Author Topic: To owners of  Seecamp .380 and R9  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Kayaker

To owners of  Seecamp .380 and R9
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »
I would like some help, recognizing that I am a frequent carrier and infrequent shooter.  I am used to shooting a Seecamp .32 and an HK P7M8.  I do not find the  Seecamp .32 particularly difficult to shoot reliably.

How do the Seecamp .380 and the R9 compare as far as recoil?  How easy is it get a second or third shot off?  Time constraints and other interests do not allow me to go the range very often, yet I would like to get something with a little more oomph than my.32, yet still be able to do pocket carry.

Thanks for any help!

ccoorreeyy

Re: To owners of  Seecamp .380 and R9
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
I have both. I can comfortably shoot 60 rounds through a R9 at the range.  With the seecamp 380 after 12 or so I'm done.  That being said, the seecamp is SO easy to have on you all the time. The r9 is to though. Back to the question I find second shots with the r9 faster.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
Kayaker.  Welcome to the Forum.  I have a Seecamp .32 and the R9s.  The recoil of the R9 is considerably more than the Seecamp .32, but by no means unbearable, also no problems getting off multible shots.  It, to me, is enjoyable to shoot, as I shoot a Ruger .454 Alaskan often and usually a box of 50 300 gr. at a time.

As for the R9, it is meant to be shot infrequently and carried alot.  Use the recommended ammo on this Forum and you'll save yourself much grief, as the R9 is a thoroughbred and should be fed the best.  Some R9s need a special diet.

I started with Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips and have never looked back.  Never an issue.  They are now hard to find, but if you look long enough, you'll find them.  

Others like Gold Dots 115 gr. and 124 gr, Golden Sabres 115, 124, and 147 gr., Federal Hydrashocks.  Winchester white box works for some.  

Good luck in your quest for the R9.  A work of art, it is.  Should you get one, you'll be a proud owner.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kinoz

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
If you want oomph, go with the R9.  I find the .380 has much more snap than the R9 and a band-aid is needed if I'm shooting more than 10 or 12 rounds.

Also, the R9 is very accurate shooting either one or two-handed.  It seems I'm more accurate with one hand on the Seecamp .380, probably due to its size.  R9 is also more accurate at greater distances (for me).

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
Kayaker. welcome. I do not have a Seecamp .380, but can tell you the R9 is a fine shooting pocket pistol and you won't be dissappointed with it.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
I can shoot a LOT more through my R9S in one session, than I can with my LWS380.  I have shot 75 rounds in my R9S at one time, and my hand did not hurt near what it did after 25 rounds through the LWS380.  

That said, neither are "range guns", so it's not really an issue.  Verify reliability with your intended ammo, and fire a few rounds occasionally to maintain proficiency (and to "exercise" the gun), and either should serve you well.  

The main deciding factor between the two for me is the size.  The R9S is noticeably larger (and heavier) than the Seecamp.  If my pockets allow the carry of the R9S with suitable discretion, it is my choice because it is easier to shoot, more powerful, etc.  However, a lot of times the R9S is just a bit too big for my criteria, so the Seecamp gets the nod.

If you're near NW Alabama, you are welcome to shoot either of mine, just provide the ammo.  

As a side note, I got the LWS380 because I wanted it, and carry it because it is slightly more powerful IMO than the LWS32.  However, if I were doing it over again, I would probably skip the 380 and stick with my longtime LWS32.  Ammo is cheaper and easier to find, recoil is a lot less, I feel it places less stress on the package, and the guns themselves are a lot easier to find and MUCH less expensive.  I personally have NO reservations of using my LWS32 for my intended categories (LEO backup and occasional off-duty).

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:49:44 PM by deercop »

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
The R9 more evenly distributes the recoil impulse over the larger backstrap area.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
Kayaker:

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

If this is of any assistance, the Seecamp LWS380 is a straight-blowback design while the Rohrbaugh R9 employs a locked-breech design. Both are superb pocket pistols, but a locked-breech mechanism helps to reduce felt recoil. As a result, the felt recoil of the LWS380 may be more than that of the R9 despite the difference in calibers -- .380 ACP [sometimes known as 9mm Kurz] vs. 9mm Parabellum.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Kayaker

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
Thanks to all for the useful info.! Sounds like I should start buying puppy chow.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
Good decision.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
Kayaker, welcome to the forum, sound decision. I can help you get a R9s in short order, please PM me. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
Kayaker,

Welcome.  You will not regret the purchase of an R9 and I endorse Tom Watson for this purpose.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson