Author Topic: Sad day at the range.....twice  (Read 9405 times)

Offline 9mm@FortHood

Sad day at the range.....twice
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
I had a sad day at the range today, not once, but twice.

First the back story.  About 10 days ago I was at the range and had several FTF problems.  It was always with the 2nd round when I was doing the 6 + 1.  I loaded up 6 rounds, inserted the mag and then racked the number 6 round.  Removed the mag and reloaded the 6th round and inserted the mag again.  After that happened 3 out of 4 times (gun came with 3 and earlier I bought a black one and 4 springs from Maria), I called it a day.  I went home and called Maria. I explained to her what happened and she said she would speak with Mr. R and call me back.  So about 10 minutes later Maria called back and was telling me about spring rates on new mags and told me to load the mags with 6 rounds and let them sit for a week to let the springs adjust to the tension (or words to that effect).  So much for the back story.

Today (10 days after loading the mags) I hit the range and fired the loaded 6 round mags without a problem.  Then I loaded 2 more mags (with 6, did the 5 +1 for shooting).  I did not have a single problem with any of the 6 “second rounds”.  What did happen on the last round of mag #6 was a FTE.  After several attempts of racking the slide, the round would not eject.  It seemed stuck to the ejector.  I grabbed a cleaning rod extension, managed to hold the slide open with one hand and used the rod to remove the casing.  I was going to open the gun, but was unable to get it to open.  Studying it, I realized that the guide rod had left the gun.  Luckily I found it downrange about 4 yards out.  I could not do jack with the gun at the range so I went home.  So sad…..

Once home, I was able open the gun up on the second attempt only to have the recoil  assembly come out disassembled.  I read here on the forum where a member stated something about the disc not being all the way screwed on; he was able to get about another half turn to tighten it up.  Hmmmm, what if I reassembled it all??  So I gave it a try, it wasn’t that hard.  Now that it was assembled, what next?  Back to the range I went.  The employee there was terrific about the whole situation – I had explained my predicament to her before I left the 1st time, so she didn’t charge me another range fee.  I loaded up two more mags (6rds each).  First one not a problem, the second one had a FTE, racking it took care of it, but after the mag was empty, I noticed the guide rod had once again worked its way loose.  So so sad…..

Guess who is calling Maria on Tuesday to make shipping arrangements.  While it is there, I might as well have them check it out and get the warranty transferred to me as the second owner.  Back to toting the 92FS – that thing is heavy and bulky in comparison, lol.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Sad day at the range.....twice
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
FortHood, sorry to hear about the problems. :(

Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend knowing that Rohrbaugh will get it working.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Roger. Sorry too, to hear of the Stealth's problems.  As John says, Rohrbaugh will take care of the problem, so do enjoy the weekend.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Thank you Yankee, better to find those things at the range than "out in the field".

Is amended to add:  And a great weekend to you too.  Sorry for missing that the first time around, the wife went strolling through the living room with nothing more than a smile on ;)

Roger
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:18:50 PM by 9mm@FortHood »

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
Roger. Sorry too, to hear of the Stealth's problems.  As John says, Rohrbaugh will take care of the problem, so do enjoy the weekend.

And thank you kj, I've gotten so used to carrying it.  I'll feel naked without it...  Here is wishing you a great weekend also.

Roger

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:21:39 AM »
Hopefully they will ship you a new recoil assembly so you don't have to ship your gun.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
That would be nice, but since I'm not the original owner...  :(  I know about how many rounds I've put through it, but I don't know about the previous owner.  Maybe an inspection/overhaul is in order.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
9MM,

I know you will have some separation anxiety over sending you pup off to the shop. Hopefully it will be a quick turn around for you. I would like to know if the tell you all that they do to your pistol? Also, hopefully a very positive range report from you upon its return.

Good luck hiding that 92FS!

Robar 233

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Hi Robar233,

The separation anxiety won't be much of a problem.  I spent quite a few months debating/deciding on the R9 purchase.  A week or two without it will be a piece of cake. 

I'm hoping that they will tell me what needed to be done, if anything - besides the recoil assembly.

My main concern when I get it back will be to figure out a way to feed the 6+1 without it jamming (FTFeed).  I've read about an alternate way here and I will try a way where I load one round, insert the mag, rack it and then load the mag with 6.  I'll see how that will work.

As for hiding the 92FS, it is a little big for the front pocket...  ;D

9mm@FH

9MM,

I know you will have some separation anxiety over sending you pup off to the shop. Hopefully it will be a quick turn around for you. I would like to know if the tell you all that they do to your pistol? Also, hopefully a very positive range report from you upon its return.

Good luck hiding that 92FS!

Robar 233

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
9mm@FortHood, thank you for your service and sorry about the R9 problem.  My first R9 worked great out of the box after the initial lube, but my upgrade to a Covert was, for a while, a disaster due to an out of spec firing pin retainer that slowed slide action when it wiggled to the side.  Once Karl fixed it up, it has been entirely trustworthy.  Hang in there....it's worth it!  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
John, Thank you and thank you.  I'm quite sure the R9 will ultimately work right and I can live with what it takes to get it there (if it were my only gun that might be a different story).  I really like its design - seeing where we are at, who doesn't like it?  :D    Good to hear that the Covert is working out for you.  And thank you again  :)  Roger

9mm@FortHood, thank you for your service and sorry about the R9 problem.  My first R9 worked great out of the box after the initial lube, but my upgrade to a Covert was, for a while, a disaster due to an out of spec firing pin retainer that slowed slide action when it wiggled to the side.  Once Karl fixed it up, it has been entirely trustworthy.  Hang in there....it's worth it!  John

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
I spoke with Maria and they are sending me a recoil assembly and we will be going from there to see if my FTFeed (6 + 1) is resolved.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
While awaiting the new recoil assembly, check out the firing pin retainer.  If it wiggles and moves when gently manipulated with a small screwdriver, that may be your problem.  I know of one case other than mine, but suspect there may have been others.  The top picture shows it slanted to one side.  The bottom view is in normal position.  When out of speck, it rubs the inside of the slide, slows slide recoil and you get feeding and perhaps extraction issues.

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you for the tip re: firing pin retainer and the pictures - definitely made it easy to locate.  I just got done checking it out.  There is no play whatsoever that I can feel or see.  Another thing eliminated :) 

Roger

While awaiting the new recoil assembly, check out the firing pin retainer.  If it wiggles and moves when gently manipulated with a small screwdriver, that may be your problem.  I know of one case other than mine, but suspect there may have been others.  The top picture shows it slanted to one side.  The bottom view is in normal position.  When out of speck, it rubs the inside of the slide, slows slide recoil and you get feeding and perhaps extraction issues.