Author Topic: Best caliber for CCW?  (Read 23556 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Best caliber for CCW?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »
I read an article where a woman shot an intruder in the head with a .25 and he died. I think it was in FL. I'll try to find the article. I still want more than that if practical. The Kahr .380 is a decent handgun and not much (if any) larger than a lot if .32's aside from the Seecamp.

I would take the Kahr .380 over any small handgun I think

A 9mm would certainly be much more effective as long as you always have it and you can hit what your aiming at.

I guess these are elementary observations. Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:44:03 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »

A head shot is a different matter. About 30 years or so ago a childhood friend of mine was found dead in a motel room with a single shot between the eyes from a .25. His killer was never found but there was a female suspect.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »

To quote my gunsmith: "More people have been iced with a .38 Special and a 9mm than anything else." Other than a Glock 36, which is a bit too heavy for CC, I don't see many viable options for pocket carry other than 9mm.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO IF YOU HAVE A WEEK STOMACH. SERIOUSLY.

http:-REMOVED-

This is an interesting and informative (yet graphic) video done by a doctor who has worked on many patients with gunshot wounds.

Most of it isn't graphic. If you are interested but don't want to see it there are warnings of when the scene will get ugly.

More than ever, I hope I never have to use a firearm to defend my family.

Duane, feel free to remove this if you want to.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:29:09 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »

I don't have a weak stomach but I don't need to look at it, either.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
I am alright that I saw it once. I don't want to ever see something like that again.

If you are a veteran or an LE agent and have witnessed such gruesome things in life I am all the more humbled at your service to our country and communities.

If folks find it offensive I do not mind it being removed.

The data contained was very relative to the topic I feel.

It really helped me to think in a different (more serious) way about the concealed carry permit I have and the weapon I holster, not to mention what would happen to one of my children if they were  involved in an accident.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:28:04 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 11:15:25 PM »

Relevant? Yes.

Appropriate? No.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 11:27:35 PM »
I will take it off then. Sorry Tracker.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

Thanks, Josh.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
No problem. I confess I posted it with mixed emotions. I appreciate you giving your honest opinion. I think you are right, it's best.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
I did not watch it, but did not need to do so, having seen it all before (and sometimes I still awaken with mild PTS issues, not from my military experience, but from my training in a big city emergency room!).   

Nevertheless, I grew up at an age where the cowboys and detectives fired 30 rounds without loading, and the bad guys all fell dead without a groan or even with any evidence of real injury or blood.  The good guys got a "flesh wound" and were back in action in 5 minutes.  People got hit on the head with a club or a gun but and were up and at 'em in just a few minutes.  My generation had no clue what it is really like...THAT JUST ISN'T THE WAY IT WORKS! 

I personally feel a video similar to this might just be the best thing for any prospective carrier of a weapon, concealed or not.  It would work both ways inasmuch as the person would now have an understanding of the consequences of shooting a human being, but would also have a crystal clear awareness of the consequences of losing a gun gunfight through timidity.  Just sayin'
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

I don't disagree with you but there are multiple youtubes in other venues showing all of the gore anybody wants to see, including beheadings and such. It just doesn't seem appropriate to air all of this wisdom on this forum, but 'tis only my opinion.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
I like 9mm.

Most of the shootings we've had were quick stops, or DRT; every one that I can remember was low round count.

So I'm generally satisfied.

We use a round that many keyboard commandos claim is ineffective, because it has an anecdotal "history" of penetrating more than expanding. It has been very effective for us.

The truly ironic part of it is, we use the load we do because somewhere in the distant past (and I remember when) an administrator chose it because it wasn't supposed to "over penetrate."

I'm also a big .38 special fan. We still use FBI loads, with a potential switch to the NY load on the horizon. I've shot both and am comfortable with either.

Either way, I plead guilty to getting tied up in internal knots over "how many rounds is enough." It sometimes keeps me from carrying the J frame that I love as a primary.

Sometimes it doesn't.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
What ammo do you carry Douglas?

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »
147 grain Hydra Shoks.

They're subsonic, so they won't over penetrate.  ;)

That's what people said back then.

They run great in the R9!  8)