Author Topic: Pocket holsters  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Verdugoman

• The Constitution, Words to live by!
Pocket holsters
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
  What is the advantage of a Split front pocket holster over the the regular wing type? I am trying to make up my mind , before I part with the Money :o

Offline dano

• Expert
Re: Pocket holsters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
You can use the Split for the front or rear pocket. I have one and carry it in the rear pocket. Pic are available in the holster section. Hope it helps.  :)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
It is also thinner.  It does not have an extra flap of leather sew on to it.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
Holsters holsters holsters!

I used many over the years. I have tried cheap ones I have tried expensive ones. I have custom designed one that works for me.

Robert Locke of Meco holsters has taken my template of my perfect pocket holster and made it reality.

My suggestion is to try as many off the shelf holsters as you can. From there design one that works best for you. Robert can make your dreams come true. If you can make a template and give him a basic design, he can custome make one for you.

I do not use a split holster, it does not fit my pocket well.

Robert has made a half back holster that I can wear in almost  all the pants, jeans and shorts I wear.

Trust me he will exceed your expectation.

What works for one may not work for another.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:55:29 PM by wolverine_450 »

Offline jensenranch

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
I like the HiddenHolster, as well as Recluse.  Was looking at Nemesis from DeSantis.  They also have the SuperFly in stickier fabric with removable "screen"  From Crystal at DeSantis, that model for R9 is #M44BJG2Z0, which is same for NAA Guardian .380 & Beretta .32 Tomcat.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »
jensenranch,
  Welcome to the group, post often.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
jensenranch.  Welcome to the Forum from me as well.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jensenranch

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
Thanks.  Yankee2500, I, too am a former artilleryman.  Most of my cannons came to me out the back of a C-130, or C-141

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
Holster.......you can end up with a box of useless ones, I guess that is why you are asking questions about where to begin.

It is all about application and like stated above if you can design your own, MECO can make it.

I would however stay away from the Uncle Mikes/ De Santis Nemisis type, while they would appear to work well, they seem to only work well when not needed as a holster but rather a place to store the pistol while not in your pocket.

Now to try and help you decide.
I have both the Split and a Rear pocket made by Meco. Both well crafted, both function well as a pocket holster as designed.
Depending on your pocket size could make your decision for you. In 5.11 type pants, the rear pocket holster would probably only work in the front pocket, there are no traditional back pocket in these designed pants.
In Jeans, the Meco back pocket holster would easily fit the bill for either front or rear pocket, only if you wear larger pants and the pockets can accommodate it.
I'd suggest the split and wear it in the front pocket.
That's me, I'm not in love with back pocket carry.

Good luck on what you decide, but I think you are doing the best thing in asking others first.