Author Topic: Look What's For Sale on GunBroker!  (Read 4111 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
Re: Look What's For Sale on GunBroker!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:31:15 AM »
Yes, indeed!
It is exciting!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »
Oh, that looks awesome.

Wonder how the sale will go.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:59:35 PM »
Best of The Best these were.

Everything on those 16 pistols were hand-picked for each gun.

Starting at $1,000 with a bid already. I, along with many others, will be watching this sale!

Good Luck to the Seller and Congratulations to the new owner of a piece of firearm history!

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 10:27:54 PM »
I can’t get a response if those are scratches around the 3 of 16.  I’ve requested about three times; no response.

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
If an answer comes, I will post.
“mint” is a strong term.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »
The 5th pic is a closeup of the area in question….I don’t really detect any scratches.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
I’ve looked at the two photos of the area for quite a while.  I would just like a definitive answer on which one illustrates the condition. 

We have all seen those types of marks that can show-up or disappear, depending on light reflection.

Eric once said, to the effect,- A gun with a history is interesting in its own right.  I’ve learned from that and have come to appreciate such fine examples.

But the difference in value is thousands.

It is also a matter of service.  If someone doesn’t care to assist before a transaction, then they certainly will be of no help afterward, if there is a problem.

There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the silence.  There are still many days before it is serious auction, and plenty of time for clarification.  I will post any response.

I will also not bid, so as to not influence other bidders to my benefit.

Good luck, all!

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »
     I imagine minor imperfections are, “touched up, even at a gun factory.  So maybe it shouldn’t be such a big deal.

I will attempt that argument next time I negotiate on a “perfect” or “mint” gun.  :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 06:11:55 PM »
This ad read "excellent condition." It certainly looks that way to me. The dialogue below that said mint condition might be in question but difficult to see from the photos.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:18:18 PM by tracker »

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »
Beautiful gun!

All I asked for was a clarification, prompted by the adjective, “mint”, with three separate requests, which might still come…days later.

NRA MODERN GUN CONDITION STANDARDS:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
PERFECT: In New condition in every respect.  (Jim's note - in my experience, many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).
EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.
NRA ANTIQUE FIREARM CONDITIONS STANDARDS:

FACTORY NEW: All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.
EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
FINE: All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
VERY GOOD: All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.
GOOD: Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or re-blued; principal letters, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.
POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 05:43:27 AM »
Good Morning Gentlemen,

Looking at photographs numbers 1, 2 & 5, here is what I'm seeing. In #1, it gets our attention. Zoom in on #2, blurry but the area is visible, and those "marks of consideration" are not evident. Photograph #5, although slightly darker, shows no marks either. I feel those "marks" are simply dust particles (lint). I have photographed many things close up and dust is always an issue. This seller only has 30 transactions and it appears he is still, like me, dealing with how to make close-up photographs look better without lint hanging around. Please make your own decision on this rare R9, but, in my opinion, it is fine and simply some lint on the frame during his photo session. Again, look at #5 and bid according to your heart. There are truly only 16 of those on this Earth. Although Karl and I thought about making two additional Stealth Elite Premiums, one for each of us, that would have been a "behind the scenes" manufacture and, after discussing it, we felt it was not proper, hence those two extras were decidedly never made.

I hope my chiming in here and voicing what I see as the maker of this gun helps your decision. If I were looking to get one, I myself would purchase this one. As many folks have mentioned in other posts: You don't see these come up on auction very often.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 05:47:40 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 07:07:26 AM »
It is odd that the background of picture 1 and 5 appear to be different (2 different backgrounds throughout the photos).  I wonder if there is any chance that they were taken at different times during ownership of the pistol.  Or perhaps maybe the seller was simply struggling to get good photos as Karl suggested. I agree with some others that a definitive reply from the seller would be nice and the only way to know for sure the condition of the area in question.  The seller appears to have several other items for sale currently so I would think they are fairly active on gunbroker and would reply to an inquiry.

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:57 AM »
I would’ve attempted to buy that gun in a heartbeat had I not made myself inadvertently ineligible. 

I would’ve tried to buy it even if he would’ve wrote back,  “yeah, the finish has big gashes in it!”

It will be the sweetest carry gun in the world for some lucky person.  Damn it!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 01:53:19 PM »
 An expansion of the first frame clearly shows some fine scratches on the frame and trigger guard. This would be consistent with holster wear as a cause. Also, it appears that it has been carried because a holster is included in the sale. If that is the case it is definitely not mint condition.