Author Topic: What can we do to help the forum stay active and interesting?  (Read 5105 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
What can we do to help the forum stay active and interesting?
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
It's a question that just came to mind. This is actually the only forum I'm on. I keep coming back because it's full of interesting fellows with great experience and good thinking skills and impeccable taste in firearms. Also a great interest in pocket size and other carry pistols. Very thought provoking place to hang out.

I confess I don't have much to offer in the way of experience and my collection is predominantly production stuff which isn't of too much interest.

I wonder what you can post of interest.

As Things are slow with Rohrbaugh I wonder if anyone so inclined to would post something of interest to them and see if we can breathe a bit of life back into the site while Remington is scratching its proverbial backside and kinda poke at the embers a bit.

Have you shot your R9? Post pics and target results.

Have you shot another gun recently? Post your thoughts.

Have you purchased a new gun? Fire it and give a review like cargaritaville.

Have you pulled some cool stuff out of the safe recently? Post pics like Richard and MRC.

Someone got a question. Reply with your opinions like tracker of backup9. They are valuable.

Have you read or written (not many sites have writers posting) a good article lately? Post the link.

Share the forum link with a buddy.

The worst that can happen is that you post a dud and it's not of too much interest, but who cares? Maybe it will be and you help fire things up a bit.

Let's see if we can get the total number of visitors per day up there closer to 85.

This is just an encouragement to get on and post a bit more while things are a bit slower. This is a great site thanks to all of you guys posting and helping and thinking out loud. Keep this cool place a cool place. Thanks for all of the help you have given to me and thanks for making an interesting forum Duane.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:13:15 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: What can we do to help the forum stay active and interesting?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
JoshA, good idea.  Family visiting for the weekend, but I'll try to post some pics.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
Merge it with the Seecamp forum - Boberg should do the same

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

If possible, I prefer to keep our forum intact. If there is any merger of sorts I would lose interest quickly.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
I agree with Tracker.  Each of those forums has a completely different personality.  Boberg is factory supported and mostly, IMO,  a marketing tool.---I rarely visit it anymore although I have two Bb's that I really like (an XR9S and and L).  Seecamp is a lot of fun and very informative, but the personality overall is different in ways difficult to describe....a little more judgemental and "in your face"?    There are few on that forum that will praise the R9.  I would vote to keep this one if possible.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »

If possible, I prefer to keep our forum intact. If there is any merger of sorts I would lose interest quickly.

All forums pick up a clique, or personality. The Seecamp group is 80% about holsters, safe queens, general BS, and 20% about the gun and ammo. But, I think a lot of seecamp owners have R9s.

As far as a merger - it would just be a sub-section of another forum. Just a matter of available traffic. Very few gun forums have major traffic.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
I understand the sub-section and all of that business; it's just that I wouldn't have any interest in it on a catch all forum. The Seecamp and Boberg forums, even as a sub-set hold absolutely no appeal to me or some others here. Even though I own many gun products of different manufacturers I rarely ever visit their forums. There is just a lot of drivel on most of them that quickly prompts the bye-bye button.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:56:54 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
So I think most folks on here don't want to see the forum as a part of another forum.

IMO if we want to continue to see it be LARGELY what it has been then the members have to keep posting things of relevance to them.

With the removal of a lot of things to talk about like new products and what Maria and Karl and Eric are saying and doing we will need to try to fill in the blanks while Duane is trying to figure out the best possible way to steer the ship.

If we just sit back and don't keep posting things of relevance then things will come to a grinding halt. Getting moved off of a grinding halt is difficult. It much easier to keep paddling while we have a bit of forward momentum IMO. 

So there is $.02 worth.

I guess in the end what will happen will happen. The forum is probably already a lot different than 1 year ago. I know it has changed a lot in the last 9 months or so.

I'm not saying it has changed for the better, but I am thinking there could still be good days ahead with the chemistry you fellows have on here and Duane at the helm.

Just the thoughts of a person interested in being able to continue to chat with some class acts and a few odd balls. And yes, I already know I'm one of the oddballs tracker : )
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:54:34 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

That is one of the many good things about this forum. Duane has a wide tolerance net as long as it stays within the bounds of propriety. There is room for odd balls, even balls, straight balls, and curve balls. The variety of contributors and mutual respect have contributed to the unique cachet here that is lacking in some other forums.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
Well in any case, I am sure this forum has a treasure trove of R9 answers in it's archives

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »
I'd love to see this forum continue.

I would not like to see it merge with others, most particularly Boberg.

I've seen, a couple of times at that forum, a real nastiness, particularly directed at Rohrbaugh.

No thank you.

I'm in an odd place with my R9: It's been perfect. I have spare recoil springs.

EDITED TO ADD: I just ordered some spare trigger springs, so I'm feeling quite a bit better about self-sustaining operability with my R9!

But, I think about the idea that I have no factory support whatsoever.

Of course, on the street, one has none either. If the gun works when you holster it up, you expect it to work when you need it. But it does feel odd to me to carry a gun that I know is an orphan. I'm not sure why. I can't ask for warranty repair in the middle of a robbery on the 2 train...

..but I still think about it.

Maybe the forum will become discussions about the real world use of the R9?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:41:25 PM by Douglas »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
I saw this this morning and it made me think of a lot of things. One of which was the forum delima..

For every difficult, intricate, complex, perplexing problem there is a simple, elegant, obvious, clear, direct, wrong answer.

8)

John Stuart Mill

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
What you've stated, Douglas, is exactly the same situation and query that each of us faces the moment we walk out of any completely safe environment...Do I have what I need, plus back-up, plus training, with me to return me and mine to a safe environment?
Any mechanical device can fail...Any of us can be overpowered by enough force...Any of us can be rescued from disaster by pure luck.  (The back-up and training put us in a better position to receive pure luck).
As you said..."Warranty at the 2am train robbery" ain't gonna happen.  BUT....There are so many friendly folks on this forum who are not only experienced in just about every form of problem there could be with these "pups" and every other firearm made, that you will never want for assistance.  We just need to ask for advice here instead of Eric or Carl.  I'm sure there will be plenty of valid information to solve the problem.  Many other manufacturers have been down this same road of "Tried hard...but didn't finish."
Other than the fact that we all will miss Maria, Carl and Eric, the only REAL, concrete difference is there is no financial "support" in the way of good will service. 
In return for that slight negative, you now have a relatively rare and finely made firearm that was designed and built by people who cared about their customers and products.  A rare thing in today's world.  Treasure the concept...it may be just about the last time you will see it in firearms.

Nothing is forever...and forever is nothing...it does not exist.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
+1
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
The attraction of the Forum for me has been the civility and knowledge of its members. Duane has done an enormous service to us all by keeping it that way.  I have stopped frequenting other forums, except for occasional visits, due to the boring drivel of "kounter kommando" types who always seem to show up on them.  Life is too short to bother oneself with boring people.  For the past ten years on this forum I have learned much, perhaps contributed a little, and greatly enjoyed being a member. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"