Author Topic: bullet weight question  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Frogbern

Re: bullet weight question
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »
I took a dozen Black Talons to the range and they functioned perfectly.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Excellent.  Good infomation.  Do let us know when you get 50 rounds of the Black Talons shot, without incident, as I let that be the number for reliable ammo.  I do know they're expensive.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Frogbern

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
Expensive alright,  I don't have or could not find another 40,sorry
Bernie

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »
If you're interested, there's some on Gun Broker, starting bids $54 & $55, boxes of 20, 147 gr.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147365008

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147365008  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:58 PM »
For a round that is being sold as a Collectors item, it would seem foolish to plan on doing a lot of reliability testing to make it a carry round.
 It was removed from public sales in 1993 and pulled from the market completely in 2000.
  You would be better off testing the “Ranger SXT” ammunition by Winchester which is very similar to the Black Talon without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet, and easy to find at a reasonable price.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »

I agree with you, John.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
John and tracker.  I agree with the both of you.  Just giving Bernie some info on where to find the Black Talons.  I still like the information, that they shot well, and good to know that the Winchester Ranger SXT is similiar.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:51:34 AM by kjtrains »

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
The "modern" version of the Black Talon:  Winchester RA9T 147 gr Ranger Talon.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/s/c/scgunguy/rangerlist.htm

I have bought from this source before, no problems and quick shipping.  

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
A box of Black Talon as a collector's item makes sense to me. There are cartridge collectors out there and I am sure many of you have seen some of the premium prices placed upon old/rare ammo.

However, shooting it makes no sense to me, given its cost. Further, (God forbid), you actually used it against a bad guy, that would be a prosecuting attorney's dream come true.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frogbern

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »
New guys,
Here's another welcome to the Rohrbaugh forum.  Lots of good information and good people here!

I, too, have fired 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo from my R9s (very early build, but with updated recoil and mag springs.)
Basically, I stick with the 124 and 115 grain ammo - preferably in Speer GDHP.  Main reason is I feel the R9 barrel length is pretty short to stabilize the longer, heavier 147 grain load.  I actually measured the rifling twist in my barrel, ran the Greenhill formula (from the NRA Firearms Fact Book), and found the 147 grain bullet should stabilize IF the barrel were long enough to spin the projectile up!

Otherwise, I agree with Richard:  A big heavy rock does more damage than a little rock.

Steve