Author Topic: new release Firefox browser  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
new release Firefox browser
« on: February 03, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »
Firefox just released the new browser with enhancements.  If anybody is interested in trying something besides Microsoft IE, this is an excellent choice.

If you try it, you can still run either one.  No harm will be done to your computer.  Remember to put all your favorites in one place, and you can start everything at once.  Each will be in a tab at the top.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: new release Firefox browser
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »
Bill:

Thank you for the notice.  I think I'll set aside an hour or so this weekend to download and "test drive" this Firefox software.  If you recommend it, it has to be good.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks, Richard.  Yes, please do.

At the bottom of your screen, you will have only one instance of Firefox running, as opposed to several of Internet Explorer.

Then, you would expect to have all your favorite sites opened as tabs on the single Firefox screen.  Everything is opened with a single click.  You switch among the tabs constantly.

You can easily eliminate advertisements, flash objects, etc.  Take time to play with the various options.

The coming next release of Internet Explorer will have many of these features, no doubt, but for now this is very appealing.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, especially after customizing to your preferences.

Bill

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:14:51 AM »
I personally enjoy mozilla browsers because they don't crash or have fatal errors nearly as much as the current Microsoft explorers.

I haven't tried this firefox one yet, and won't be able to until I get back into the states. Military frowns on downlaoding anything onto a government computer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:16:06 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:57:22 AM »
Bill:

You're right.  This Firefox is a great browser.  It seems to run rings around MSIE!   :o

Thanks for the information.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »
Great!  Now it worth while to get two extensions.

You can select Tools, Extensions, and Get more extensions.
Two that are especially nice are Adblock and Flashblock.  You can enter Flashblock in the search field if you do not see them right away.

Of course, remember to quickly look at all of the Options to see if you would like to change them.  For example, you can enter a single password, which will then provide all your different passwords later, as required.  Fields will be pre-filled.

Finally, get all the sites you routinely use throughout the day, and bookmark each of them.  Then, Manage Bookmarks, and put them all in one folder.

That way, you have all your day's stuff which can be started at once.

Thanks for trying it out, Richard.   Dave (dfsutton), I hope you try it out upon returning home.  You will be very pleased.  Be safe!

Bill
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:18:28 AM by Michigunner »