Author Topic: grip tape on front strap  (Read 15607 times)

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
grip tape on front strap
« on: February 12, 2005, 08:19:29 AM »
I've been away from the Forum for awhile (four hurricanes in SW Fla. have a way of turning life upside down), so I don't know if this topic has been broached.

When I shoot my R9s, the recoil tends to be up and to the right, sometimes painfully raking the trigger guard against my trigger finger.  Now, I know this is an "operator" problem since it doesn't happen all the time, but I eliminated it by applying a strip of skateboard tape to the front strap.  It's amazing how this stuff improves the "gripability" of the gun and vitually eliminates my gun's tendency to twist during recoil.  And since it's on the front strap it doesn't cause any hangups during the draw (in fact, it helps because it creates a tacky surface to grab).

Anyone else try this?

Musician

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: grip tape on front strap
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 06:36:39 PM »
I have tried skateboard tape on the frontstrap of my 1911.  I found that it did help my grip.  I cut the piece wide enough to fit underneath each grip panel to hold it in place, but not wide enough to that there was anything extending over the holes in the frame on the sides of the magazine well.

I took it off when my law school ring wore a hole in it, and haven't put a new piece back on, although I might.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
grip tape on front strap
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 09:06:57 PM »
>>This sounds like a great idea to at least try out.  Likewise my big fat trigger finger gets whacked with each shot...maybe this is something the boys at the factory should look at...???...TW<<

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:58:03 PM »
Skateboard tape today reminds me of sandpaper. Somewhere back in 1983-85, when skateboarding enjoyed a comeback, I saw some tape that was sold in a sheet large enough to cover the entire deck of a skateboard that was sort of spongy with a pebble finish. Does anyone know if something like that is sold today?

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 08:27:39 AM »
Hi, GeorgeH--

I have found the stuff you describe in a hardware store.  It's sold as boat deck or step anti-slip material.  I've not seen sheets, but cut-to-length rolls in a variety of widths from 1" to 6".  The stuff I've seen is gray and is not as sandpapery as the black skateboard tape, and is thicker.

Musician

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:31:53 PM »
Hi Folks,

Try www.mcmaster.com.

Not looked lately but a few years ago I found some there.  They have everything.  Can make credit card orders on line.  Almost everything is next day delivery without the extra charge.

Happy hunting.

Craig T.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »
Thank's for the info.

I've walked (barefoot) on boat anti-skid tape, but I never actually "looked" at it. Now, I need to check this stuff out.

Another idea, well actually an old idea, 20 years ago I used to wrap rubber bands around the stock of a handgun to give me greater control. Before I gave up on rubber bands, I started to wrap tape around them as well. But the tape wasn't the normal stuff that you would usually use. This tape sticks only to itself. In a boat store it is typically white and called "rigger's tape." In an auto parts store it typically balck and sold in the wiring deptment. In boating it is used to wrap turnbuckles. In a car it is used to tape a wiring harness.

The problem with the rubber band/tape wrap is that you have to redo it frequently but it works great.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 11:05:13 PM »
The tape I bought was sold by a bicycle shop, in all different colors (I went with a gray/black).  I bought a 10 foot roll, more than I will ever likely use for shooting.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 12:02:15 AM »
I'm beginning to get interested in trying out some anti-skid/skateboard tape.

This thread reminded me of a "tape" that I saw used on RV's. It is a foam like tape, that is smooth, and not sticky to the touch. The way you apply it is to wrap it around whatever and then heat it with a hair dryer. I saw it used in an RV to insulate either the water or propane line to keep condensation from forming.

This thread has got me thinking.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 06:46:18 PM »
Has anyone thought of taking the R9 to a "good" gunsmith and having the front strap stipled?    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
You folks inspired me to try this on my Colt 380 Pony Pocketlite.  It has always twisted quite a bit when fired, especially when I get a little sweaty.  I put a strip of some anti-skid tape (don’t know where it came from) on the front strap and back strap.  Went to the range today and it was like a completely different gun.  Stayed put in my hand.  Actually a lot more fun to shoot now.  I think I will try removing the back strap tape and see how well it does with tape just on the front strap.  

Thanks for the inspiration.

Of course the Colt is just a poor substitute for the R9 until mine arrives.

Craig T.

Offline itguy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »
Can someone provide a photo of successful front/rear strap modification with tape or otherwise?

This would be much appreciated! :)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 10:03:57 AM »
Yes, a picture would be greatly appreciated.  The pistol grip does seem just a little slippery.

Now to  find some skateboard tape.  I hope it is more common that Mobil 1 0W-30.

Bill

Offline Tse_Gee_La

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »
I used to put skateboard tape on my 1911 until I had it checkered.  It worked so well I put it on the back of a HK P7M8 and I bought the kit for Glocks.  I also used hocky stick tape.  It is cheap and easy, but you do have to replace it every once in a while.  I tried the softer rubber tape but never liked it as much as the grip tape.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 01:42:12 AM by Tse_Gee_La »

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 11:47:33 PM »
The other day I bought skateboard tape strips at the local K-Mart.  The only color they had was "clear", but it sure looks white on the gun.  The strips were just the right width for the R9S.  I applied the tape to both front & backstraps.  The stuff feels like sandpaper.

At my range session today, I found the tape really helped keep the gun from squirming in my hand.  I was a little concerned about the tape being too aggressive, but there was no problem.  In fact, I noticed that my trigger finger didn't get irritated at all this time.  (First couple of times out, I got a little blister.)  I think I'll get some black tape tomorrow.

BTW:  My owners manual recommends replacement of the recoil spring at 250 rounds.  At 200 rounds the original spring is almost two full coils shorter than a new one, so I replaced it a little early.