Author Topic: Other holsters that fit R9  (Read 13254 times)

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
Other holsters that fit R9
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:47:09 PM »
I'll soon be getting my R9s and I'm wondering about holsters for it -- I already have two ordered, but while I am waiting for them I am wondering what else it might fit in.  I keep hearing that it is essentially the same size as a Keltec P32 and as a NAA Guardian .380, and I have half a dozen holsters for those guns.  Will the R9s fit comfortably in any of my existing leather?

I saw the thread that shows that my 1911 holsters might hold it -- funny, I had already discovered that about my Guardian .380, that it fits perfectly in my 1911 belt holsters.

Thanks for input.

Woodstock Doug

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Other holsters that fit R9
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:40:51 PM »
Doug:

RJ recently posted a link to an excellent chart comparing the sizes of most currently available pocket pistols.  You can find it here:  http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1125584018

If you're talking about fitted holsters, I don't believe you will find them to be interchangeable.  You might be able to use one of the R9 holsters for a G380, but it would be a "sloppy fit."  The Rohrbaugh, although lighter in weight, is slightly larger and has a deeper trigger guard than the Guardian.    
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:30:19 PM »
Doug,
I have an NAA Guardian .380 as well as an R9S.
Two of the pocket holsters I bought for the Guardian .380 fit the R9S very well.
The first is a DeSantis Nemesis.  They are cheap to buy - about 14 bucks - and hold up well for knocking around.

Second is a Galco Ph404 pocket holster.  It fits the R9S like it was custom made.  Rough on the outside & smooth on the inside, so it stays in your pocket.

I also have a RJ Hedley custom holster.  It is beautifully made, tightly boned to the contour of the gun.  It is so nice I hate to beat it up, so I've used it sparingly so far.  RJ is a senior member of this forum.  Check his profile for web address.
Unless you wear your trousers real tight, buy his RB - F/ LE.  It has that little hook along the slide end that helps keep the holster in your pocket.    

Hope the above info helps you, and good luck with your new "best friend" R9S.  Mine is a constant pocket companion.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:40:12 PM »
Yes, I was talking about fitted holsters -- I have a fair number of them for the Guardian and the P32 (and about six for the 1911) all Ron Graham holsters, and one from K&D.  I wasn't counting all the various Uncle Mikes and other nylon or other holsters I've picked up, including some with no names from used and discount racks.

My pride and joy, though, is the sharkskin Kentucky that Ron made for my P32, and that one in particular I was hoping I could use for the R9.  It is too beautiful for words, and since I expect to be essentially retiring the P32 once the R9 arrives, I hate to stop using a holster that is worth more than the gun it holds.  But.. hey, it always gives me an excuse to buy another holster, and while I'm likely to retire the P32, I'm not getting rid of it.  It can live with its accessories in my safe until they are needed, or until they can be passed on to someone who will love them.

Thanks for the link to that chart.

Woodstock Doug

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:24:47 PM »
Doug:

While I own the G380 and the G32 in addition to the R9s, I do not own a P32.  I therefore did not comment on the P32 in my previous message.  However, the more I study the chart which RJ posted, the more I think your prize P32 holster might just work for your forthcoming Rohrbaugh.  Let us know.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:42:13 PM »
Throughout the dialogue I do not understand why
someone would not buy a specific holster for the R9S
or use the recommended ammo; maybe it is like one of
my old friends, a Neurologist, observed: there are some
of us who are psychopathic deviates---rules are made
for everyone else; whatever is standard and recommended
I will do differently; there are a lot of threads on this forum
that suggest people really want to do their own thing in
the face of sound advice; over.  

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:10:15 AM »
Tracker, say you bought a new car and then purchased an aftermarket $1,000 stereo system to go with it.  Then, after a few years, you decided to purchase a much better car that would suit your needs more specifically.  Wouldn't you want to transfer that perfectly good stereo into your next car?

Certainly I want a holster that fits my gun perfectly, just as you would want tires that are the right size for a car.  Anything that doesn't fit perfectly is downright stupid.  But if it does fit two guns perfectly, why not use the same holster for both?  All I'm asking is whether the size/shape of other guns is the same as the R9.

I'm not cheap, or I wouldn't be buying a R9, and you can see from my posts that I have many hundreds of dollars worth of holsters from some of the best holster makers.  And while I am certainly as much of a rebel as I can be, I begin to twitch and drool when I get called a "psychopathic deviant."  I start to see spiders everywhere and the voices in my head start demanding I eat French Toast.  But what does that have to do with holsters?

Have you ever switched a scope from one gun to another?  Maybe you dared to use the same range bag for a new gun after you sold the old one?  A holster is an accessory, and an aftermarket one, at that.  It needs to fit the gun, absolutely, but there isn't anything in the owners manual that says it can't fit another gun, too.  (Wait, is that polyGUNy?  And I'm not even a Mormon!)  Seriously, there's nothing deviant about using it if it works.  I'm sorry if you think that is "breaking the rules."  I would love it if you cited that particular regulation for me; I must have been having one of my "episodes" during that part of my training.

:)

Gotta go- I'm about to buy a new pair of shoes that I will dare to wear with several different pairs of pants.  :)

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »
Woodstock Doug:

No, a leather holster molded for a P32/P3AT will not fit the R9S.  They really are too different in shape/size.  A nylon generic holster might work for all three, but not a leather holster.  If you try and change the shape of the leather holster, you most likely will end up ruining the shape of it and will not be able to use it for either one.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:35:50 PM »
Doug,

I am still laughing.  Hope you get that R9 soon.  Having it in your possession will answer many questions.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 09:56:08 PM »
WSD,

I held off looking at your response for 24 hrs., fearing
the salvo but your response was wonderful. First, I said
"us", not you and the word was "deviate'', not "deviant".
As my old deceased friend, the Neurologist explained to me,
it is not all bad. We run the yellow lights, push it right to
the edge of the cliff, sometimes engage in illicit affairs, and
then pull back just before disaster, simply because we know
where the line is drawn. God bless your soul: I am one of
you.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 10:07:05 AM »
On July 4 1776, delegates from 13 American colonies to the Second Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia's Independence Hall.  John Hancock, who was serving as President of the Congress, warned the delegates, "There must be no pulling different ways: we must all hang together."

Benjamin Franklin is said to have quipped, "We must indeed all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately."

All of us "cliff edgers" need to hang together.   ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:22 AM »
Richard S, good quotes to remember. Thanks!

The gun lobby needs to hang together.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 06:36:52 AM »
Just to follow up...

Kevin was right, of course -- the R9 doesn't fit into any holsters made for any of my other guns.  The trigger guard is the main culprit, as it is larger on the R9 than the Guardian or the Kel-Tec, so the R9 won't slide into any of those holsters.  It does "fit" into my 1911 holsters, but just not snugly enough that I'd be willing to trust retention while doing handstands, playing Tarzan, or wrestling alligators.  Roller skating with my 2 year old is also out of the question.

For the nonce, I am keeping it warm in a basic $15 Nemesis pocket holster while waiting on some real leather.  I ordered a Ron Graham Huckleberry and a K&D Mini-Defender, and once I get them I'll evaluate what other carry options I need.  

Peace, Love, and superior firepower
Woodstock Doug

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
I just went to the holster box, and tried most of the holsters I have.Mostly Milt Sparks, for a Glock, P7, 1911, sigs.
 Nothing comes close to fit the R9.
I then tried the R9 in my Beltster Holster. That is a belt slide for a 1911 sewn into a belt.
 The R9 fit just alright.
There's always the fanny pack.
I guess, like you, the Nemisis is the best for me until I get all the holsters I ordered.

Offline lexasgs400

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 09:31:54 AM »
has anyone tried the Pager Pal Concealed Holster
www.pagerpal.com