Author Topic: Range Report  Predator vs Talon II Ltwt  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Range Report  Predator vs Talon II Ltwt
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
Well went to the Range yesterday and took the Hawks out. I mostly fired from around 15 Yards at Steel and Paper. I was using Lead Reloads and hornady XTP Factory's. I shot the Predator first and it was smooth as silk as always, Very predictable, fairly soft, extremely accurate. After a few mags I switched over to the Lightweight Talon II Bobtail. The first thing I noticed (or sensed actually) is, This thing is little! I know it is relative, I had just put down a full sized Stainless Predator. But the sensation of small (also due to it's lightweight contributed to the "small feeling)was still there. Then when I pointed it at the Steel I thought wow, fast! Again relative, like when you drive your truck for a long time and then get in your wife's small car, The truck may be more powerful and sure the car just feels more nimble. Firing the Talon II was slightly more sporty then the Pred. But not enough to be concerned about, and these old eyes had to pay a little more attention to the smaller sight picture on the tallon II. (Again I had just put down a Predator with 10-8 Rear Combat sights, and Dawson Precision Front Fiber, not quite an equal setup) The Talon II tended to shoot a little low for me but once I figured it out everything was fine. And in the Combat accuracy
format The Talon would have cleaned the bad guy's clock low or not.
After a hundred rounds or so some guys from the range next to me came over to check out the "Black Gun" I was firing. They were all impressed with the lightweight. They saw it was a Commander and had expectations of what it would weigh. It surprised them all. All in all, I was impressed with the "Little" guy, and feel he is now a member of the family. (now I hear these little whispers saying "T-3", "we want a little sister, T-3".......

Chief

Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Range Report  Predator vs Talon II Ltwt
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »
You know it never stops; got to have another, for sure!    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JHatmaker

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
That Talon II is beautiful, very nice choice!!
Is that a 9mm in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
 Yes, it is a very nice looking weapon, I am not sure about how long the permakote will hold up on the Alloy frame, but I am told it will last a while. Permakote is a Ceramic based coating. Diamond Black and other coatings are not available for it due to the possibility of harming the anodization on the frame.  I am trying to decide on the sights on the gun now though. I like the 10-8 rear sights I put on the Predator, but due to the fact this is a carry gun, I do not want to go the fiber route on the front as fiber gets broken and the sights tend to have not the smoothest shape. The gun fits really well though and still holds 8 round mags.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
Sound like a great range report with awesome hardware.

If you go with another gun,  I would get the sights the same as the other one you will carry/use the most.

Have fun Cheif, awesome!  8)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE