Author Topic: Homemade Kydex Press  (Read 5473 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Homemade Kydex Press
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
I got the opportunity to work with Kydex over the past 2 weeks and have really enjoyed it.  I have decided to build a few custom holsters for some of my local shooting buddies and myself.  Just wanted to share a picture of the press I built for molding the Kydex.   I finished it yesterday, and today it worked very well.  My aim was to provide even pressure throughout the entire press surface.  I feel that I have achieved that.   

In a couple of weeks, if I feel confidant enough with my results, and based on feedback I am receiving from a few friends, I hope to offer custom Kydex holsters to everyone.  Just a heads up for you Boberg owners, I have an idea for a Boberg holster that if I can build it right, will be far superior to it's counterpart that I've seen online.  If it is nice enough, I'll upload it on here and show it off!!  If it's not, forget I said anything!!  lol

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:56:19 PM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Homemade Kydex Press
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »
Nice looking press.  I especially like the touch of the x metal frame pressing down on the wood for even distribution.  Good design.

Best of luck in your endeavor.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
Thanks Reinz.  It has began as a hobby just building holsters for myself and a few friends of mine.  Word has began to spread and I would not complain if it turned into a larger endeavor.  I am not comfortable just yet to open it up to everyone, because I am not confident enough in my own abilities with the material to proclaim that I can build anything that is asked of me.  I am still learning everyday and once I feel that I can consistently produce a product that I am happy with, I would like to begin building holsters for everyone, not just friends.  I know that gun guys like us have an eye for detail and, especially us Rohrbaugh guys, expect not only quality materials and design, but good craftsmanship in whatever we purchase.   I am confident that if I can product holsters that I would purchase, than others would like them as well. 

I did have a thought that if I did take it to a larger level than this, that I would try to offer members of this forum a deal.  Granted, I am not anywhere near that stage of production yet, but I have an idea that I think members of this forum would really like if they wanted a holster made.  Please take in mind that this is not yet an offer, but my idea (for members of this forum) would be that the holster would be 100% cost covered by me in exchange for a blue or red gun mold that I do not own.  I've never seen any other holster company offer that, but I think that it would be a good idea.  Basically it would allow me to grow my business, while offering holsters well below cost.  So if someone wanted the Boberg holster that I'm currently trying to perfect the design of, they could send me a blue or red gun mold of, lets say...A Ruger SR9 or a XDm .45, and I'd make them the holster free of charge in exchange for a mold that I need.  What do you think?  I have found the molds on a website for about $15 cheaper than anywhere else, and they could basically get an excellent holster for the cost of a mold. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:10:42 PM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
That's an interesting concept about the molds/blue guns.  Those are the heart of your manufacturing.  And you need newer models to grow.

Good idea.  8)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
That's an interesting concept about the molds/blue guns.  Those are the heart of your manufacturing.  And you need newer models to grow.

Good idea.  8)

Milt Sparks uses aluminum gun copies for their molding of leather holsters....doesn't the heat melt the plastic guns?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
The molding temp of the kydex is still lower than the melting temperature of the red/blue training blanks.  I have not had any issues thus far with any that I've done.
- George Washington