Author Topic: Building "The Great Wall" at Critter Creek (No Gun Content)  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Building "The Great Wall" at Critter Creek (No Gun Content)
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
The latest news from Critter Creek concerns my efforts to construct a road frontage wall for the three-acre property which is surrounded on three sides by a 200-year old rock wall.  Here are photos of two portions of the existing wall:

With the help of a dump truck, a front-end loader, and a backhoe, the foundation of "The Great Wall" is now completed with these boulders, some of which weigh in at over 1,000 pounds:

The next phase involves smaller river rocks, for which I have purchased this abandoned chimney of a 150-year-old cabin which burned many years ago.  The rocks were dry stacked with mud for mortar and no chimney liner.  All of the chimney rocks are now on site at Critter Creek and the next phase begins tomorrow.

At this stage, I could use one of the Legions that the Emperor Hadrian employed to build his wall across Roman Britain.   ::)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Building "The Great Wall" at Critter Creek (No Gun Content)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
Idylllc, pastoral, bucolic, and beautiful; I once laid big belgian blocks in a driveway in Connecticut and can appreciate in a small way the back breaking labor.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:08:21 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
Back breaking labor indeed!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »
Mr. Obama has recently said that he wants to increase employment by repairing our infrastructure...perhaps you can importune him to pay some unemployed men to build your wall for you.  You should, however, be aware that the increase in your taxes would outweight by far the cost to you of simply hiring it done yourself.

Seriously, don't ruin your back...get help!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!  I'll take care with the back.  As I figure it, hauling and stacking river rocks beats a workout at  the gym.  So far, the only injuries are a scrape or two here and there.  (Those river rocks are unforgiving.)

Surprisingly, I have received two calls from people whose grandparents built the cabin and the chimney pictured above.  Both of them said they were glad the chimney rocks were staying in the "neighborhood" rather than being sold to a contractor.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »

There is nothing quite like pristine restoration.