Author Topic: R9s, how many rounds through me?  (Read 9475 times)

Offline JohnnyE

Re: R9s, how many rounds through me?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »
Another round that I particularly like in the R9 is Federal HST 124 gr.
So far, I've only tried 115 grain ammo, but I remember the great reports about the HST is all calibers. I'll order some up and give it a try.

Thank for the head's up!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Okay, so your grip panels were just smudged. Good, no problem there. Your barrel lug area is not deformed in any way, so it has seated itself to the frame perfectly, good. The top of your barrel has the usual wear, good. The only thing that is tough to see is whether or not there is a ridge along the lockup area on the inside top of the slide. If you have a ridge there, grab a fine grade rat-tail file and just kiss that edge, removing any ridge and that should help smooth function of the slide / barrel when shooting the firearm. Ref. the issue you have with Speer Gold Dots in your R9, that is a bit tougher to figure out as I usually test fired every pistol with one magazine of Federal American Eagle 115 FMJ and another with Speer 115 JHP Gold Dots. After you clean up that ridge on the slide, try the Gold Dot 115 ammo again and let us know how they function. We’ll try things from there if you still have an issue with them. The length of the Speer GDs have been an issue with the R9 due to them seemingly being a little longer than most 9mm ammunition, depending on the batch you have.

Stay well, Stay safe.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »
One cartridge I’ve had good luck with is the Federal HST 9mm 150 gr. MICRO.

It’s supposedly optimized for short barreled 9mm’s. We fired around 200 rounds of it through our R9S’s.

Usually you can find it at Wally World.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
STB also likes it---for the most part. I was quite surprised that a 150 gr bullet expanded that much from a short barrel.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/shooting-the-bulls-ammo-quest-is-back-federal-hst-micro-150-grain-gel-test-video/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:05:05 PM by tracker »

Offline JohnnyE

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 08:45:16 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Okay, so your grip panels were just smudged. Good, no problem there. Your barrel lug area is not deformed in any way, so it has seated itself to the frame perfectly, good. The top of your barrel has the usual wear, good. The only thing that is tough to see is whether or not there is a ridge along the lockup area on the inside top of the slide. If you have a ridge there, grab a fine grade rat-tail file and just kiss that edge, removing any ridge and that should help smooth function of the slide / barrel when shooting the firearm. Ref. the issue you have with Speer Gold Dots in your R9, that is a bit tougher to figure out as I usually test fired every pistol with one magazine of Federal American Eagle 115 FMJ and another with Speer 115 JHP Gold Dots. After you clean up that ridge on the slide, try the Gold Dot 115 ammo again and let us know how they function. We’ll try things from there if you still have an issue with them. The length of the Speer GDs have been an issue with the R9 due to them seemingly being a little longer than most 9mm ammunition, depending on the batch you have.

Stay well, Stay safe.

Regards,

Eric R.

Hey Eric,

Thanks for your keen insight!

I think I figured out what you are looking for regarding pictures, so I snapped a few more.

I think the photo of the slide shows that there is no mushrooming or other evidence of pounding where metal was hammer-worked and bulges out, so there is nothing to reduce with a file. There is no detectable "ridge" on the slide at the ejection port opening for me to attack with a rat tail file. At the top, the ejection port opening is very slightly worn and radiused. There is nothing to catch my fingernail on. I am at a bit of a loss to apply any gunsmithing skills. That leaves me puzzled regarding the Gold Dots

I think the photos of the barrel shows the sharp edge, with no mushrooming or rounding...just a crisp edge.

I am deducing that the lack of evidence of pounding or rounding indicates this gun has a fairly low total round count and little to no +P action...which comforts me in that I hope it has a long life ahead of it.

Thanks much and be safe as well. Maybe this pistol will have a role in that...time will tell.

As always, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Johnny

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
This second owner R9 may be the most scrutinized and analyzed one in this forum's history.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:52 PM »
Interesting, I had hard primer issues with Hornady Critical Defense because they were outsourcing primers and they were coming in hard and would misfire in the R9. However, things may have changed so stay with what works. I wouldn't use any ammo made by Remington.

tracker

Here is some info on the ammo I use all the time in my Solo and 365.  It has to be the bonded version.  I have never found a bad test and have never had a failure of any kind.

I was using Federal HST 124 gr +P but tests by mousegunaddict failed in his Solo so I switched.

It is hard to find but I put my name on SGAMMO's wait list and buy the 50 round boxes.  See the last link.  Very good Remington ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swdtxtk041s

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/05/ballistics-testing-remington-golden.html

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/10/remington-golden-saber-bonded-9mm-p-124.html

https://www.sgammo.com/product/remington/50-round-box-9mm-luger-p-124-grain-bonded-remington-golden-saber-ammo-gsb9mmd
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:12:39 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 01:12:29 PM »
I stand corrected on the Golden Saber except, of course, not recommending the +P version for the R9. Is all of the bonded Golden Saber +P?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:30:50 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
Right at the moment I cannot find any standard velocity listed so maybe it is not made.

Their Black Belt ammo is available in standard pressure and is supposed to act as Bonded Ammo.  The interest in testing is low it seems and I have not seen many tests on the Black Belt.

Here is a test from  Lucky Gunner using a 4" Smith.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-p-124-grain-jhp-remington-golden-saber-black-belt-500-rounds#geltest

Offline JohnnyE

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
This second owner R9 may be the most scrutinized and analyzed one in this forum's history.
Pop was an engineer, and mom was a surgeon. My cousin was a cartographer. It's baked into my DNA. I come by it honestly!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
Good on 'ya, mate! Another good thing about this dialogue coupled with Eric's extraordinary expertise is that it keeps this forum humming along like it did in the past!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:04:51 PM by tracker »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 02:35:15 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Sorry it has taken this long to respond, but, as mentioned earlier, I am busy with other things also and only check in here every so often. As long as that's ok with everyone, that works well for me. So, no discernable ridge on the inside of the slide nor on the lockup on the barrel. Wow. . . . . then the Gold Dot issue has me stumped here. The only other thing then is that if I had your R9 at my old shop, I would probably use my Dremel tool to "open up" the feed ramp slightly. That usually does the trick but without having access to that any longer, nor can I do gunsmithing at this point (licensing), I would just use what your R9 will digest and leave it at that at this point.

Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer!

Stay Safe!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline JohnnyE

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Sorry it has taken this long to respond, but, as mentioned earlier, I am busy with other things also and only check in here every so often. As long as that's ok with everyone, that works well for me. So, no discernable ridge on the inside of the slide nor on the lockup on the barrel. Wow. . . . . then the Gold Dot issue has me stumped here. The only other thing then is that if I had your R9 at my old shop, I would probably use my Dremel tool to "open up" the feed ramp slightly. That usually does the trick but without having access to that any longer, nor can I do gunsmithing at this point (licensing), I would just use what your R9 will digest and leave it at that at this point.

Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer!

Stay Safe!

Regards,

Eric R.
Hi Eric,

My summer has been OK, but it's been my turn to be away due to a dear family member suffering a serious health issue. Fortunately, they're on the mend and life should soon be back to normal. Now I can get back to things Rohrbaugh!

I'm glad you think the gun looks good!

I read your words carefully about what you might have done if you had the shop and license and, with that, hauled out my Dremel and various felt wheels and polishing compounds.

Now, I only VERY DELICATELY put a bright shine on the feed ramp. I did not attempt to open it up or flare it at the bottom of the ramp. From what I read, I gleaned you thought of altering the feed ramp profile from its current constant radius, like a section of a cylinder, more toward a slightly conic or funnel-like profile having a larger radius at the bottom of the ramp that tapers down to the original radius where the ramp meets the chamber. Not having access to a replacement barrel in case I bollixed it up (can't afford to experiment), the polish job shall have to suffice.

I plan on hitting the range on Sunday, and if I do, I'll report back. I picked up some other 9mm JHP ammo to try, including a box of Federal 124 gr. HST in addition to still having some 115 gr. Gold Dot. No matter how it comes out. I am more than content to "settle" with Critical Defense and Silvertips as carry ammo. It's about where you place the bullet much more so that how it's constructed.

Cheers!

Johnny

NEXT DAY (SUNDAY) UPDATE:

Following the feed ramp polish on Saturday, I hit the range. Started with Gold Dot. The first Gold Dot made it up the ramp! Then it proceeded to ram its nose into the top of the chamber and stop right their, failing to chamber. Arrgh! Oh well. I should have polished the chamber while I had the Dremel in my hand the day before. I dug it out and polished the roof of the chamber a short time ago.

That was it for Gold Dot. I switched to PPU 115 gr JHP and two mags ran just fine. Next came a couple of mags of Corbon 95 gr. DPX. That ran fine, too. Then I moved to Federal 124 gr HST. That felt pretty stout. All HST chambered fine, but several rounds took two or three strikes to fire. Either the primers are hard, or the gun was getting dirty. I found that as the gun gets dirty, it starts to misfire.

Are there more powerful hammer springs available?

No matter what happens, it's fun learning about this pistol

JE

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:09:40 PM by JohnnyE »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »
Hey Johnny,

No, there are just one strength hammer spring available. You seemed to have picked up the right idea on what I was going to try with the feed ramp. I would also try "Opening the top of the ramp" just a smidgen too. Also, be aware that each gun has tolerances in some areas such as the usual plus or minus .005" , however, this is a Rohrbaugh. Some of our tolerances were plus .001" or .002" and minus .000", so keep that in mind also. With "Stacking of tolerances", each R9 is one unto itself, so if yours feeds a few different types of ammo but not the one you think you want to use, say Gold Dots, you may have to live with the other few that work 100% and forego trying to make Gold Dots work. Your particular firearm just may not like a certain ammunition due to those stacking of tolerances, but if it likes a few others, simply go with those. There are many good rounds out there in today's world of self defensive ammunition rounds, so don't over think it too much. If a certain defense ammo works just fine in your R9, then go with it!
By the way, the lockup area of the barrel looks amazing! If you can just clean up that little bit of debris on the edge, that's all to do. Leave the rest of the barrel alone. Both barrel and the inside of the slide look perfect.

Best to you Sir!

Regards,

Eric R.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:06:30 PM by ECR »