.  Are things more ''Westernized''?  What appears to be the average person's wealth factor (or not)?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:08:02 PM »
That is a long way for an Aggie to go for a date. I have
seen some Russian women here and there are a lot of
beauties. They probably don't talk back, either, unless
marriage comes into the picture.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »
Aglifter:

Yes, tell us more.  

Catherine the Great was a lady of tremendous "appetite," fine art included.  I hope to spend some time in the Hermitage before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 02:14:40 AM »
Not a date, old friend of mine.  It's quite Westernized -- I don't think the Soviets ever were able to made much of an impact there -- it was always the most Western city in Russia.  As far as expenses, basically, a BAD hotel -- at a level that doesn't exist in the US, and is all that exists in some of the odder parts of the world I've been in -- costs $40/night, but a very nice one costs $100.  Same, I think w. food -- all the restaurants I went to were between $60~100 for the two of us, but it was a good dinner, with drinks, etc -- service is abysmal though.  Everything is wonderfully designed, seems to be a huge supply of architects.  I'm sure there are very poor people, but Russian society is tremendously segmented, and I didn't have any contact with them... I also saw plenty of Rolls, Range Rovers, Hummers, and even a Maybach cruising around -- didn't have any contact w. the oligarchs either.

The ballet is quite nice as well -- I have to admit that I didn't understand the really artistic bit -- we saw two, the first, I found quite dull, but was informed that it was very good, the second, which was a comedy, I thought was pretty amusing, and was told it wasn't too well done -- oh well, us Aggies aren't meant to be too cultured.  

As for the flight, fly business class, and British Airways is a pretty pleasant airline -- I think it's about 7 hours from JFK to heathrow, and then about 3.5 hours after to Saint P -- It's pretty easy to arrange to have an extended layover in London -- I have an easier time w. the jet lag is I break the flight up, and London's quite pleasant, as is Dublin -- pretty easy little hop flight.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:20:26 AM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:43:36 AM »
Our relations with Russian are so different now.

I was finally able to talk with all 18 countries in Russia with my amateur radio station.  Russia was sub-divided into 18 countries for radio purposes.

To prove that a contact was made, I had to get a QSL card from each person confirming that the conversation took place.  QSL card is post card size.

Anyway, back then you could not write directly to a person.  I sent my  requests to Box 88, Moscow, USSR.

My total of different countries talked with was 303.  I got QSL cards from all, except two.

Thanks for telling more about the Russian trip.  It is very interesting.  We are glad you said more about it.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:46:08 AM »
Aglifter, thanks for more info on trip. It sounds interesting and fun to see the sights. No country music huh?
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
Thx from me too Brad - I was unsure what to imagine.

Well - I have done the ''pond flight'' too many times and that 7 hours is all I ever needed - tho I guess another 3.5 after some layover time is not too bad.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.