Author Topic: The most valuable firearm I've ever had in my hands!!  (Read 4183 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
The most valuable firearm I've ever had in my hands!!
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »
Ladies and Gents, I present to you the most incredible firearm I've ever been able to hold in my hands, the 1861 Henry.  Henry produced 12,000 of these from 1860 to 1865 until their factory was burned down.  Widely believed to be burned by Winchester.  Some serial #'s date to early 1866, but Henry documents these rifles as being manufactured through 1865.  Mostly these were steel framed rifles, and Henry estimates that 570-600 were the brass frame.  Many documents were lost when the factory burned so this is just their estimate and the exact number manufactured is unknown. 

This is a documented, fully engraved Henry chambered in .44cal rimfire, lever action, breech loading rifle. Current estimate is between $250,000.00 and $375,000.00!! I was lucky enough to hold this rifle tonight and go over it closely with it's current owner who is a dear friend of mine.  He rarely takes this gun out, but a few times a year to clean and oil it, then it goes back into a gun sock and back in the safe.  It was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to view a historic firearm. The firearm is thought to be unfired, the bore is rated at 98%, bluing is at 90%, and 90% remaining finish on the receiver. The firearm was engraved 151 years ago by Samuel Hoggson and is 1 of 4 known to exist with this engraving pattern.  As I was examining it, I thought about this forum and that I really should take some pictures to share with you all because you would appreciate a firearm of this caliber.  I knew that if I did not take any photo's I'd regret it and you all would shun me if you found out!   Enjoy!!

I just realized I created this in the wrong section.  My apologies.  If you want to move this to the 'Other Guns' section, please do so!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:45:35 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: The most valuable firearm I've ever had in my hands!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
Thor, thanks for posting...a once in a lifetime opportunity to handle something so unique!  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
Awesome rifle and experience for you, thanks for sharing.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »
That is so special.   Thank You :)

And thanks for the History info as well. 

I assume the owner had you wear gloves as you handled it?

Very nice!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:45:44 AM »
Absolutely, we were both wearing gloves while handling this rifle.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
Absolutely, we were both wearing gloves while handling this rifle.

OJ did the same with the knife.  8)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D
OJ did the same with the knife.  8)
[/quote]
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Bazinga!
- George Washington

Offline Amacro

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Excellent - thank's for sharing!
Al
PS love the backround history

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
 Thor,

I read your post and looked at the picture and said WOW out loud. What a cool experience and thanks for sharing all of it with us.

I don't read any other forums, firearms or whatever. This forum has such a collection of true gun lovers why look elsewhere. Not to mention the fact that many of the members are extremely knowledgeable. It almost makes me think we should start a gun trivia thread. A question could be asked and then we could see who is first to answer it correctly.

OK, may be that is a little much.

Anyway, thanks Thor!

Robar233

Offline gunthorp

• I do what the voices in her head tell me
    • Gunthorp
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »
That's amazing.  You're only supposed to load it on Sunday, and it'll shoot all week.
The nick of time comes right before the moment lost.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
Here is a link to an article from the CTD blog regarding the 1866 Winchesters engraved by Conrad F. Ulrich. If someone has the good fortune to find, recognize, and acquire one of these engraved Henry or Winchester classics from someone who does not know about or appreciate them, it could be likened to winning the lottery.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=26657&utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20120922-Chronicle-Vol1Iss10+Campaign

[Edited duplication.]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:05:52 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
Thanks for posting that article.  I'd liken it to winning the lottery as well.  I could never justify spending that much money on a firearm, but I'd sure as heck sell it if I owned one!!  I'm still on cloud nine after getting to hold that old Henry.
- George Washington