Author Topic: Let's talk about recoil, man.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
Let's talk about recoil, man.
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »
I was unable to include the section regarding recoil in my range report due to the length limit on the post. I thought it deserves mention in it's own thread anyway.

When I went to fire that first round I had my arms locked in trepidation and a fearful grimace on my face. I was expecting the gun to fight to remove itself from my control with each shot.

Imagine my suprise when I realized how easy this gun actually was to shoot. maybe it is partly just a good fit in my hand but I am betting a lot of work and thought went into designing this gun to be manageable. It was not a pleasant gun to shoot but I would in no way describe it as abusive and not at all painfu. I did start to notice a lot of hand fatigue after about 30 rounds though. Putting the full 100 rounds, with an hour break between the first and second 50 to allow the gun to cool down, was a bit of a chore.

I would compare it's recoil to that of my Walther PPK and my NAA 380 Guardian. That is suprising when you consider that the R9s is lighter than either one of these guns and fires a much more powerful round. I will also add that it is less punishing than my Seecamp LWS380 when it comes to the range. I still rank my LWS380 as my #1 go-to gun but this gun gives me a great (and very close) 2nd place option.

I am assuming the ease of shooting is due a great deal to the fact that this gun is a lock-breech design and the other three mentioned are all blow-back models. Of course I am assuming this gun would have to be a lock-breech due to the aluminum slide. I would think a blow-back design pretty much requires a solid material frame like on the Guardian, PPK, and Seecamp.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:36:27 PM by PlayboyPenguin »
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Let's talk about recoil, man.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
I am assuming the ease of shooting is due a great deal to the fact that this gun is a lock-breech design and the other three mentioned are all blow-back models. Of course I am assuming this gun would have to be a lock-breech due to the aluminum slide. I would think a blow-back design pretty much requires a solid material frame like on the Guardian, PPK, and Seecamp.

Very well stated.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »
Hi PlayboyPenguin,

The R9S is not a gun for a novice but it is more than managable. I have shot mine at targets out to 25 yards and can hold 3 to 5 inch group. I don't normally shoot at this distance with the pup but it is good to know its capabilities.

Even double taps at typical combat distances do ok.

I have a S & W 340PD which is a real punisher. I don't think I have ever shot more than 10 mag rounds at any one session. It is more unpleasant to shoot than my Ruger 454 Alaskan.  I guess when I go back to shooting the pup its tame.
NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR PUP!
CHECK 360

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:02:23 AM »
I agree with you Penquin, the Pup is no big deal as far a controlling; the main reason may be due to your experience with your other pocket rockets- Gaurdian and Seecamp.  And your experience with your PPK doesn't hurt either.

Don't sell yourself short.

Reinz

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Duncan223

• Proud Son Of The American Revolution
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:34:48 AM »
When I got my gun, I think I put 50 rounds through it the first time. I thought the "kick" was a little more than my P3AT but not too bad. Over the course of a week or so, and shooting other guns as well, I put over 200 rounds through it. Replaced the spring, blah, blah, blah...

The gun functions like it should and as other have said, the recoil is no where near as bad as some people believe. I like the gun, and it performs well for the intended purpose.  
NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
thats all you could ask for 8)   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
I also find the recoil of this gun not to be a problem espescially for it's size.  When I first got it, loaded it up and hefted it toward the target.  I remember thinking I had better put a death grip on this thing or I would surely loose it!  I had no prior experience in shooting pocket rockets.

I did momentarily own a Detonics Pocket Nine that hurt like the dickens when I shot it.  That one was traded away a long time ago.