Author Topic: Smart Guns and the Smart R9 that was Abandoned  (Read 1312 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Smart Guns and the Smart R9 that was Abandoned
« on: April 21, 2023, 08:43:19 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/technology/smart-gun-operating-facial-recognition-goes-sale-us-2023-04-21/

This brings back some memories.  Early Rohrbaugh enthusiasts may remember that Karl and Eric were originally working on a "smart gun" design for the R-9 involving a magnetic ring (and maybe other ideas) that would disable the gun from firing if you were not the person wearing the ring.  As I recall, they had some pretty good technology.

However, NJ passed a law stating that as as soon as the first smart gun was commercially available, all guns had to incorporate the technology (or similar -- I don't recall the exact details).  Karl and Eric decided they did not want to be the ones to trigger such legislation, and basically abandoned the R&D to that point.

The above article mentions that the NJ law was significantly watered down since then... but will still require gun shops to offer smart pistols when available.

The technology sure has changed, but looks like a smart gun will finally be hitting the market.

I am not intending to start a "smart gun" debate, although that is fine if you want.  However, my real point was to again recognize Karl and Eric for their leadership and commitment to the Second Amendment and the gun community.  They made a big sacrifice and completely pivoted their business to protect the community.  I think this selfless act gets forgotten sometimes.

Thanks to you both for your strong principles.

-Duane
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Smart Guns and the Smart R9 that was Abandoned
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »
Thanks for that interesting piece of Rohrbaugh history.  I was dry firing (snap cap of course) my Special Forces R9 last evening on the lanai….what a wonderful handgun!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 09:58:07 AM »
I think that Biofire Tech needs to do some more R&D before people can trust their lives to it.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 01:06:16 PM »
Fully agree!  Also note that the phone companies that provide facial recognition warn that it may not be secure nor predictably accurate.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 01:59:12 PM »
I'll pass on facial recognition pistols and electric vehicles.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 05:35:55 PM »
I'll pass on facial recognition pistols and electric vehicles.

When my wife and I returned to Florida after the last hurricane, the route we took home had no power for miles & miles. The Teslas and other electric vehicles stuck without power was entertaining for us but not for them...
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 08:01:22 PM »
Can you imagine the lawsuits coming when it won't work when you need it to.

Not for me.....I'll pass.  HARD pass!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 08:31:48 PM »
The bad day that you have to use your firearm is made worse when it has a dead battery.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
The problem may be in getting/affording gasoline in the future.  I may consider buying one of those older hybrids that run on used cooking oil….a likely new source of income for MacDonald’s?
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 10:47:25 PM »
"I am not intending to start a "smart gun" debate, although that is fine if you want.  However, my real point was to again recognize Karl and Eric for their leadership and commitment to the Second Amendment and the gun community.  They made a big sacrifice and completely pivoted their business to protect the community.  I think this selfless act gets forgotten sometimes.

Thanks to you both for your strong principles.

-Duane"

Thank you Duane for remembering and telling the forum members the behind the scene story about our "Safe Gun" technology for our R9 Series Pistols. Realizing that "things" would change if we went forward with it, we decided not to introduce that technology.
A discussion I had with Karl about it, after explaining that when such technology is offered by a firearms company, every firearm in the state of New Jersey would have had to have it installed in their model gun to be sold in that state. I told Karl we should nix that feature and make the R9 without it. Thankfully, he agreed. It was a good move in my estimation!

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.