Author Topic: Considering buying - Couple of questions  (Read 2362 times)

Offline gilraen

Considering buying - Couple of questions
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:11:20 PM »
Hi all, newbie here.

I'm seriously looking at the R9 as a carry weapon, but have a few questions.

First of all, I'm a middle aged woman, apple-shaped, with sort of short stubby fingers.  I expect to get my CHL in October (Texas waiting time is about 120 days!)

I had a Bersa Thunder 9mm that I liked, but which was too big for my hands.  Gave it to my son.  I now have a Sig P239 9mm, which I adore.  But it's a bit too big and heavy to carry very well. :(  I also have test fired several other guns and found most of them too big for my hands.  The P239 was a wonderful exception.

After spending quite a lot of time doing online research and comparisons of stats, my top pick is the R9.  BUT...

I live in Houston, and there are NO dealers here, per the Rohrbaugh website.  Dallas is 7 hours away.  I haven't found one to even hold, let alone test fire.  After my Bersa mistake, I really hate to spend $1100 on a gun that I can't even hold first.

1)  Does anyone know what the circumference on a R9 9mm is? (Meaning from the back of the grip where the web of the hand goes, around the front of the trigger, and back to the starting point.) The website doesn't say.  
2) What is its width?  Website doesn't say.
3) I worry that the short grip will interfere with my ability to control the recoil.  I've seen a couple of comments about GF or wife being able to shoot it, but....I still have concerns.
4) I wonder if there is anyone here who lives in Houston or surrounding towns, who would be kind enough to let me test fire theirs?  I promise I won't hurt it.   ;D

(I'm assuming R9's are in short supply, due to the Am. Handgunner article, and I hope to avoid calling umpteen-hundred gun shops in the hopes of finding one before it's sold.)

Can anyone help me?
Most libs want to take away my 2A rights; most cons want to take away my 1A rights.  Politics sucks.

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
Re: Considering buying - Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi,
We're going to be in the Houston area attending theTexas CHL forum day toward the end of Sept.

If you're interested, and you want to meet us there, you can try mine out. We'll be at the PSC Range in Friendswood - it's a private club, but will be open to the public for the forum day. The Texas CHL forum day is full of shooting clinics and are a lot of fun and very informative. Check out the link for the schedule of events. It is worth attending if you have free time on that Saturday!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:32:34 PM by MrsFosforos »

Offline gilraen

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
Hey, MrsFos!  Thank you for the link.  I'm looking at it now.  Ummm...haven't I seen you at womenandguns?  Or is it at TexasCHLForum I've seen you?  
Most libs want to take away my 2A rights; most cons want to take away my 1A rights.  Politics sucks.

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »
Hey, MrsFos!  Thank you for the link.  I'm looking at it now.  Ummm...haven't I seen you at womenandguns?  Or is it at TexasCHLForum I've seen you?  

Both! I get around!

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Re: Considering buying - Couple of question
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:09 AM »
Tom (Irish Guard) can help you out.  Yeah, he's in Dallas and being a former Dallasite and recently refusing a job in Houston...I know you Houstonions don't like to go to The Big D/The Metroplex (and visa versa)  :) :).  Tom's a good guy!!!

I'd also recommend to you Texans (and others) to check out www.tigervalley.com for some VERY good tactical training and general handgun training.  They have a facility in Waco and in Dallas.  

Offline turbinekat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:59:16 AM »
I live in the Clear Lake area, south of Houston if you are interested in handling an R9...;D

Irish Guard...let me know when you are in Friendswood, I'm about 10 minutes away.

Thanks,

Lee
Know guns, know peace, know safety.

No guns, no peace, no safety.

Offline gilraen

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
Thank you very much, everyone, for your comments.  Now I have two opportunities to try one out.  An embarrassment of riches!

Offline zee

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »
its about the smallest pistol you will be able to get of any quality. it is alot smaller than any sig and you will be able to put it in a pocket. i have very very small hands size 5 1/2 ring, and its good for me.

Offline gilraen

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »
You're a woman, right zee?  What is the perceived recoil like to you?  Does it want to jump out of your hands?  How many rounds before your hand gets sore?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
gilraen, I'm a dealer in Dallas and would be happy to help you get a R9. You can either come to Dallas and pick it up/transfer it or I can ship it to a local dealer of your choice.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:15 PM »
I will be in Houston after Aug 14th or so -- if you'd like, I'd be happy to let you try out my pup.  So far, many women have found it comfortable, but find the recoil difficult.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Jimh

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »
Hello gilraen, my wife has an R9 that she keeps with her at all times, and at 66, she can shoot with the best of the men at the range. You will love the R9, it carries very well, shoots even better and and is small enough to fit almost anywhere.
Good luck..

Offline Bill_in_TX

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Hello gilraen,

I'm a new R9s owner and also have a number of Sigs.

I just compared the R9 grip circumference to my P239 (mine's the bigger caliber 357Sig, but I think the frames are the same).

Using an old tailor's cloth measuring tape I got about 7 1/8 inches with the Sig and 6 1/2 inches on the Rohrbaugh -- both measured directly back from the trigger (fully uncocked, double action mode in each case).  Over the years that tape has actually shrunk a bit, so add about 1/16" to both measures.

My calipers say that the R9 is about 0.9" thick at the grips, while my Sig is about 1.2" thick at the same point (the Sig may be exaggerated slightly because it has extra thin Hogue wood grips on it).

If you could hold the Sig 239 well and reach its trigger, then I doubt that you'd have any trouble with the R9.

I'm also in Houston (NorthEast, Kingwood area) and would gladly let you handle and/or shoot my R9.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »
there you go. 8)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus