Author Topic: New Member On The Hunt for an R9  (Read 6976 times)

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
  • Guns, Knives, and Liquor
Re: New Member On The Hunt for an R9
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »
Bosco, try to find some Lawman, made also by Speer as a cheaper FMJ alternative to the Gold Dot, supposedly engineered to mimic the Gold Dot’s “feel”.  Much better for practice.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Last time I was on ammoseek it seemed that the Lawman was pretty easy to find.
Those who dream of the banquet, wake to lamentation and sorrow.
Those who dream of lamentation and sorrow wake to join the hunt.
               —The Wisdom of Laotse, 236

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 11:05:23 PM »
Nice find bosco!  One of the last pistols for sure.   The last pistol I made was from prototype parts from different vendors and different finishes.  That serial number was R6336.   Yes, I still have that one and I'll go to my grave with it too!
Good Luck with your treasure pistol. Getting harder to find NIB units now.  Glad you found one!

Be safe and stay well.

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 11:42:01 PM »
Nice find bosco!  One of the last pistols for sure.   The last pistol I made was from prototype parts from different vendors and different finishes.  That serial number was R6336.   Yes, I still have that one and I'll go to my grave with it too!
Good Luck with your treasure pistol. Getting harder to find NIB units now.  Glad you found one!

Be safe and stay well.

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Thanks, Eric.  I'm just thrilled to have found it!  I had taken out my Remington RM380, and I was just admiring the pistol when it occurred to me that I hadn't looked at gunbroker for a while (although I was watching another R9 at the time).  I logged on, did a search, and this pistol popped up...with not only a Buy It Now feature, but also the Take A Shot option.  I did the latter, and within 1 minute had a deal.  I can only credit fate for this one!

I'll be posting feedback about my initial experiences with the gun, and I'd love to hear your reactions.

Thanks much.....

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:18 PM »
Okay...I think I'm ready for my R9.  This is what I have on hand/inbound/etc:

1). The Rohrbaugh with a spare recoil spring and one additional mag.

2). A NIB R9 magazine, found on eBay (for which I overpaid).

3) 100 rounds of Gold Dots 124 gr rounds on their way.  And both ARX Inceptor and Federal HST rounds already in stock. 

4). 5 more recoil springs from Wolff. 

5). Confirmation from Brian at Designergrips that he can provide me with both his gorgeous custom grips as well as the R9 assembly tool.

So, I think I'm good.  Now, let's hope the R9 gets here safely, and that it isn't a lemon.  Fingers crossed.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:06:11 AM »

3) 100 rounds of Gold Dots 124 gr rounds on their way.  And both ARX Inceptor and Federal HST rounds already in stock. 

5). Confirmation from Brian at Designergrips that he can provide me with both his gorgeous custom grips as well as the R9 assembly tool.

So, I think I'm good.  Now, let's hope the R9 gets here safely, and that it isn't a lemon.  Fingers crossed.

Holster?

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »

Holster?

I've got a couple of Barsony holsters that will work with the R9 while I'm ensuring that it is the pistol I'd hoped for.  Should it prove to be shootable and reliable, then I'll spring for the kind of holster it really deserves. 

Online backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »
.....OR, since this is a concealed carry weapon, where presumably nobody sees the holster, you might try a very light, effective and inexpensive pocket-carry alternative, ie:  DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly.  I have retired all of my leather pocket holsters in favor of those, although I do still carry my R9 OWB in a Bear Creek or Del Fatti on occasion.  We look forward to your range report!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »
.....OR, since this is a concealed carry weapon, you might also check out............

https://stickyholsters.com/sm-2-small-sticky-holster.html

https://blackhawk.com/tecgrip-pocket-holsters-ambidextrous/

Those two are usually easy to find at the local Academy or store like that.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 10:10:06 AM »
.....OR, since this is a concealed carry weapon, where presumably nobody sees the holster, you might try a very light, effective and inexpensive pocket-carry alternative, ie:  DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly.  I have retired all of my leather pocket holsters in favor of those, although I do still carry my R9 OWB in a Bear Creek or Del Fatti on occasion.  We look forward to your range report!

One of my lightweight pocket rigs is a S&W 340pd in a Desantis Nemesis. I think you can get a Nemesis for less than $20

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »
Congratulations

If you need holsters and such. I have a few listed.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 12:16:49 AM »
.....OR, since this is a concealed carry weapon, you might also check out............

https://stickyholsters.com/sm-2-small-sticky-holster.html

https://blackhawk.com/tecgrip-pocket-holsters-ambidextrous/

Those two are usually easy to find at the local Academy or store like that.

About the only two pistols I can pocket carry are the KT P32 and the Seecamp.  Anything else--including my Remington RM380--just seem too big.  Bear in mind, my only viable method of pocket carry would be rear pocket, because I ALWAYS carry a self-defense EDC knife in my right front pocket. 

So, any pistol even slightly bigger than those is AIWB.  For me, pistols of the R9 size just disappear there...to the point where I often think I've forgotten to carry. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
We look forward to seeing a few photographs of the gal once she is in your happy hands bosco. 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 12:13:16 AM »
We look forward to seeing a few photographs of the gal once she is in your happy hands bosco.

Will do. 

Just got word that my pistol should arrive at my LGS on Friday.  But we have a 7-day wait period in RI (even for retired LEOs!), so it will be a couple more weeks before I get it home. 

Updates to follow....

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »

Just got word that my pistol should arrive at my LGS on Friday.  But we have a 7-day wait period in RI (even for retired LEOs!), so it will be a couple more weeks before I get it home. 

Where are you from in RI?...lived there for 50 years before moving to Florida.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:35 PM »

Where are you from in RI?...lived there for 50 years before moving to Florida.

Born and raised in Warwick.  Left and lived all over the country/world, but ended up back in RI.  This time in East Greenwich.