Author Topic: Welcome to our newest Forum -- for the R-380  (Read 28102 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Re: Welcome to our newest Forum -- for the R-380
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
this locked breech 380 sounds like a perfect replacement for my colt pony 380.  the colt 380 was really pleasant to shoot.  the 380 will not wear down the pistol down like a 9mm.  with the lower recoil and less stress on the pistol translates to increased range time practicing.  since the 380 and 9mm are the same overall one could practice with the 380 and carry the 9.  

>>Hi Kn308...

I have and enjoy a couple Colt Mustangs, but I have yet to see and shoot a Pony.  Have you shot a Mustang before...?... and if so do you prefer the firing cycle of the Pony...?...and if so - please explain...?...TW<<

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
I carried the colt 380 government which was the full size version.  The 380 government trigger was nice, very easy to shoot and suprisingly accurate.  What I did not like about the 380 government was the safety could be engaged and the slide would still operate.  Major learning curve when compared to the 45 government I carried on duty.  Carried the 380 governemnt in a FIST leather-kydex hybrid paddle holster with a thumb snap that blocked the cocked hammer.  The pony takes practice but was easier to learn and control than a J frame smith and wesson revolver.  Never was able to shoot the pony as fast or as accurately as the government.  The pony was a no fuss pull and shoot from inside the pocket carry system. I passed on the mustang because I will not carry a single action semi-auto in a pocket with or without a holster.  I now carry a double action semi-auto on duty so I retired the governemnt 380 and sold the pony.  I now carry a sig 380.  Been looking for a good lock breech 380 ever since I made the mistake of selling the pony.  The lock breech R-380  looks like what I have been searching for.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:36 PM »
km308:

Welcome to the Forum!  I suspect that if TW has anything to say about it, the R380s will be shipping sooner rather than later.   8)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:54:35 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 02:12:53 AM »
Welcome KN308

I also have the gov 380 - very accurate even though I haven't fired it for years.  Only 380 I carry is a Seecamp - now that is an experience to shoot well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:14:23 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Welcome to our newest Forum -- for the R-380
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 01:04:07 AM »
>>I also have a couple Goverment .380s...one a Pocketlite and the other all steel and my favorite.  These are my favorite small Colts encountered thus far...very easy to shoot accurately.  Of couse then you have the old Colt Pocket Nines - which due to the coverage of this gun by a couple folks on this forum...I now own two...one stock, one customized by C&S.  Even though I love collect and shoot various .380s for fun, I feel more comfortable carrying something like a 9mm...and my Pocket Nines serve as alternets to my R9 depending on the day, dress, and mood.

And yes I AM hoping for my R-.380 to be shipped sooner than later...!...and you guys will be the first to hear all about it when I do...!...TW<<
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:06:00 AM by TW »

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »
I also own several Colt Mustangs, Ponies, and a couple of Pocket Nines. As far as the Pony is concerned, it is a fine carry piece but the trigger leaves a great deal to be desired. But with a little work, they are some fine Guns that I for one wish that Colt had not abandoned. Same goes for the Pocket Nine, which was my constant companion for many years until I picked up a R9 that is. Rough Double action pull on the Colts, but with a little elbow grease, are sweet.
But my favorite of the little colts, is still the Mustang Pocket lite. Reliable and easy to carry, as long as you are familiar with the single action manual of arms that is.
True, these little Colts were not the Biggest, or the Baddest on the Block, but when the s#*t hit's the fan, they always work. Just not as well as a R9  ;)
Later, Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Welcome to our newest Forum -- for the R-380
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
>>Mshechte...

Sounds like you and I have the same disease when it comes to those out-of-production little Colt Pistols.  

Just curious...why is the Mustang Pocket Lite your favorite vs. a regular Mustang...?...just the weight factor, and if so do you know the weight of the Mustang Lite with a full mag...?...TW<<

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
Hey TW, The Mustang Pocket lite that I have mentioned is my favorite among my little Colt's for many reasons. First off, it was a gift from my Dad the year before he passed in 1987, so that makes it priceless to me. Also, I have had some work done to it i.e. relaiability package done by Scott McDougall some time ago, dehorning, dovetailed nite sites, etc.etc. One of my Pocket Nines got the same treatment as well. I don't know if you have ever seen any of Scott McD's work before (he passed a few years back as well), but the man was a artist when it came to messaging the alloy frame Colt. I don't know the wieght between the two right off the top of my head, but I will weigh 'em up and get back with you.
Happy Easter, Mark

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »
OK TW, We should probably take this thread over to the other Gun section as I could talk about these little Colt's all day.
I have those weights for you, but unfortunatly I do not have any .380 ACP Rounds on hand to give you loaded weights.
So here goes:
Mustang (Steel Frame) 18.75 oz
Mustang Pocket lite (Alloy Frame) 12.5 oz
and just for comparison's sake...
Government 380 21.75 oz
Pocket Nine 15 oz
Pony 13 oz.
Please note that the weights given are with empty magazine in place.
I hope this helps. Quite a difference, Huh?
Later, Mark

Offline 75scout

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
So whats the ship date on the R380?  I'm starting to save for one now and will be selling a Kahr K40 Covert to do a little over half of the funding.  I keep going back and forth between the R380 and the R9.  The R380 will have less recoil, faster followup shots, recoils spring will last longer and it will be much more likely to hold up to many rounds.  I like to shoot all my guns regularly, especially the ones I trust my life to. The R9 does have the power advantage though.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
The R 380 should be ready to ship in July. I have some on order.  Tom
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:21:48 AM by theirishguard »
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline 75scout

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
How early do I need to place my order if I want one by late November/early December?  Will they all have sights or will some be sightless?

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
there was another post that indicated the production date was not firm.  Add to the unknow production date another post that indicated 1,000 have already been sold and I would guess delivery by November 2007 if you ordered one in December 2006  ???
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:11:28 PM by kn308 »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
It will be just like the standard R9s, with sights, only in .380acp. If you want one please PM me.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 01:55:05 PM »
Will it handle +P's?  Ya think?