Author Topic: Range trip with K380 and others  (Read 4210 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Range trip with K380 and others
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
I packed up three pistols and headed to the range yesterday.  I had a “new to me” Rohrbaugh 380, a Boberg Platinum XR45, and a new Rock Island 22TCM.

I started with the Boberg 45.  I have been struggling with this pistol for about 4 weeks now.  I kept having intermittent failures of the tongs to pick up and feed the next round with certain ammo and with both magazines.  I actually bought a second slightly used Boberg whom the owner said was 100% with WWB with both mags.  About three weeks ago I had taken both pistols and all four magazines and ran some tests to see if I could isolate the problem.  Only one magazine of the four would work without failure in both pistols.  I got in touch with Mark at Boberg and he said that they were experiencing some magazine problems and he sent me three new ones at no charge.  Yesterday was the second range trip with the new magazines and everything ran fine with all four mags and 4 brands of ammo.  The only problem I had was getting off all seven rounds quickly and accurately as I start to lose my grip.  Now I was shooting 200 and 230 grain +P ammo and that could be part of the problem.  Arne really needs to look into extended magazines like the Springfield XDs has.  My hands are arthritic and I have the same problem with my R9 so it is mostly my physical problem.  For a 22.5 ounce 45 ACP +P, the Boberg really is a soft shooting pistol.  I think I am going to find some standard velocity 185 grain, self defense ammo to get the recoil down until extended mags are available.  This is going to be a very good gun to own.

Next up was the Rohrbaugh K380.  I put a box of Federal Hydra-Shoks through it with zero problems.  A very pleasant pistol to shoot after 70 rounds of 45 through the Boberg.  I was shooting at 50 feet and the groups were not too impressive, but the miniscule sights were not meant for that distance.  Very nice gun.

I have never been very impressed with Rock Island Armory’s quality, but my Gunsmith told me the newer guns were a lot better.  I bought the 22 TCM with a spare 9mm barrel and spring for $579 delivered and was pleasantly surprised by the quality, not a bad gun at all.  It is a 1911 style with a double stack mag that holds 17 rounds.  I put a box of 22 TCM down range with zero problems.  Very accurate, and no recoil.  A fun pistol to shoot and a lot of fire out the barrel.  Ammo is easy to find now and under $20 a box and is reloadable.  I highly recommend this pistol.

bamboobob

Re: Range trip with K380 and others
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
Great report.      all is well

"22 TCM"        and           "a lot of fire out the barrel"

both make me think     "5.7 X 28" 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I already have the Boberg XR9S & L versions but had too many .45's so did not buy he Bb 45.  May need to reconsider.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I already have the Boberg XR9S & L versions but had too many .45's so did not buy he Bb 45.  May need to reconsider.

I would not get in any rush John.  I jumped in with it quick as Arne needed to get some out and work out the bugs. 

Magazine problems are a hard thing to diagnose. The prototype mags were nearly perfect in dimension and worked fine.  The production mags were well within normal tolerances though mainly to the large side and this caused problems with some ammo but not all.  The magazines springs required a change also.

There is not much feedback on the Boberg forum as to others status and I find this puzzling.  I do not know how to take the silence (good or bad).

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.   I don't visit the BB forum often as it is to my mind a company run forum with no real personality, this in spite of my admiration for the handguns made there.  I'll take your advice and defer decision on the BB 45.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis