Author Topic: R9s vs. R380s  (Read 5314 times)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
R9s vs. R380s
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
Sorry for the repost, but it seems like more guys here visit the R9 more often......

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum and looking for some comparisons.  I am a police officer out in NJ and was looking for a reliable, and concealable off duty firearm to carry in the summer.  While I was originally considering the R9s, I have toyed with the idea of stepping down into the R380s. Here are some of  the reasons....

1.  Have to qualify 2x year with running minimally 100 rounds per qualification (60 day, 40 night).  Possible fatigue from the extra recoil using the 9mm vs. the 380.  Also, I have to shoot from 25 yards out.   I have heard that the 380 is easier to control at further distances, esp. with those small sights.

2.  This will be the first gun my wife will ever shoot, and will be the kept home gun while I am at work.  My off duty is an HK Compact .45, but that I use while in uniform going back and forth to work, as well as on duty for road details.  Needless to say, I think the .380 will be more manageable for her to practice with, as well as fire under a real life stress situation (GOD FORBID!!).

3.  With qualifications, and running a separate combat course, I would assume that the 9mm would generate more heat than the 380, and don't want to overstress the gun getting it too hot without a cool down period, that this gun apparently requires.

Also.....a lot of my fellow officers are carrying the Sig 238.  Nice gun, but have seen some feed problems/jams.  Originally I was contemplating the Kimber Solo.  Never shot it, but dry fired it at a LGS, and the trigger was nice, and felt good to hold.  Upon further investigation into this gun, I have heard/seen a host of problems, slide locking back after each shot, peening on the slide from the barrel rubbing up on it.  While this may be a nice gun someday, I don't want to be a test dummy.  Seems like all of these compact 9's (minus the R9) have some sort of problem.  Seems like less issues with the 380 round in the small gun world.

FYI.....I contacted Rohrbaugh and spoke with Maria, she kinda agreed with going with the smaller caliber with my current needs/situation.  She also said that if I placed a new order today, the wait time is a few weeks for the R380s.

Whether I get the R9s or the R380s, I will send it out to Robar and get their NP3+ coating and mags done.

Any thoughts, inputs, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  in advance.
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: R9s vs. R380s
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
dmunofo.  Welcome to the Forum.  I'm sure I can't improve on the advice Maria gave and will certainly agree with her comments.  The Rohrbaugh .380, with what you explained of your needs, definitely seems to be the fit.  Again, welcome.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:11:28 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
Sorry for the repost, but it seems like more guys here visit the R9 more often......

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum and looking for some comparisons.  I am a police officer out in NJ and was looking for a reliable, and concealable off duty firearm to carry in the summer.  While I was originally considering the R9s, I have toyed with the idea of stepping down into the R380s. Here are some of  the reasons....

1.  Have to qualify 2x year with running minimally 100 rounds per qualification (60 day, 40 night).  Possible fatigue from the extra recoil using the 9mm vs. the 380.  Also, I have to shoot from 25 yards out.   I have heard that the 380 is easier to control at further distances, esp. with those small sights.

2.  This will be the first gun my wife will ever shoot, and will be the kept home gun while I am at work.  My off duty is an HK Compact .45, but that I use while in uniform going back and forth to work, as well as on duty for road details.  Needless to say, I think the .380 will be more manageable for her to practice with, as well as fire under a real life stress situation (GOD FORBID!!).

3.  With qualifications, and running a separate combat course, I would assume that the 9mm would generate more heat than the 380, and don't want to overstress the gun getting it too hot without a cool down period, that this gun apparently requires.

Also.....a lot of my fellow officers are carrying the Sig 238.  Nice gun, but have seen some feed problems/jams.  Originally I was contemplating the Kimber Solo.  Never shot it, but dry fired it at a LGS, and the trigger was nice, and felt good to hold.  Upon further investigation into this gun, I have heard/seen a host of problems, slide locking back after each shot, peening on the slide from the barrel rubbing up on it.  While this may be a nice gun someday, I don't want to be a test dummy.  Seems like all of these compact 9's (minus the R9) have some sort of problem.  Seems like less issues with the 380 round in the small gun world.

FYI.....I contacted Rohrbaugh and spoke with Maria, she kinda agreed with going with the smaller caliber with my current needs/situation.  She also said that if I placed a new order today, the wait time is a few weeks for the R380s.

Whether I get the R9s or the R380s, I will send it out to Robar and get their NP3+ coating and mags done.

Any thoughts, inputs, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  in advance.
Having shot an R9 for eight years I think NEITHER the R9 or R 380 would be a good choice for your qualification requirements. As for your wife being a new shooter, small 380's are hard to shoot.  I have women in my CCW classes having difficulities all the time. They usually do better with compact and full size 9mm.  I'm sure some ladies are good with them. I see many more on a weekly basis that are not! For your needs I would give the M&P Shield consideration. It is made in 9mm and 40cal  .....JMO
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:45:55 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
dmunofo

Welcome to the forum.

You can always purchase one of each to see what will work best for needs.

I can tell you the .380 would work best for your wife if she does not have much experience with firearms.

The .9MM is snappy to shoot. It is manageable to shoot, you just need to practice with it, just like any firearm.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »
Dmunofo  - welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan that is hard to argue with.   And I am pretty hard core 'bigger rocks are better" and Tim Allen's thoughts of "MORE POWER".

As a reminder to some, American Rifleman did a comparison test of about 10 popular 380s about 2 yrs ago maybe?   The R380 was the ONLY one to come out with NO malfunctions.

Best to ya!

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I have an R380.

With regard to your comments, I think #1 is correct. 

I think #2 is possibly correct, although I agree that a small gun is not necessarily best for your wife's first gun.  I would certainly start her shooting on something else and then see how she does with a pocket pistol once she has learned the fundamentals.   Recoil, however, won't be a problem with the R380.

I'm not so sure about #3, and I woulnd't personally base a decision on that point.

I think the R380 is a hidden gem.  It is a very sweet shooting pistol.  The .380ACP does not push the limits of the design as 9mm does.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
I endorse the analysis by Duane ("DDGater"), our esteemed Administrator.

The .380 ACP is often disparaged as a "weak" cartridge. However, I never heard of anyone willing to take one voluntarily to prove a point.

"Placement, placement, placement" is the equivalent for ballistic results as "location, location, location" is for real-estate values. What our friends, the "big bore" advocates, often fail to consider is that many European military and police organizations used handguns chambered for the .380 ACP cartricge very effectively for many years.

I own two handguns chambered for the .380 ACP (a Colt Mustang and a North American Arms Guardian). I value them both very highly. However, they are trumped by the Rohrbaugh R9 as a pocket pistol. I do not own the Rohrbaugh K 380 ACP. I wish I did, for it is state of the art for its  caliber.

I usually feel adequately armed with just my R9 in my pocket. When I feel it prudent, I will carry a larger weapon as a primary -- usually a 1911-type .45 ACP or a H&K P7 9mm. Even so, if and when the s*** hits the rotating blades, a handgun is best used as a weapon to help you fight your way to a more effective weapon. (Here read some type of rifle or shotgun or both.)

Keep you guns clean, your powder dry, and your "six" covered.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:31:29 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks, Richard.  Its good to be "esteemed."  ;)

I actually shot the R380 prototype at the factory, years before it was actually introduced.  I was a fan then, and remain a fan. 
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Dr. Gonzo

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
The 380 is an absolute peach.
Super soft recoil. At worst it's recoil is like a .22 or 25 Beretta bobcat.
Love the hell outta mine, i actually over-shoot mine b/c it's that fun at the range.

Also about NP3, ask Maria if doing that would void the warranty, if it does, you might want to get a Stealth model instead. If it doesn't void it, make sure they(Robar) don't do anything silly like coat the extractor with NP3. I've heard too many stories of people sending their auto-pistols out to Robar and then complaining of F.T.Extracts.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »
dmunofo, welcome to the group.
  Get the Rohrbaugh of your choice for yourself and a M&P Shield or a Kahr P380 for your wife. ;D
  I had Robar do the NP3 on my R9 and couldn't be happier, shoots and ejects anything I feed it and is easy to clean. I'm not a fan of the Stealth finish because as you know all black finishes wear off and it is always very obvious with the silver base metal showing, much less obvious on a silver finished gun.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
I did speak with Maria, and yes...the NP3 coating does void the warranty.  Robar themselves recommends putting a few hundreds rounds through the gun prior to applying the NP3 coating. I already know that I will be getting the NP3 coating...so for  me ordering the Stealth model is a waste. 

Maria also said that unless the gun is going to be in a salt environment or near the water, then there is real no benefit to getting the NP3+ vs. the NP3.

Maria has a parts list that she will send me of the specific parts to coat and the other ones not to coat.   
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »
Here is the list from Maria of the parts that can and cannot be coated.

Can Be Coated: Slide, Frame, Trigger, Barrel, Plunger, Barrel Pin, Trigger / Mag Pins, Magazine Release and Magazines

DO NOT Coat: Extractor, Ejector, Sear / Trigger Bar, Hammer, Springs and Grip Screws

If there is a part not on the list don’t assume that it’s ok to coat give us a call first to verify…