Author Topic: IS there any news regarding the R45?  (Read 22126 times)

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
IS there any news regarding the R45?
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
Even though I now own several Kimber Ultras, I would still like to see an  R45................do any of the insiders here have any more info?

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: IS there any news regarding the R45?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
What are you looking for?  The one at the SHOT show felt great, looked nice, and I have no inclination to withdraw my deposit...  Although, now my OCD is kicking in, and I'm tempted to submit a second one, ideally w. sequential numbers... 
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
There have been reports that the R45 will be available, but no timetable has been released.   Further, there has been no official confirmation that the proto shown at SHOT will be the final [near final] product.

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
I do recall sending a deposit to a member and have not heard a thing since that time - a good while back.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »
As time goes by, the competition gets better and better. Case in point, the Springfield XDS. From all reports I have seen, it is an excellant Pistol and priced very nice.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Karl is working on the pistol shown at the SHOT SHOW in Jan., I'm told it has a very high priority.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
As time goes by, the competition gets better and better. Case in point, the Springfield XDS. From all reports I have seen, it is an excellant Pistol and priced very nice.

Chief

My son in law just bought an XDs fired the first mag and a jam on on number 5 (it is the 7 round extended mag) fired the second mag and a jam on number 5. Recoil is fairly snappy but not like a 340 PD. It didn't feel good in my hand but I haven't held any XD model that felt good to me.
He sold the gun today, said he didn't want to be bothered with something that wasn't 100% out of the box. ( I think his Nighthawk has him spoiled ) ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:15:44 AM »
We all would be spoiled by a Nighthawk!  For the longest time my Ed Brown Special Forces had me spoiled, the Nighthawks are unbelievably nicer than those!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:40:46 AM »
es Nighthawks are nice. (I have (4) ) I keep (2) in the safe. (1) in my Bedstand, and (1) in my conceal carry Briefcase. I am trying to decide which way to go now.
This is a T-3 w/ hard chromed slide

This is a Talon II Lightweight w/ Bobtail

This is a Stainless Predator (3rd one ever made)

I also have a fully tricked out Nighthawk/Remington 870 Pump, Super Shotgun.
Photobucket is messing with my head now though.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
Wow, I wish I was that flocked up!  ;D

Thanks for sharing Chief.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
Chief, I commend you on your obviously impeccable taste in handguns!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing Chief.  Beautiful grips on the T-3
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:14 AM »
Guys, for those of y'all buying Nighthawks and Ed Browns (both nice guns), give Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) guns a try. 

Benny's apprentice (James, who's father I shoot with, regularly) built mine, and it is a very nice gun. 

Same price, or cheaper, and a full custom - depends on how picky you are, I suppose.

Frankly, some Nighthawks approach SVIs price point... admittedly, SVI has a 14 month wait, and Benny has ~ 6 month one. 

Some of my friends are now running Shay Akai's guns - which start in the really high 3s, I believe, but I haven't handled or seen any of his single-stacks. 
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
 What is their Warantee?  How is their customer service? I had not heard anything about them. Where are they located? Most nighthawks are in the mid 3K's now. So other options are being looked at from my side. Are these just competition guns?

Chief 
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Oh, no not competition guns, just spec that you want a carry gun.  SVI has a TX Ranger as a customer (they build his duty guns, and his competition guns - he married well.), and they've made the guns for bodyguards for monarchs, etc. 

Benny built mine to carry, as well as competition.  (Mine was right at 3, hard chromed w. 6 Tripp mags, last year.) 

Akai also will build a carry gun, TMK. 

As far as warranties...  If its not right, I have no doubt it will be taken care of, but I'd be very surprised if its not right.  I don't think any of them have a formal warranty policy, simply because they mostly build custom competition guns - even S&W will squawk if you fire enough rounds.

If a custom competition builder builds a screwed up gun, his reputation is imperiled.  If its not remedied right away, it might be destroyed. 

The only "issue" with any of those builders, is that Benny will NOT build a pretty gun.  He cannot stand the idea of it.  My single-stack is quite lovely.  Clean lines, very well, done, and shoots like an absolute dream - and it has a slight chatter mark on the radius of the grip safety, which I am 99% certain was left there deliberately, because Benny builds "working" guns. 

Also, Benny only builds carbon steel guns, which I happen to agree with.

Where are you located?  For some reason, I think you are in FL - if you are, so is Akai.

True custom guns get addictive, and being local can be quite useful, when you start wanting to "tweak" your original design, and a local builder means giving him money in lieu of FedEx. 

SVI builds the prettiest guns. 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:59:07 PM by Aglifter »