Author Topic: Ruger SR1911  (Read 7669 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Ruger SR1911
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »

Well Heck…..Toad’s, not known for their patience, tend to jump the gun (no pun intended)….and procure the newest toys…..having served this Great Nation as many of you have and well know…when ya make it home, you splurge….anyway, this is the newest Toad toy….can’t wait to abuse it this weekend….it was very important to me to have a 100% American made piece, right down to the last screw.  More to come Brothers!  Many Great Americans have carried the 1911 into combat….if Ruger didn’t do her proud, I’ll give everything Ruger that I own away…..it’s that important to me…..those who get it….well, they just get it…..and I know a few of you do…..several come to mind…..you know who you are and ya’ll know you are always welcomed in Toadville…..Life is Grand here….sure beats the alternative….  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Ruger SR1911
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »

Toad,

I hope the Ruger works as well for you as the Super Glide.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »
Me too Brother.....the Super Glide is a wonderful lady...I've had or ridden everything Harley offers, this is my favorite ever....and fortunately, I could have any of them....I'll never take my good fortune for granted, as I've seen up close an personal, it could all be gone in a blink of an eye...my Brothers, such as yourself, know of what I speak...rank and status don't matter, in the end, we are all the same...that I know.....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »

Amen.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »

Well Heck…..Toad’s, not known for their patience, tend to jump the gun (no pun intended)….and procure the newest toys…..having served this Great Nation as many of you have and well know…when ya make it home, you splurge….anyway, this is the newest Toad toy….can’t wait to abuse it this weekend….it was very important to me to have a 100% American made piece, right down to the last screw.  More to come Brothers!  Many Great Americans have carried the 1911 into combat….if Ruger didn’t do her proud, I’ll give everything Ruger that I own away…..it’s that important to me…..those who get it….well, they just get it…..and I know a few of you do…..several come to mind…..you know who you are and ya’ll know you are always welcomed in Toadville…..Life is Grand here….sure beats the alternative….  

Toad.  Congrats on the Ruger SR1911.  I understand what you're saying.  Do enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
Toad, Welcome back and congrats on the fine Ruger, I'm sure you earned it. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »
Toad,  Welcome Back Bro !
  Did you get a chance to shoot this yet? I have been on the fence between a Ruger 1911 or a Springfield Range Officer. You may help push me one way or the other. (Springfield has a great Pricing program for LE, Military, and Retired Military though, I wrote Ruger asking if they offered such discounts and have not received an answer yet)

What year Super Glide do you have?  I had a 1973 SuperGlide for a while, Still have my 1945 "Flathead" army Solo Bike.

Chief
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:03:23 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
Chief,
FWIW, my gunsmith thinks that Springfield Mil-Specs are the best 1911 value on the market and the Range Officer is even better, particularly with your discount. He is looking at it from an internal and fit and finish point of view. The one he worked on for me shoots superbly and that was a GI model.

Here is a link on it from "American Handgunner."

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHND11/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:36:01 PM by tracker »

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Brothers and friends, thanks for the warm welcomes.  Chief, I will write more later, but I have fired the Ruger and it worked without issue.  I have to point out that the newest edition of gun Tests also gave the Springfield a slight edge, but at a slightly higher cost.  I liked the look of the Ruger better, brushed stainless and the fact that it came with Novac style sites.  But, the real thing for me was the 100% made in America product you get with the Ruger.  Springfield is not American made, in fact it bothers me that they took that original Springfield logo and are allowing it to be applied to foreign made guns.  Guns made in a country where it’s illegal to own them.  Anyway, every time I pick up my Ruger, I smile thinking about the Great Americans in AZ who built and assembled my gun.  I have nothing against Brazil, but I’d much rather put food in American mouths….  I’ve heard the Springfield 1911s are actually made on the same assembly line as the Taurus.  Nothing against Taurus either, I own some…but giving the choice…I had to buy American.   Bottom line……I went American….  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
Toad.  Thanks for the report on the Ruger 1911.  I do like the looks of it as well.  Thanks again.  Continue the good work!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
If it were me, I would choose the Ruger as well just from the "steel " point.

Chances are, I would not leave it stock.  My 1911 mechanic will Not work on any more Springfields just because of the inconsistences found within the steel of the gun itself.   He does quite a bit of hand filing.  He says it is quite disturbing when he is going along filing what appears to be hard steel and then all of a sudden hits a soft spot.  Kind of like coming across an unexpected ice patch while driving.
And this is even on the never models as well.

From his point of veiw, he does not like SF at all.

I own a few and love them, even a high dollar race gun.  But then, I did not have to  sweat through the work either.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
I had a Springfield Ultra Compact and the slide to frame fit was terrible it rattled like my old Army 45, the gun was new and unfired and I sold it the same way.
  I then got a Kimber Ultra CDP II for the same price but a world of difference in the slide fit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:29:40 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »
Bill Ruger was a genius and a businessman but I had forgotten about his influence on the magazine capacity law.  

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:18:34 AM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Bill Ruger was a genius and a businessman but I had forgotten about his influence on the magazine capacity law.  

Yes!  A genius in his time and even by today's standards, indeed.   Agreed.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »

Ben Franklin would agree.