Poll

If You Had a Question about  R9 Recoil, Would This Video Answer It?

Yes
4 (66.7%)
No
1 (16.7%)
Nothing New Here
0 (0%)
I've Been Looking for Something Like This
1 (16.7%)
Meh, just another gimmick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 01, 2012, 10:09:24 PM

Author Topic: Do You Like This Video?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Do You Like This Video?
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
http://youtu.be/t_0TfUHnJ2M

It's my video.  It's safe for Work, Home, or even Church.  I made it in response to the hundreds of times someone asks me, "How's the recoil on that XXXXXXXX pistol?" or "How does the recoil of pistol XXXXXXX compare with pistol YYYYYYYYY?"   Does this video answer those questions for you?

If you like the video, please feel free to post it around to other gun sites you visit.  I'd like this video to get out in the general gun population and see if folks think there is any real informational value in it.  If so, then I'll probably do more of them.

Thanks for voting.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline thor447

• Master
Re: Do You Like This Video?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
very nice video.  what camera are you using?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
very nice video.  what camera are you using?

Thanks.  The camera is the Casio EX-ZR200.  Was supposed to be out in North America in April, but it's not and Casio doesn't have an ETA.  I had to order it out of Asia as I was tired of waiting.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:15 AM »
Interesting watching the comparison in the recoil.  :) Thanks for posting that.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
I like it. Thanks for the effort and the post.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
If you don't like it, please let me know why.  I'm getting some great ideas on how to improve the concept.  I'd like to hear yours. 

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
I really like it, it is a good comparison, just take the 40 cal out and put the boberg in. Very informative though thank you.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
* * *  I'm getting some great ideas on how to improve the concept.  I'd like to hear yours.

I've already posted and voted that I like the video. The only suggestion I might make as to improving the concept would be to add a grid to the backdrop so as to give a more detailed reference for comparing the amount of recoil for the various handguns.

Thanks again for expending the time and effort obviously required for this informative project.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »
* * *  I'm getting some great ideas on how to improve the concept.  I'd like to hear yours.

I've already posted and voted that I like the video. The only suggestion I might make as to improving the concept would be to add a grid to the backdrop so as to give a more detailed reference for comparing the amount of recoil for the various handguns.

Thanks again for expending the time and effort obviously required for this informative project.

I'm on it.  Planning on a trip to HD or Lowes tonight for a suitable grid board backdrop.

I also need to build a jig for me so I can position the pistol in the video frame properly each time.  I was chuckling to myself earlier today about hanging a tennis ball from the jig like some folks have in their garages so they know where to stop the car as they enter.  I would stop moving forward when the tennis ball was touching the brim of my baseball cap.   ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
I also need to build a jig for me so I can position the pistol in the video frame properly each time.  I was chuckling to myself earlier today about hanging a tennis ball from the jig like some folks have in their garages so they know where to stop the car as they enter.  I would stop moving forward when the tennis ball was touching the brim of my baseball cap.   ;D

That sounds like a convertible sports-car owner. I used to do the same thing with my 1954 Triumph TR2. (I paid more on rent for its garage than I did for my bachelor pad in DC's Foggy Bottom area back in the day.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
I like the side-by-side-by-side comparison concept and agree with Richard on using a crosshatch background (with grid dimensions noted). 
Your video makes two things stand out:
1. Little pistols kick briskly.  We get used to the movement and compensate for it with practice, but the recoil impulse is still there. 
2. The "thumbs forward" grip the shooter was using is pretty standard for full size 1911's, but scary for the little guns.  I don't like the concept of having the tip of my support thumb forward of the muzzle during recoil.  Personally, I curl my thumbs down, revolver style.

S.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
Thanks Ljutic.  The video reinforces my belief that I do not want a PM40.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
I had a PM40 and loved it, great carry piece.
  I just sold it to my son in law about two weeks ago, only because I have eliminated all my 40 caliber guns to consolidate my ammo purchasing.

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:23 AM »
RecoilCam continues to evolve.  This is my latest from earlier today and I think this is a repeatable format going forward.  Thanks for the feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtmAk72664

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Might you use a timer/beeper that can signal
when to pull the trigger each time so the
gun flips will appear at approximately the
same time for each square when comparing
different guns? That should make when the
guns recoil more consistent. Wouldn't it make
for easier editing of your video?

Very cool, BTW.