Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Rohrbaugh R9 (all variations)

Recommended Ammo

<< < (2/2)

tracker:
The main reservation about using a 147 gr. in a 2.9 inch barrel is that the velocity is less than a 115 gr or 124 gr; thus not providing as much penetration and expansion. Eric initially recommended 115 gr Silvertips.

ECR:
I now carry Gold Dot 124 JHP when I have my pup with me.

Cheers!

Eric R.

PsychoSword:
The only ammo I've ever carried and/or shot in an R9 is WWB 115gr. and Speer Gold Dots 124gr. Never a hiccup with either.

I don't think R9's are super picky with ammo though, unlike Seecamps and guns like that. As long as you feed them decent quality brass or nickle case and not off brands.

Douglas:
147gr. will always provide better penetration.

When I hired on, they chose 147 gr. because it was subsonic, so they reasoned that it would not over-penetrate.

WRONGO!

Decades later, we understand that the 147 is THE penetrator of the 9mm rounds. Why? Momentum.

After that, in the glossy magazines, the 9mm 147gr became the "over-penetrator". Any of you remember reading all those glossy gun magazines?

Then they learned how to build bullets.

Today? Fact is, as with every other caliber, heavier is better. The light-weight-high-speed rounds have fallen by the wayside on the street.

9mm? Pick a proven 147gr load.

The old 115 +P+? Sub-optimal, but if you do your job you will be fine. And that's the point. "WHAT" you shoot is less important than "HOW" you shoot.

My current recommendation? Federal 147 gr HST.

Works like a charm in the pup, and has a great record on the street.

tracker:
More thoughts on bullet weight: https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/bullet-weight-is-bigger-really-better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version